Lap/public Pool

Hi!

Is there a public pool in Samui? Or does anybody know of a hotel pool, which can be used for a small fee?

I would like to exercise/swim again more or less everyday and looking for a pool here... (living in Chaweng, so looking in this area or maybe also Bophut or so...)

And should be at least 25 meters.

Thnks a lot

Very calm right now....at least Ban Tai and Maenam beaches ... the last few days will probably stay this way too thumbsup.gif

2013-03-25-426.jpg

Ban Tai Beach

Jimmy - you have to stop doing this.

All of the trolls think that Samui is overrun with Russians/Koreans/Japanese/Chinese and that developement has ruined the jungle/beaches.

If you keep on showing people what it is really like - well, self-fulfilling professy springs to mind.

Apologies to flip - sorry.gifofftopic.gif

Back to the subject.

The place on the Ghost Road (Bangrak) - does encourage outside customers in it's pool. Not sure how big it is.

The Sala Samui (Choengmon) does have a lap pool and you 'might' be able to use it if you join the fitness centre.

Melati (Plai Laem) does allow gym members to use it's 'ancient' pool - but it is difficult to do good laps - unless breast stroke.

The biggest pool on the island is at the santiburi resort - but I do not know if they allow outsiders.

Sorry if this does not help.

• Like 1

opps sorry Tropo! w00t.gif I keep forgetting about the trolls biggrin.pngtongue.png

Seems to me there was a similar topic two or three years back which drew blanks....from what I remember.

As for Santi buri, you are lucky to get through the guards at the gates, that alone use the swimming pool .... rolleyes.gif But the other suggestions you made might be worth the OP to look into! wink.png

I agree with Montii in regards to the difference.... although now the waters are getting much calmer (at least compared to a week or two ago) But there seems to be lots of people "power swimming" in the sea.... It would not be hard to use two points to have a rough length of a lap pool. whistling.gif

actually, this is an island and on the other side of the hotels is a beach, and behind that a sea. Maybe I missed something, and the next one is asking for a tanning salon.

Ah, reflects a misunderstanding of swimming for exercise. Couple of points. First, having a lap pool means being able to calculate your distance easily. Second, besides the fact that ocean swimming involves dealing with waves and surface chop (which varies day to day), you don't get as much workout per distance, because you are nearly as light as the water, and so aren't using as much energy per stroke as in a pool. This is important to some of us.

Oh, I do that, swimming for ~1 hr nonstop for exercise in the sea almost daily. Did that along Chaweng Noi, from one end to the other, that was like a pool, no waves and nice water and swimming without turning all the time. You can measure the distance with Google Earth, however don't know about the jet ski situation there now. Did many rounds also between the Boathouse and Tongsai Bay. Lipa Noi is perfect too. So are many places. Now I just swim direction horizon since many years. It's so beautiful. Waves are almost never high, the Gulf is more a lake than a sea. Almost no salt too, compared to other seas in the world, because of the water from Chao Phraya flowing into the Gulf....

Guess, it's more an ideological gap. I love swimming for exercise and I love doing that in warm tropical waters under blue sky and the blue horizon or the green scenery of the coast in front of me. A perfect combination. Actually that's one piece of the whole story why I live here. Swimming laps in a pool is nice too, if you live in Budapest.

• Like 1

Choeng Mon beach resort has a (25m?) pool @THB 100 per session.

If the OP is a serious swimmer why not consider swimming a mile or so in the sea parrallel to fishermens village & walking back along the beach to his start point afterwards? Anyone doing so should ensure they're fully hydrated beforehand (inc electrolite) to avoid any heat-related probs & I would suggest having a 3rd party/observer too.

Jimmy: As you're a keen photographer how about photographing the skein(s) of white ibis that fly over the treetops in Maenam @ last light while heading towards bophut & using the ring road for navigation?

Edited by evadgib

the poster wants a pool to do his laps,not the ocean,as some people seem to be advising.I know of 2 places but they are n't 25 metre pools.one is at smile house in fisherman village,the pool is about 17 metres,and costs 50 baht to use.the other is at that condominium block next to tesco's and is 100 baht a day but only looks 15 metres in distance

• Like 1

actually, this is an island and on the other side of the hotels is a beach, and behind that a sea. Maybe I missed something, and the next one is asking for a tanning salon.

Ah, reflects a misunderstanding of swimming for exercise. Couple of points. First, having a lap pool means being able to calculate your distance easily. Second, besides the fact that ocean swimming involves dealing with waves and surface chop (which varies day to day), you don't get as much workout per distance, because you are nearly as light as the water, and so aren't using as much energy per stroke as in a pool. This is important to some of us.

not likely to get caught in a rip current in a pool, also pool if checked will be a lot cleaner than the ocean. Totally understand why you prefer swimming pool, I used to use Centra but they stopped it not sure if its available now, Joe used to be the guy to ask, some Centra hotels allow membership. OP was very clear about what he wanted a lot off topic stuff about the sea.

No tanning salon but this place might commend your desires, but I think they went out of business some 7 years ago.

post-26779-0-04344400-1364361604_thumb.j

Choeng Mon beach resort has a (25m?) pool @THB 100 per session.

If the OP is a serious swimmer why not consider swimming a mile or so in the sea parrallel to fishermens village & walking back along the beach to his start point afterwards? Anyone doing so should ensure they're fully hydrated beforehand (inc electrolite) to avoid any heat-related probs & I would suggest having a 3rd party/observer too.

Jimmy: As you're a keen photographer how about photographing the skein(s) of white ibis that fly over the treetops in Maenam @ last light while heading towards bophut & using the ring road for navigation?

Your going to get me into trouble again evabgib w00t.giftongue.png I've not seen these white Ibis, (except baby sitting buffalo, wink.png ) .... but have seen a few hawks flying around over the last few months....at far end of Maenam beach ... I will post in images section if I get a good shot... usually too high up! !!! whistling.gif

Good to see some people have posted there are a few larger pools around...... and available to use for non guests! . thumbsup.gif