Thailand To Unveil New Bt20 Banknotes April 1

webfact

oh no you mean I don't have to worry about getting any counterfeit 20thb notes? What a relief...

Oh yeah.. who would even bother to counterfeit a 20thb note? Wouldn't the 500 and 1000 make better targets? Why not implement new notes starting from the highest value down than from the bottom up? only in Thailand.

It's still difficult to take Thai money seriously when all the colors match Monopoly money.

This has got to be an American comment. What irony when they let loose with these mononopoly comments about a color system that is easier to identify denominations when their own currency is called a Federal Reserve Note, printed by a private company owned by the crooked banksters! So which is the real monopoly money?laugh.png

And where do you think the thai money comes from? The private central bank called the BOT.

Or did you not realize that the BOE, the ECB, the BOJ, the BOT are all private banks.. it's not just the FED.

Edited by Jayman

I was given a 100 baht with the KINGS SON on it.

I have no idea where this design came from.

has anyone else seen this before? and why did I only ever see it ONCE and not since then?

Commemorative Banknotes on the Auspicious Occasions of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn’s 5th Cycle Birthday Anniversary 28 July 2012

the front side is identical to the 15th series of 100-Baht banknote presently in circulation.
the portrait of HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn and the scene of His Royal Highness being conferred the title of Crown Prince is illustrated on the back of the banknote.
Issue Date: 27 July 2012
100_60_F.jpg100_60_b.jpg

I have several of these myself. Many I saved as they are nearly uncirculated and then I started giving the new ones I receive in change away for others to enjoy.

It's still difficult to take Thai money seriously when all the colors match Monopoly money.

This has got to be an American comment. What irony when they let loose with these mononopoly comments about a color system that is easier to identify denominations when their own currency is called a Federal Reserve Note, printed by a private company owned by the crooked banksters! So which is the real monopoly money?laugh.png

and they all look the same...........

Do they all smell the same?

Should be a coin not a note......ridiculous

Absolutely agree! Was thinking that as well. What's the point of making a new note worth 70 cents at the time of a creeping inflation?

And who on earth would want to counterfeit 20 THB note if counterfeiting 1,000 THB requires the same amount of work but would bring 50 x more profit?

< Overly derogatory comments removed >!

Edited by metisdead

Gotta keep changing the notes folks and update colours, makes it more difficult to copy.

Get a bigger Bht number on them and have more definate colours emerald green -cobolt blue- scarlet-primrose.

Abolish the SATANG....stupid ridiculous money=100 to 1 bht---LOONY, apart from 7-11-big C-Tesco etc nobody takes them in99 per cent of places. the cost to mint will be ??????? wouldn't like to guess, and brass/copper/nickel are expensive metals. If only they could use RICE to make monies.

New 20-baht banknotes to have a more 'global' design and new anti-forgery features

BANGKOK, 28 March 2013 (NNT) – The Bank of Thailand will start circulating new 20-baht banknotes on 1 April.

The new 20 baht bills will maintain the same size and color as the current bills, but the graphics have been revamped to have a more modern and global look. New anti-counterfeit techniques have also been implemented, which will allow the visual-impaired to more easily identify the bills. Note counters and machines that receive cash will also work better with the new bills.

The number 20, written in Thai numerals, is transparent on the bill and this attribute can be easily checked by shining light onto the bill. Green-color stripes embedded in the bill will show on the backside of the note, and they can change color from green to purple-red. Embossing is present on the note to allow identification by touch. An image of two dark-green flowers on the note will also help the visually-impaired to tell the note apart.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-03-28 footer_n.gif

People! They're unveiling them on ***APRIL 1ST***. This is clearly a joke, and not a very funny one because they should actually be unveiling a 5,000 baht note. You can't buy anything with a 20-baht note any more, but there are always dozens of dirty torn ones in your pocket, so they should be withdrawn. On the other hand, try going out to a half-decent restaurant in Bangkok these days and getting change from a 1,000 note on dinner for 2. This is why a 5,000 baht and, yes, even a 10,000 baht note are necessary these days. The highest denomination note in Thailand at the moment is worth only £22, which is a joke in itself.

As a previous poster stated, the 20 Baht note is the most commonly used in Essan. Most "mom and pop" type shops, market stalls etc. have trouble finding change for a 1000 Baht note let alone your proposed 5000 Baht note. The new note looks great me thinks.

People! They're unveiling them on ***APRIL 1ST***. This is clearly a joke, and not a very funny one because they should actually be unveiling a 5,000 baht note. You can't buy anything with a 20-baht note any more, but there are always dozens of dirty torn ones in your pocket, so they should be withdrawn. On the other hand, try going out to a half-decent restaurant in Bangkok these days and getting change from a 1,000 note on dinner for 2. This is why a 5,000 baht and, yes, even a 10,000 baht note are necessary these days. The highest denomination note in Thailand at the moment is worth only £22, which is a joke in itself.

Joke or not this has to be one of the most naive comments I've ever read regarding a developing country. Thailand DOESN'T revolve around upmarket, Bangkok, night life.

A new robust 20 Baht note makes good sense. Anyway won't be too long before you will not be able to buy one of these with your 22 GBP.

Edited by bdenner

I was given a 100 baht with the KINGS SON on it.

I have no idea where this design came from.

has anyone else seen this before? and why did I only ever see it ONCE and not since then?

You probably saw it in Amsterdam after eating some hash cookies before coming to Thailand where hash cookies are illegal. If you want to see one again try drinking 3 bottles of Thai whiskey..should do the tricklaugh.png