Pattaya Police Get Tough On Late-Opening Bars

Rimmer

Pattaya Police get tough on late-opening bars

320px-Walking_Street_Pattaya.jpg

File photo. Source: Wikipedia.org

PATTAYA: -- In what is seen as a pre-cursor to a crackdown on late-opening entertainment venues in Pattaya, the Pattaya Police Chief called together a selection of Bar Owners and Managers on Wednesday to warn them to comply with their licenses or be shut-down.

Police Colonel Suwan led the meeting and started by explaining that tough new guidelines from the Ministry of the Interior require all venues to strictly comply with the conditions of their licenses.

Within the Pattaya entertainment zone this would mean that all venues must shut by 2am. Outside of the zone they must shut at midnight.

Venues must also comply with laws relating to the minimum age for customers and employees. Employees must be aged over 18 and customers must be no younger than 20.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/80670/pattaya-police-tough-late-opening-bars/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-03-27

End of an era? Will never forget cruising around in Pattaya at 4 AM in the nineties, when I still was a "handsome man" instead of the "hello Pappa" I morphed into since. Hundreds of bars, all of them open but no customers, but plenty of ladies of course. Finally waking up sitting on a barstool in one of them, asking for the bill, but then the girls telling me I paid already. Finding a motorcycle taxi to bring me back to the hotel.

Yes Brings back great memories bars Use to close even at 6am i recall & then allot reopened at 8am with daytime girls... The Beer was cheaper due to more hours people spending money, only thing is allot girls had to work very long hours if not bar fined... I remember going to the beer bars always between 5-6 if i still wanted company.. The Gov should give pattaya an all around waiver for hours bars are open in Pattaya... Its not like familys have there residence in these districts & there is more money to be made & people not wanting there night to end!!! drunk.gif

• Like 2

End of an era? Will never forget cruising around in Pattaya at 4 AM in the nineties, when I still was a "handsome man" instead of the "hello Pappa" I morphed into since. Hundreds of bars, all of them open but no customers, but plenty of ladies of course. Finally waking up sitting on a barstool in one of them, asking for the bill, but then the girls telling me I paid already. Finding a motorcycle taxi to bring me back to the hotel.

I do not know Pattaya but can certainly understand your sentiments. Not that I am against progress or change but the Thailand many of us once knew; perhaps the Thailand we fell in love with no longer exists. Even in the early ninties one could encounter rudeness, scams and taxi's that would take advantage but not by today's scale. It would so seem the tremendous uptake in tourism from all walks of life coming here and the influx of Western oriented brands have changed the Thai population forever. How I yearn for the simplicity of the past whilst I come to terms with the present day.

• Like 1

Yes Brings back great memories bars Use to close even at 6am i recall & then allot reopened at 8am with daytime girls... The Beer was cheaper due to more hours people spending money, only thing is allot girls had to work very long hours if not bar fined... I remember going to the beer bars always between 5-6 if i still wanted company.. The Gov should give pattaya an all around waiver for hours bars are open in Pattaya... Its not like familys have there residence in these districts & there is more money to be made & people not wanting there night to end!!! drunk.gif

Yes, gone are those good old days. It was really fun then and be able to drink all night. Such a change from the restrictions of the UK. One bar in Patpong was open 24 hours, it did not have shutters so could not close and was staffed around the clock. It became my regular and I got to know all the staff from each "shift" and got a warm welcome whatever time of the day or night I went there. Then there was Tip Top restaurant also in Patpong again open 24 hours and served a great selection of western and Thai food and it all tasted so delicious after umteen Singha beers. Much older now and dont do this anymore but at the time it really was great, and a good time was had by all. Progress is not always for the better!

• Like 1

Pattaya was very nice place in the sixties.

Nothing new - an annual event coffee1.gif

Agreed. The police must consider that this years high season is officially over.

So they close down bars and send the patrons to police owned bars that stay open all night.

An example is the annoying, all night OPEN AIR karaoke in Jomtien, Theprasit Soi 7, owned by police.

• Like 1

There are a lot of tourist families in Pattaya these days. You have to clean away the night trash before the early bird tourists go for an early morning stroll.

Hey, the best time to go out in Pattaya is after midnight. If you haven't done it lately you don't know what you're missing. It's far less busy, a lot cooler and more interesting. There seems to be more enthusiasm about as well.

Don't you love a city that never sleeps? Ever been to Las Vegas ?!?!

Those who are sober enough to notice would see that all around Pattaya there are predominantly Thai nationals at clubs, bars, cafe's and everywhere socializing, drinking, listening to music and probably screwing too OMG. Many great music and entertainment venues, both Thai and international, are everywhere. For the most part it's a good mix of happy people with few or no incidents. The Thais know how to party far more than farang so take that to heart. Just sayin.

Skoal !!! Nastalovia !!! Cheers ! Salud !!! and Choke Dee !!!

• Like 1

Hey, the best time to go out in Pattaya is after midnight. If you haven't done it lately you don't know what you're missing. It's far less busy, a lot cooler and more interesting. There seems to be more enthusiasm about as well.

Don't you love a city that never sleeps? Ever been to Las Vegas ?!?!

Those who are sober enough to notice would see that all around Pattaya there are predominantly Thai nationals at clubs, bars, cafe's and everywhere socializing, drinking, listening to music and probably screwing too OMG. Many great music and entertainment venues, both Thai and international, are everywhere. For the most part it's a good mix of happy people with few or no incidents. The Thais know how to party far more than farang so take that to heart. Just sayin.

Skoal !!! Nastalovia !!! Cheers ! Salud !!! and Choke Dee !!!

"For the most part it's a good mix of happy people with few or no incidents. Thais know how to party far more than farang so take that to heart."

Hmm...Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that statement.

I've seen a lot more belligerent drunks and fights among Thai partygoers than Western. Let's face it, if a Thai goes into a Western establishment he would be welcome. A Westerner who goes into a Thai bar will more than likely end up fighting a group of drunk Thais -- and that includes Pattaya. It's one thing to take to the country but it's another to deny the obvious.

The news article is wrong. My son, his girlfriend and my cashier were at the meeting. They all reported that the police said closing time is 1am everywhere, but bars are allowed to negotiate with there local police to stay open till 4am. Not sure what "negotiate" means but our monthly donation to the police retirement fund allows us to stay open.

Chris

The news article is wrong. My son, his girlfriend and my cashier were at the meeting. They all reported that the police said closing time is 1am everywhere, but bars are allowed to negotiate with there local police to stay open till 4am. Not sure what "negotiate" means but our monthly donation to the police retirement fund allows us to stay open.

Chris

Allowed to 'pre pay' the fine for breaking the law.

I really don't understand the closing of bars early. It just doesn't make sense.

Pattaya, Phuket etc holiday resorts Young people from Aus,USA Europe etc are looking for a holiday destination where they can party all night

If they are scouting about and find out everything closes at 1pm or whatever isn't it common sense they'll go elsewhere?

For a country that depends a lot on tourism (not just whoerism) seems a bit daft to me.

I really don't understand the closing of bars early. It just doesn't make sense.

Pattaya, Phuket etc holiday resorts Young people from Aus,USA Europe etc are looking for a holiday destination where they can party all night

If they are scouting about and find out everything closes at 1pm or whatever isn't it common sense they'll go elsewhere?

For a country that depends a lot on tourism (not just whoerism) seems a bit daft to me.

Thailand makes more from manufacturing cars (12% GDP) and electronics (11% GDP) that it does from tourism (9-10% GDP), checkout any site that breaksdown GDP into industries.

Yes, gone are those good old days. It was really fun then and be able to drink all night. Such a change from the restrictions of the UK. One bar in Patpong was open 24 hours, it did not have shutters so could not close and was staffed around the clock. It became my regular and I got to know all the staff from each "shift" and got a warm welcome whatever time of the day or night I went there. Then there was Tip Top restaurant also in Patpong again open 24 hours and served a great selection of western and Thai food and it all tasted so delicious after umteen Singha beers. Much older now and dont do this anymore but at the time it really was great, and a good time was had by all. Progress is not always for the better!

Tip top eww could only eat at the place drunk. Food is shocking..

Plenty of night clubs open.. I don't think your dependent on seeing a half naked girl till 5am in some dirty bar.

Thailand makes more from manufacturing cars (12% GDP) and electronics (11% GDP) that it does from tourism (9-10% GDP), checkout any site that breaksdown GDP into industries.

Perhaps, but the 10% is an enormous amount that they cannot afford to lose.

Nothing new - an annual event coffee1.gif

Agreed. The police must consider that this years high season is officially over.
So they close down bars and send the patrons to police owned bars that stay open all night.

An example is the annoying, all night OPEN AIR karaoke in Jomtien, Theprasit Soi 7, owned by police.

Probably right. When I was in Patong Phuket in 1999, every Buddha holiday the regular bars would close down, and all the police owned bars would be open... :-)

Perhaps, but the 10% is an enormous amount that they cannot afford to lose.

This will affect the Chinese, Russians, Koreans and Malaysians how much? Only affect the smaller minority who are dependant on the "bar scene". Look at the future and be prepared to change.