Thai Authorities Decide To Restrict Alcohol Sales During Songkran

webfact

Personaly I think the best bet is just to Ban songkran, Its just an excuse for all the dickheads to come out on the streets and roads. again Ban it

Ban public water throwing on strangers. The roads get very slippery when wetted during the dry season due to the buildup of sludge and other muck. Shooting water guns might be sanook but should have no place in this traditional celebration. Keep the water for the elders.
  • Like 2

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should they respond? Tourists don't care if alcohol is banned in a few streets. Still plenty of places to drink.

If your hotel happens to be in one of these areas, as a tourist you are going to care...

LOL. Not all tourists drink all day like some people on here. Many tourists don't drink at all. Even if they do, how many stay in their hotels to drink? Plenty of places to drink a few streets away.

• Like 1

This ban on alcohol is not going to work. all it does is encourage the masses to stock up alcohol and party elsewhere the authorities should rather keep an eye out for drunk and disorderly people. who wants to party under these conditions anyway, rather stay at home or party in the soi where you live. much better and much safer. remember the beatings, the robberies and the killings from last year.

If that is the case, then it will work. If the drunk idiots have gone elsewhere to party, then the safe zones will be safe for those that are there having alcohol-free fun.

Restrict Songkrang to ONE day {Everywhere} and save Lives....

You sound like a typical boring, grumpy farang. Go home if you don't like it here. Thais love Songkran, and this is Thailand. Don't live here if you don't like it.

• Like 2

Personaly I think the best bet is just to Ban songkran, Its just an excuse for all the dickheads to come out on the streets and roads. again Ban it

Ban public water throwing on strangers. The roads get very slippery when wetted during the dry season due to the buildup of sludge and other muck. Shooting water guns might be sanook but should have no place in this traditional celebration. Keep the water for the elders.

You mean only throw water at the old farangs? Yes, that sounds like a great idea. Give them something else to complain about.

• Like 1

Great suggestion... ban Thai New Year. You'd be very popular. How about banning New Year celebrations in your country too?

I would like to see the holiday dialed back to a couple of days nationwide. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on someone from the government popping off prior to the holiday period. This happens every year and nothing really changes.

The TAT is not going to put out the "restrictions" as it would lead to even more confusion than the rules during a national election.

Passing out helmet padding in theory could reduce injuries. In theory...

No one who has not spent time living here will ever be able to comprehend what is going on. The only losers from this stuff is the tourist who will be walking around confused or being assaulted. I agree that driving, especially motorbikes, while ice water rain down is probably the most dangerous part of this revered Thai holiday.

Even if they do, how many stay in their hotels to drink? Plenty of places to drink a few streets away.

Not that you or I could give specifics, I can however attest that the day before the previous weekend that had an alcohol ban across the board (gubernatorial election weekend) the hotel my parents were in (potentially in the "alcohol free zone") was packed as was the day before. The nights of the imposed ban - ghost town. Following night after the ban was lifted - business as usual...

I'd also add that 80% of said hotels drinkers/diners were tourists...

Not all tourists after a day of sightseeing and being flour bombed are going to be wanting to venture outside of their hotels after having recovered from said flour bombing...

Every year they make these same restriction in one form or another and every year the same responses here. Panic for some and rant for others. Stock up on food and stay home. This was fun when I was 20 and it can be fun for others now - I choose not to play anymore and plan accordingly. I also avoid new years - all three of them.

• Like 1

"Anyone caught driving or riding in a car while under the influence of alcohol will be subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine."

I hope there's something lost in translation here. This implies that passengers in cars, which I would assume would also apply to the thousands of revellers in the back of pickup trucks, could be arrested.

I hope nothing is lost in the translation. Excellent idea.

How many people actually drive down Khao San anyways? Is it not 95% foreign tourists on foot?

Nonsense...

Khao San area during Songkran is like 95% Thai. Tens of thousands of Thai packed in having water fighted and drinking.

I live in CM and last Songkran, a bib came home on the first day, as he was riding his m'bike past my house his phone rang, saw him stop to answer it and promptly forgot to put his feet downcheesy.gif when i rushed outside to help him, he got all <deleted> shirty with mecrazy.gif this guy was beyond pi$$ed. The neighbor told me that he's the same every year and promptly left him lying there.

"Anyone caught driving or riding in a car while under the influence of alcohol will be subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine."

I hope there's something lost in translation here. This implies that passengers in cars, which I would assume would also apply to the thousands of revellers in the back of pickup trucks, could be arrested.

I believe the law actually says that no-one in the vehicle can drink an alcoholic beverage (driver/passengers) - you'll find that's why the bus companies do not allow passengers to drink.

If the passengers are already drunk *but driver is ok*, I understand that's alright.

According to the Land Transport Act of 1978 it's been illegal to ride in the back of a pickup for a long, long time - just one of those rules nobody seems to pay attention to.

Cheers

I was thinking the same, Have one or three too many, take a taxi home and get locked up for six months. The lunatics are running the Sonkran asylum! clap2.gif Another reason for me to remain at home as per usual each Sonkram. My indoors Policewoman is much more tolerant and even fetches me another beer! wai.gif

Restrict Songkrang to ONE day {Everywhere} and save Lives....

For a lot of places (most ?) Songkran is only one day. For us if you go out between 0800 and 1900 you will get wet. After 1900 its just about finished.

For me that's no problem, participate or stay in one day.

Agree with suggestion for enforcing one day only.

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 1

Alcohol is banned in many countries (including USA and UK) during certain events.Also banned in certain streets in UK and USA all the time. Nothing new here.

What events in the USA do they ban the sale of alcohol. Since it is a state by state law about the sale of alcohol it is up to the individual states to decide. I am from New Mexico and the only state widw ban on alcohol is during election and that is from 7am until 7pm while the poles are open. There maybe bans in other states that I am not aware of but to compare to the disfuntional Thailand is a far reach

If what they propose is not ridiculous enough it is what the expect to see as a result that is absolutely incredulous.

Will have nothing but a negative impact and vehement backlash. I can not fathom just how incompotent and down right stupid these dickheads are. It is painful how stupid they are.

• Like 1