16 Year Old Worker Falls 33 Floors To His Death At North Pattaya Construction Site

Rimmer

16 year old worker falls 33 floors to his death at North Pattaya Construction Site
PATTAYA:--On Sunday Afternoon Police were called to a construction site in North Pattaya to investigate reports of a 16 year old construction worker who fell 33 floors to his death.

At the scene Police inspected the body of Khun Saram who sustained major head trauma consistent with a fall from a high floor. The incident occurred at the site of the Wongamat Tower which is a new 40-storey condominium.

The victim and a friend, Khun Gitishai aged 23, were working on the 33rd floor.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/80440/16-year-worker-falls-33-floors-death-north-pattaya-construction-site/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-03-26

A real inspection of the site could probably turn up a number of safety violations, but who would want to go up and inspect board walks that have already collapsed?

16 is a tad young to be working on high rise construction, I would think, There is virtually no 'occupational safety' enforcement up here in CVM, is it any different in Bangkok and the other building boom areas?

Minimum age for employment in Thailand is 15.

Nonetheless, if the prospective employee is between 15 and 18 years of age, additional restrictions apply such as the necessity of informing the Labor authority

Additional restrictions apply as to who can be employed to carry out certain hazardous activities.

Additional restrictions also are applicable concerning the types of work that groups of employees such as children or women can be required to undertake.

Fatalities still happen despite all those restrictions...

Edited by Thorgal
  • Like 1

Same as Indonesia. I have seen 2 bill board posters on a ladder 8 metres above a busy road with traffic whizzing about it. no helmets, harnesses or safety boots. If they introduced western OH an S standards the building industry would be crippled and the most sought after position would be work safety inspector. They would be millionaires in the first week with tea money.

Same as Indonesia. I have seen 2 bill board posters on a ladder 8 metres above a busy road with traffic whizzing about it. no helmets, harnesses or safety boots. If they introduced western OH an S standards the building industry would be crippled and the most sought after position would be work safety inspector. They would be millionaires in the first week with tea money.

Undoubtedly health and safety concerns at the workplace are far behind what they would be in most "developed countries," but construction work has a higher risk of injury than most other occupations in every country. Thailand is a developing country. That doesn't mean people are innately stupid or careless. It means the economy and all that is associated with it has not fully developed. As a consequence many people from developed countries come here because they enjoy a better lifestyle than they would on the same amount of money back home.

Apparently some of these people from the allegedly developed countries rejoice whenever something unfortunate happens and scramble to score some points by making unfounded and childish comments regardless of the truly sad circumstances that seems to get them weirdly excited. I guess that also is a trait of some of the denizens of the supposedly more developed cultures.

Fortunately it's not likely this poor kid's family and friends will read any of this ... including one comment that was thankfully removed. I'm not sure why, but I'm still surprised at the insensitive nonsense posted by people trying to prove how much better, more intelligent, more advanced they are. You're proving something, but it isn't what you think.

There have been significant reductions in the number and rate of injury over the last 20 years or more. Nevertheless, construction remains a high risk industry. Although it accounts for only about 5% of the employees in Britain it still accounts for 22% of fatal injuries to employees and 10% of reported major injuries ...

...an estimated 1.7 million working days were lost due to work-related ill health and a further 0.6 million due to workplace injuries. This equates to 0.87 and 0.34 days per worker (LFS)

• Like 2

sad - no safety harness of course...I don't think I would want to walking around at 33 floors up on a construction site without a wire rope harness... damn - sad and may the kid be happier where he is now...

very sad 16 yo , safety equipment is for sale in thailand but i guess its still more expensive than the " compensation " for the family

safety means nothing more than putting up some signs at the site

Off topic and not funny post in bad taste removed, if that is the sum total of your contribution to this kids sad death then please stay out of this topic.

Undoubtedly health and safety concerns at the workplace are far behind what they would be in most "developed countries," but construction work has a higher risk of injury than most other occupations in every country. Thailand is a developing country. That doesn't mean people are innately stupid or careless. It means the economy and all that is associated with it has not fully developed. As a consequence many people from developed countries come here because they enjoy a better lifestyle than they would on the same amount of money back home.

Apparently some of these people from the allegedly developed countries rejoice whenever something unfortunate happens and scramble to score some points by making unfounded and childish comments regardless of the truly sad circumstances that seems to get them weirdly excited. I guess that also is a trait of some of the denizens of the supposedly more developed cultures.

Fortunately it's not likely this poor kid's family and friends will read any of this ... including one comment that was thankfully removed. I'm not sure why, but I'm still surprised at the insensitive nonsense posted by people trying to prove how much better, more intelligent, more advanced they are. You're proving something, but it isn't what you think.

>There have been significant reductions in the number and rate of injury over the last 20 years or more. Nevertheless, construction remains a high risk industry. Although it accounts for only about 5% of the employees in Britain it still accounts for 22% of fatal injuries to employees and 10% of reported major injuries ...

...an estimated 1.7 million working days were lost due to work-related ill health and a further 0.6 million due to workplace injuries. This equates to 0.87 and 0.34 days per worker (LFS)

There are no such post in this thread. Yours is the first self-complacent one. No one here is patronizing the Thais, but you patronize the other posters.

• Like 1

>There have been significant reductions in the number and rate of injury over the last 20 years or more. Nevertheless, construction remains a high risk industry. Although it accounts for only about 5% of the employees in Britain it still accounts for 22% of fatal injuries to employees and 10% of reported major injuries ...

...an estimated 1.7 million working days were lost due to work-related ill health and a further 0.6 million due to workplace injuries. This equates to 0.87 and 0.34 days per worker

(LFS)

There are no such post in this thread. Yours is the first self-complacent one. No one here is patronizing the Thais, but you patronize the other posters.

they removed the really bad ones allready , i could still see some in my gmail inbox and the moderators are very right in doing so ,

...an estimated 1.7 million working days were lost due to work-related ill health and a further 0.6 million due to workplace injuries. This equates to 0.87 and 0.34 days per worker

(LFS)

I suggest you read the post directly above yours.

my god, if this story comes on thai news, no thai would consider buying anything overthere, ghosts, you know :)

went to kao lak a few weeks ago

my wife's thai collegues do not even dare to go close that place...

Poor kid, Usually at the highest(freshest) point of a construction site firstly ,safety- and experienced builders, have to make the workplace safe in order for the normal workers to be working within accaptable risk and safety environment.

Maybe the problem was there..At least he should have been under some guidance, around the clock.. I wonder what happpened.

R.I.P.