Thai Authorities Decide To Restrict Alcohol Sales During Songkran

webfact

What a whiney bunch of babies. If you aren't fond of the festivities just stay home, as I'm sure you would for major holidays in your home countries (at which times road deaths from drunk driving also increase).

Granted the plan is not well thought out and it is unlikely to result in any meaningful drop in drunk driving related deaths, but at least they did something to help save face. You gotta give 'em credit for that.

The problem isn't drunk driving per se...it is a lack of education and a lack of serious consequences for breaking the law. But then if they enforced the laws here it would be nothing more than our home nanny states with tropical weather...and I can get that in Florida (or Louisiana and Mississippi if I prefer the Issan experience).

There's no need to complain so much. If you want to drink there will be plenty of places where you can do so and if you want to avoid drunk drivers stay off the roads. As for me, I enjoy Songkran and will be out in the streets with my water gun at hand...so beware! I might even go as far as taking a motocy from place to place (riding, not driving. I don't drunk drive anymore). Shocking I know, but after all, TiT smile.png

I want to like this post x 100.

Far too many miserable old white people in Thailand for my liking.

Like it or leave it.

I agree with you, exterminate all OLD white people. Those finishing up in hospital with a bucket wrapped around your face when going out for you evening meal........I was miserable in AEU. I would love to see this annual festival---9 till 5 for 2 days, footpaths only, (water throwing) not on main roads this is deadly People see the danger in drinking.

To restrict certain places---stupid where and who restricts sales in moma and popa shops in villages, etc-----just apply the law for drunks and danger water throwing. I am a miserable white old past it sex pat that should be sent home for being injured bad in a road accident of late, but thats my fault for being miserable and if I wasn't here the accident wouldn't have happened, wish you would have warned me 4 months ago. then I would have been a whiter colder more miserable old git back in the U.K.

Edited by ginjag

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a whiney bunch of babies. If you aren't fond of the festivities just stay home, as I'm sure you would for major holidays in your home countries (at which times road deaths from drunk driving also increase).

Granted the plan is not well thought out and it is unlikely to result in any meaningful drop in drunk driving related deaths, but at least they did something to help save face. You gotta give 'em credit for that.

The problem isn't drunk driving per se...it is a lack of education and a lack of serious consequences for breaking the law. But then if they enforced the laws here it would be nothing more than our home nanny states with tropical weather...and I can get that in Florida (or Louisiana and Mississippi if I prefer the Issan experience).

There's no need to complain so much. If you want to drink there will be plenty of places where you can do so and if you want to avoid drunk drivers stay off the roads. As for me, I enjoy Songkran and will be out in the streets with my water gun at hand...so beware! I might even go as far as taking a motocy from place to place (riding, not driving. I don't drunk drive anymore). Shocking I know, but after all, TiT smile.png

Like it or leave it.

What the F#$% has "enforcing existing laws" to do with a nanny state?

Are you so blind, that the lawlesness in Thailand or the stupid attempts to make anything better really deem you as "well done"?

I said it before: as long as I , my family or friends might die, because one moron doesn't know that "lao khao + motocy= danger", I will complain.

mind you: I enjoy Songkran.

Even with ice cold water.

This is not about a festival: this is about the enforcement of existing laws, which might actually save many lives!

Right: in my home= country, we have festivals, alcohol and road - deaths!

The difference is: if someone is being caught, on a motor- bike, in a car ...even on a bycycle...p1ssed like a whole herd of buffaloes, he can not talk or bribe his way out of it!

But I guess, that is a little fact, you miss, while you were out, shopping for rose- tinted glasses!

• Like 1

1. The police won't bother:

We cannot ride without a helmet. This is only enforced when police are in bonus week. You cannot do U-turns on main roads. Everyone does it. You cannot drive counter traffic on high ways. Bikes do it. etc..

2. Unlicensed drivers

Most drivers never learnt to drive. They don't have a driving license. Many 12 year old students drive their car to school. They can barely see over the wheel and never took driving lessons.

I think this is another waste of time. More laws no one will follow or enforce.

12 year olds driving their car to school! Nonsense. Unless you know different. in which case what school?

Like it or leave it.

What the F#$% has "enforcing existing laws" to do with a nanny state?

Are you so blind, that the lawlesness in Thailand or the stupid attempts to make anything better really deem you as "well done"?

I said it before: as long as I , my family or friends might die, because one moron doesn't know that "lao khao + motocy= danger", I will complain.

mind you: I enjoy Songkran.

Even with ice cold water.

This is not about a festival: this is about the enforcement of existing laws, which might actually save many lives!

Right: in my home= country, we have festivals, alcohol and road - deaths!

The difference is: if someone is being caught, on a motor- bike, in a car ...even on a bycycle...p1ssed like a whole herd of buffaloes, he can not talk or bribe his way out of it!

But I guess, that is a little fact, you miss, while you were out, shopping for rose- tinted glasses!

ANGSTA---just to add about your SH#t comment about old miserable white--are you bronzed adonis 25, in a penthouse pots of money and so happy----pewk

1. The police won't bother:

We cannot ride without a helmet. This is only enforced when police are in bonus week. You cannot do U-turns on main roads. Everyone does it. You cannot drive counter traffic on high ways. Bikes do it. etc..

2. Unlicensed drivers

Most drivers never learnt to drive. They don't have a driving license. Many 12 year old students drive their car to school. They can barely see over the wheel and never took driving lessons.

I think this is another waste of time. More laws no one will follow or enforce.

12 year olds driving their car to school! Nonsense. Unless you know different. in which case what school?

Maybe a farm tuk tuk or mams motor cycle, ---he could mean really, I know what he is trying to say though

Alcohol is banned in many countries (including USA and UK) during certain events.Also banned in certain streets in UK and USA all the time. Nothing new here.

In at least 2 states in Australia, certain high risk times such as Christmas, Easter, and many long weekends you get double demerit points and double fines on the designated days for all motoring offences from running red lights to drink driving. Fair enough I say. Drink driving is an automatic ban, no questions asked. Double the time during the designated days. I don't think Thailand has a 'point' or 'endorsement' system for licences - heck, an awful lot of people don't even have a licence and they seem to drive around for all of their lives without a problem.

Personally I don't like the water throwing. My husband loves it and goes out and has a lot of fun usually just one day is enough - here in Chiang Mai it goes on for a good 5 days. People throwing mucky moat water on me is not my idea of fun, but I get it that most people, especially Thai's enjoy it. And I watch from the balcony as the very young children over the road try to throw their little buckets of water at cars and end up with more on themselves. I enjoy watching that, but don't want to be a part of it. I go to the markets early in the morning, and when people see I have food shopping they leave me alone. That's the way it should be.

Drink driving is inexcusable. When we reached the age, our mother told us that if she ever smelt alcohol (and she would come into our bedroom during the night sniffing to find anything) that she would phone the police, give them our name and plate number and tell them to look out for us. I really believe she would have done that. At the time I thought she was such an old evil witch, but now I agree with her.

The attitude has rubbed off on me too. I'm all for point zero - no alcohol in your system if you're driving. I know a lot of people don't agree with this, but I'll argue anyone down who takes me on. As my mother said; if you drink and drive and have an accident you get everything you deserve, but you might just hit and maybe kill someone else's child. That is something she said she could never live with. - the guilt of knowing that some mother somewhere was grieving the loss of their child, no matter what the age they were, they were her child.

That's something everybody should think about before getting into their car or on their bike after having a drink., It just isn't worth it.

• Like 1

Restrict Songkrang to ONE day {Everywhere} and save Lives....

You sound like a typical boring, grumpy farang. Go home if you don't like it here. Thais love Songkran, and this is Thailand. Don't live here if you don't like it.

I know many Thais who think it's gone OTT. Return it to the 3 day genteel festival it was. A simple splash or pouring a cup of water on the shoulder and "Sawasdee Songkhran"

I remember being sat next to other 'older' family members and the younger ones walking past pouring water over hands and a wee bit on the neck. Wai first and after. Following lots of food, drinks, fun. Being wet when it's near 40C outside makes sense. Adding ice to the water doesn't. Of course I'm just a grumpy old farang who should go home rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Anyone caught driving or riding in a car while under the influence of
alcohol will be subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine.

Caught being an operative word..... in Pattaya they won't be bothered trying and I doubt you could find a sober person on the last day.

pinball, on 25 Mar 2013 - 23:16, said:

Personaly I think the best bet is just to Ban songkran, Its just an excuse for all the dickheads to come out on the streets and roads. again Ban it

Dont be stupid. That is like saying Ban New Years in the USA/UK etc. not going to happen!!

You sound like a typical boring, grumpy farang. Go home if you don't like it here. Thais love Songkran, and this is Thailand. Don't live here if you don't like it.

I know many Thais who think it's gone OTT. Return it to the 3 day genteel festival it was. A simple splash or pouring a cup of water on the shoulder and "Sawasdee Songkhran"

I remember being sat next to other 'older' family members and the younger ones walking past pouring water over hands and a wee bit on the neck. Wai first and after. Following lots of food, drinks, fun. Being wet when it's near 40C outside makes sense. Adding ice to the water doesn't. Of course I'm just a grumpy old farang who should go home rolleyes.gif

Yeah, most of all the Thais who work at my place, young and old, love Songkran, but think it's way OTT now and avoid it when people go a bit nuts and hate places like Khao San and Pattaya around this time.

I guess, according to that other poster, these people should be banned from their own country then?

I love it for one day and love seeing women a bit more flirty and typsy than they normally would be. But after a certain time in the evening or going on for too many days it becomes irritating, especially the dirty water, over-excited farangs, ice and the stupid powder.

One place I will avoid is RCA, never, never again; was Hell.

Edited by Hawkman

pinball, on 25 Mar 2013 - 23:16, said:

Personaly I think the best bet is just to Ban songkran, Its just an excuse for all the dickheads to come out on the streets and roads. again Ban it

Dont be stupid. That is like saying Ban New Years in the USA/UK etc. not going to happen!!

Thailand could benefit from an Oliver Cromwell. Nothing like some Puritans to stamp out assorted debauchery.

• Like 1

Thanks for the trip back in time. I often wondered what Thailand was like way back when.

I was at the Udon Thani beer garden last night and went to take a whizz. Standing at the next urinal was a rather inebriated Thai gent who staggered to his right doing similar. I just managed to miss the pre songkran event.

"Deputy national police chief Ruangsak Jaritek said on Monday that
revelers will be allowed to enter these areas, but only if they park
their vehicles outside of the safe zones’ boundaries. Anyone caught
driving or riding in a car while under the influence of alcohol will be
subject to six months’ imprisonment or a THB30,000 fine."

Riding? So i cant take a taxi to get my drunk a$$ home?

Is it just me, or are they banning alcohol in all the foreigner spots. Are farangs the ones who are causing all the road accidents?

Yep...we are also the ones who vote for whoever buys us a beer and -as we are mostly Buddhists- have to be reminded of that frequently!

Who is going to enforce these laws?

Organize a posse from Thai Visa. I am sure the sight of elderly farangs wearing white socks and sandals with bulging beer bellies standing by the motorways will encourage compliance. wink.png

Is that what all the farangs look like in your part of the world? sick.gif

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

>Who is going to enforce these laws?

lockquote>

Organize a posse from Thai Visa. I am sure the sight of elderly farangs wearing white socks and sandals with bulging beer bellies standing by the motorways will encourage compliance. wink.png

Is that what all the farangs look like in your part of the world? sick.gif

Well at Tescos today was an elderly fat white guy in a wheelchair being pushed by his g/f. He was in the uniform.

However, the description I mostly reflects patong except I failed to mention the low class tatoos.

I find it incredible that every place I have visited in Udon Thani is 100% compliant with checking id cards for entry into clubs and no smoking, vs what I found in Phuket. My gut feeling is that the issue of compliance with the alcohol restrictions is in places like Pattaya and Phuket and not in the real Thailand.

Edited by geriatrickid