Where Is The District In San Francisco

stevehaigh

does anyone know where the thai neighbourhood is in SF? i know it's only a block or 2 but i'm sure there is one, just can't remember where.

thx steve

i know where the russian district is, so if you never do find that thai district, you can go over and get a nice bowl of borsht. :o

I don't think there is a "thai town" in the city of San Francisco, but I do know

an awesome Thai restaurant on Clement Street... all the local Thai people eat

there and there are tons of pictures on the wall of movie stars from Thailand

dining in that joint. Maybe you can go there and ask them?...

Used to know a couple of people in Castro Street who had a sort of meditation centre and from memory a bit of a Vietnamese connection )ex vets)but re Thais dont think so.

China Town or thereabouts would be the logical extension.. :D First time I ever had those "hard "dim sum things with the fortune paper inside them... :o

Actually, there is a section of the Tenderloin "neighborhood" which is considered the nexus of Thainess in San Francisco. This is a poor neighborhood and thus attracts more than its share of recent migrants of different nationalities. In the Thai area, Lao businesses are also noticable. The area sports lots of Thai restaurants, at least one Thai grocery, and Thai videos available.

Of course, there are Thais all over the greater Bay Area.

The University Avenue area of Berkeley is more upscale (by a bit) and probably is more of a Thai town than the Tenderloin.

There is no Thai town in the Bay Area that holds a candle to anything in LA.

Actually, there is a section of the Tenderloin "neighborhood" which is considered the nexus of Thainess in San Francisco. This is a poor neighborhood and thus attracts more than its share of recent migrants of different nationalities. In the Thai area, Lao businesses are also noticable. The area sports lots of Thai restaurants, at least one Thai grocery, and Thai videos available.

Of course, there are Thais all over the greater Bay Area.

The University Avenue area of Berkeley is more upscale (by a bit) and probably is more of a Thai town than the Tenderloin.

There is no Thai town in the Bay Area that holds a candle to anything in LA.

Yeah that section of the Tenderloin is not much of a district. It's really just a few shops.

It's probably best to go to the Temple in Berkeley to socialize. The temple in Fremont is pretty good. On Sundays they have lots of food stalls to get authentic Thai food. I heard the "Thai" temple in San Francisco, however, is actually a Cambodian Temple run by Thai monks.

When I went to LA, I was not impressed at all with Thai Town. I suppose I expected something on the scale of Chinatown in San Francisco, only smaller. But what I found were a few Thai shops and more than a few Thai restaurants. The funniest thing about Thai town in Los Angeles is that it has a Sizzler restaurant. That's the only Sizzler restaurant that I've seen in California, and it's in Thai town. No wonder they are all over Thailand. They must think this is "normal".