Swarming Thingies - Ants Or Termites

Greenside

These are termites, the ants should be out soon. The ants are a lot fatter. You'll see when the ants are coming out as the Thais will be sat by the nest waiting to collect them as they appear. my girlfriend can't wait for the ants.

For an interesting sight go up to CMU on the one day a year that a certain ant comes out. People all over the campus are collecting them in jars with incredible enthusiasm!

These are termites, the ants should be out soon. The ants are a lot fatter. You'll see when the ants are coming out as the Thais will be sat by the nest waiting to collect them as they appear. my girlfriend can't wait for the ants.

For an interesting sight go up to CMU on the one day a year that a certain ant comes out. People all over the campus are collecting them in jars with incredible enthusiasm!

OP's 'swarmers' are maeng mao.. the ones that emerge from the ground in much smaller numbers, on more than one day a year, and collected as delicacies (then usually sold for a hefty price tag) are maeng mun.

Here's a plate full we bought, the 'emegence' before last...

meang mun.. aroi! licklips.gif

OP's 'swarmers' are maeng mao.. the ones that emerge from the ground in much smaller numbers, on more than one day a year, and collected as delicacies (then usually sold for a hefty price tag) are maeng mun.

Here's a plate full we bought, the 'emegence' before last...

meang mun.. aroi! licklips.gif

I agree, that looks like a nice plate.

Is that a vintage or modern floral pattern China?

As far as the insects, I would think they might go down better if you served them in one of those paper cups you find that the local cinema uses for selling popcorn.

If they are crunchy I am sure I would enjoy them.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Pull the shades closed, pull the windows closed, turn off lights, and leave on a bright light outside as far away from your house as possible. It's the light that attracts them.

Which leads to the question, why don't these buggers go out in the day time?

• Like 1

Just set up a large tub of water outside with a few candles on a raised plinth in the middle. The termites will be attracted to the flame and eventually drown. They will all be destroyed!!! Mwahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!

Thank you, that is a wonderful idea and I am sure it will work if the million termites do not blow out the candles during the middle of the night.

But where can I buy one of those plinths?