Weather Troubles For Thailand

Jai Dee

WEATHER TROUBLES

Widespread thunderstorm system hits Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Meteorological Department has warned of summer thunderstorms country-wide while the greater Bangkok metropolitan area is expected to experience thunderstorms tonight.

The weather department said an intense high pressure front which passed into Thailand from China now covered the eastern portion of the northeast, causing severe thundershowers, strong winds and even hail in some areas.

The northeast is the first region to be hit by storms from this weather system, followed by the north, the east, and central Thailand.

The weather centre forecast widespread thunderestorms in the south and heavy seas with two- to three-metre high waves in the Gulf of Thailand from March 14-16.

It warned that boatmen must take note of local weather service warnings when they put to sea.

--TNA 2006-03-13

La Nina is headed this way

Climate phenomenon will extend the rainy season, leading to increased flooding and possible landslides, meteorologist says

La Nina will hit Thailand this year causing landslides and flooding nationwide, a climate change expert said last week.

The projection is based on two scientific signs: the Multivariate Enso Index (MEI) and sea temperature projections in the Pacific Ocean.

"The signs are so obvious that La Nina is forming and should start hitting Thailand and Asia in the next two months, the beginning of the rainy season," said Dr Anond Snidwongs, a scientist who works for the Asia Pacific Network for Global Change Research.

"There will be no major storm-induced rains, but the seasonal rains will continue a lot longer, which will be the main cause of landslides and flooding," he said.

Anond warned authorities to be prepared for such natural disasters.

"We cannot point exactly to where the affected areas will be due to the limitations of knowledge of La Nina. In the past we have paid more attention to El Nino than La Nina, due to our greater concerns about drought rather than flooding," he said.

Based on projections, La Nina will last from this May until at least May next year.

In Bangkok, heavy rains might lead to flooding due to the inefficiencies of the city's drainage system, he said. However, he said, the authorities should be able to cope.

Dr Michael Glantz, director of the Centre for Capacity Building of the American National Centre for Atmospheric Research, warned that global warming and climate change in all parts of the world would continue.

"About 96 per cent of the glaciers at the North and South Poles are melting at an increasing rate and the sea water level is rising. Climate fluctuation, including the patterns of drought and rainfall, is increasing," he said.

"Climate change is not the only scientific finding, the aspects include social impact, political policies, economic and social equity. Now more than half the world's population is suffering the impact of climate change," he said during an interview with The Nation while attending the workshop "Climate Change, Seasonality and Environmental Hazards" last week in Bangkok.

Anond and Glantz agreed that more study and monitoring of the impact of climate change were urgently needed. Greater efforts should be made to help people prepare for future natural disasters, Glantz said.

He also said that the study of climate change at the national level was small and insufficient for preparing most countries for global disasters.

Last Wednesday, the Office of Environmental Policy and Planning (OEPP) in Thailand held public seminars to discuss the national strategic master plan for climate change, aiming to prepare Thailand for negotiating the Kyoto Protocol.

The drafting process is expected to last three months, said OEPP's director-general Nisakorn Khositrat.

The strategic master plan will then be submitted for cabinet approval through the National Environment Board, she said.

Nisakorn added that Thailand would host an international meeting on climate change in 2007.

Source: The Nation - Mon, March 13, 2006

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protesters may face test by Mother Nature

Anti-government protesters planning to camp out at Sanam Luang throughout the night may face a tough test of their determination by Mother Nature Monday night when the Meteorological Department warned of a big tropical storm.

The department announced Monday that a tropical storm would unleash heavy rains and hails in most parts of Bangkok Monday night.

The department said the storm had been influenced by a high pressure ride from China which had moved down to be over the eastern part of northeastern region of Thailand.

Source: The Nation - 13 Feb 2006

Anti-government protesters planning to camp out at Sanam Luang throughout the night may face a tough test of their determination by Mother Nature Monday night when the Meteorological Department warned of a big tropical storm........ the storm had been influenced by a high pressure ride from China which had moved down to be over the eastern part of northeastern region of Thailand.

So it looks like Thaksin's first ever overseas official visit (in 2001) is paying off as Beijing sends in the heavy brigade to relieve the pressure on him?

:o

WEATHER TROUBLES

Widespread thunderstorm system hits Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Meteorological Department has warned of summer thunderstorms country-wide while the greater Bangkok metropolitan area is expected to experience thunderstorms tonight.

The weather department said an intense high pressure front which passed into Thailand from China now covered the eastern portion of the northeast, causing severe thundershowers, strong winds and even hail in some areas.

================================================================

The weather centre forecast widespread thunder-storms in the south and heavy seas with two- to three-metre high waves in the Gulf of Thailand from March 14-16.

Okay; before all sorts of bored people start writing all sorts of "humorous comments" about this topic; let me leave you with a sobering thought: the last time 'we' had these kinds of seas on the Pattaya coast-line, at least 78 ships were swept off their anchor-block and litterally smacked upon the beaches of Pattaya & Jomtien, as if they were light-weight toys !

This is NOT a funny situation and - unless we have learned from what occured here some 8 years ago - this could, in fact, cost lives, not to mention a heck-of-a-lot of money . . . . . .

Keeping my fingers crossed !

(May just be Toxin ordered and paid for this phenomena, just to draw attention away from himself ? ?)

[sorry; couldn't resist that one !]

Strange – none of the world’s leading weather forecasters’ mention anything like it for today or even for the next few days – another way by Taksin & Co trying to keep the protesters at home?

I'm so tired of the OMG... Global Warming Nonsense. I wish they would just publish all of the statistics that everyone has gathered and not just the one's that champion their own cause. Has anyone ever bothered to actually check their stats or look at some of the lesser known studies? Less than 4% of our Glaciers are melting world wide, most are actually growing. The water level world wide hasn't increased by more than 1/4" on a worldwide average in 100 years. Global temperature rise, some places are warming and some are cooling and not by strictly north and south regions. Most of this is cyclical for our world.

Has anyone noticed that this Global Warming Terror only started after the fall of the Berlin Wall? The world has to have a world threat to keep the masses in check... they have to divert our attention away from what the world governors are doing and focus it on a world threat. Well the cold war is past... Now we have to worry about either drowning, freezing to death or winding up on a planet that is total sahara. The Global Warming Guru's can't even agree on what will happen. Except that we'll all die and we'd better be very afraid. I'm afraid of them...

TMD 7 day forecast can be found here.

None of these forcast any thunderstorms - why?

http://weather.wn.com/worldweather/temp.as...97&cityid=53663

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=VTBD

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findwe...angkok+thailand

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-world-fo...|TH017|BANGKOK|

Isnt odd how people think,

This thread as many threads are, is being turned into an anti thaksin post ----- it's pathetic really .

it makes me angry that falangs can even have such insulting views about thai politicians and policys,

they are mainly old has beens [losers] with no interest or input into their own country's political

affairs ,let's face it the majority leave their homelands because they are just that, "loser's" in life,

they should keep heir nose's out of thailands political affairs and be grateful that the thai's have allowed

them to reside in their country , how many of the posters have a born right to vote in thailand ?

what would they think if thais were so out spoken in thier repective countries ,but the thais have self respect and decorum ,

the weather is the weather------------

What type of farang are you then?

It’s rather presumptuous of you to label all of us who have made Thailand our home, losers.

Obviously, you haven’t lived here long enough to see and understand what is going on in Thai politics.

Wake up and let the rest of us have a moan!

I'm so tired of the OMG... Global Warming Nonsense. I wish they would just publish all of the statistics that everyone has gathered and not just the one's that champion their own cause. Has anyone ever bothered to actually check their stats or look at some of the lesser known studies? Less than 4% of our Glaciers are melting world wide, most are actually growing. The water level world wide hasn't increased by more than 1/4" on a worldwide average in 100 years. Global temperature rise, some places are warming and some are cooling and not by strictly north and south regions. Most of this is cyclical for our world.

Has anyone noticed that this Global Warming Terror only started after the fall of the Berlin Wall? The world has to have a world threat to keep the masses in check... they have to divert our attention away from what the world governors are doing and focus it on a world threat. Well the cold war is past... Now we have to worry about either drowning, freezing to death or winding up on a planet that is total sahara. The Global Warming Guru's can't even agree on what will happen. Except that we'll all die and we'd better be very afraid. I'm afraid of them...

Just crap. Can you develop and give some proofs, links or some evidence Mr.professor. The world is in danger, believe it or not. My homecountry is Switzerland and I live right in the middle of the mountains, I can tell you that the glaciers are not growing, but melting. And I can bring proofs in photographies.

Just finished read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" in which he pretty much says the same thing, even the bit about the rise of Global Warming as a global threat after the fall of Soviet communism.

I know its a science fiction novel but he quotes actual scientific publications and reports. Interesting point of view, goes against everything we are led to believe in the modern media, but I trust them less and less each day anyway.

Just finished read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" in which he pretty much says the same thing, even the bit about the rise of Global Warming as a global threat after the fall of Soviet communism.

I know its a science fiction novel but he quotes actual scientific publications and reports. Interesting point of view, goes against everything we are led to believe in the modern media, but I trust them less and less each day anyway.

Some say the 'Illuminati'are behind this ?

The Illuminati who are they, do they exist? How do you see the back end of a foggy cloud?

Edited by Zorro 69

OK I'll bite...

This thread as many threads are, is being turned into an anti thaksin post ----- it's pathetic really .

Its called humour - political humour. In our "respective countries" and other democratic countries this is allowed - when its not, its Authoritarianism.

it makes me angry that falangs can even have such insulting views about thai politicians and policys,

Sorry you are angry, but if foreigners did not have views (insulting or otherwise) on poilitics or policies Thais would be speaking Japanese now, and Europe would be a facist German state. It is important that political pressure is brought to bear on any and all governments from within and outside. Its what keeps the peace and helps keep despots at bay. If you think holding views contrary to the goverment is a bad thing, perhaps you might find China more to your liking than "The Land of the Free". Check out your constitution my friend.

they are mainly old has beens [losers] with no interest or input into their own country's political affairs

Possibly, but unlikely. People tend to have political views or not. If they do, then they will wherever they are. Therefore, if they are commenting here, then it is likely they commented 'at home' too. I'll ignore the "has been" quip for now as it just shows your level of anger, lack of understanding and inability to put an arguement together - i.e. it makes you look foolish, and if you want to look a fool, then go for it!

,let's face it the majority leave their homelands because they are just that, "loser's" in life,

Which is why so many farangs come to LoS to perform roles that can not be adequatly fulfilled in the Kingdom by Thais. Lets not get into a "mine's bigger than yours" arguement, you'll most likely loose. All countries have their fair share of 'loosers', they are not all farangs. Look around you my friend.

they should keep heir nose's out of thailands political affairs

As above.

and be grateful that the thai's have allowed them to reside in their country

Barely. It is actually quite difficult to live in your country officially. Thailand certainly does not 'allow' us to 'reside' - its much harder to stay in Thailand as a foreigner than it would be for a Thai to stay in our home countries. For a start, Thais married to a Brit can get residency based simply on time. Once the entry clearance and marriage visa is given. The Thai will not have to report to the police every 90 days. Will not have to renew their visa continually. Will be allowed to work on the basis of their marraige vias. After a set time they get residency (indefinate right to remain) and after tyhree years they can have citizenship. Put that up against Thai Immigrations rules.

, how many of the posters have a born right to vote in thailand ?

In the UK a settled Thai would have the right to vote (following citizenship - see above). As its practically impossible to get citizenship in Thailand, I would suggest its a very low number - like zero. That does not negate having political views. Otherwise you would not have a vote either, unless you are from one of the nobile families that attended court. Slavery would still be in existance and women and the poor would not have a vote.

what would they think if thais were so out spoken in thier repective countries ,but the thais have self respect and decorum ,

Some Thais have 'self respect' and some have 'decorum'. Just as some farang are similarly 'blessed'. The fact is that any democracy welcomes views from its residents - Thai or otherwise - the government may not like the views, but the country should. Of course, as I've said - if the Thais you mention took citizenship, then they'd get the vote too! It might also be noted that calling everyone 'has beens' and 'loosers' would not usually constitute 'Decorum' or 'Respect'.

Phew, I thought for a minute there was nothing I was going to agree with you on.

Its not the fact that people make political comment that should worry you. I think its OK to be angry if you feel comments are unfair - in which case say that and argue against their comments - its not OK to expect people to have no view at all or not to air them on a public forum (given the definition of the word 'forum'!).

Edited by wolf5370

Not much on the radar at present for Bangkok... but Khon Kaen is getting a hammering... check it out here.

And the latest warning from the TMD is as follows:

Warning No. 4 (11/2006)

Summer Thundershowers in upper Thailand

A rather intense high pressure from China has extended its ridge to cover upper part of northeastern Thailand. Thundershowers, gusty winds and hails are expected in upper Thailand during March, 13-14. People should beware with caution. During March, 14 -16, a rather strong easterly winds prevail over the Gulf and southern Thailand. More rain are expected in the South. Rough sea with waves height 2-3 meters are likely in the Gulf of Thailand. All vessels in the Gulf should proced with caution.

Date 13 March 2006

Time 17:00

they are mainly old has beens [losers] with no interest or input into their own country's political

affairs ,let's face it the majority leave their homelands because they are just that, "loser's" in life,

they should keep heir nose's out of thailands political affairs and be grateful that the thai's have allowed

them to reside in their country , how many of the posters have a born right to vote in thailand ?

A double spaced Troll to boot! :o Probably used to teachers making corrections :D

One undiputed fact remains......The weather is the weather. Good one Mr Sydney

Global weather? Global warming? I was born and raised in Ohio USA. The Great Lakes are the largest fresh water lakes on our small globe They were supposedly caused by glaciers moving through the area. I don't remember any glaciers in Ohio. Could that possibly mean the changing weather conditions are the work of mother nature? I'm sure the gloom and doom people will find something else to blame it on.

The best advice I ever got was not to concern myself with things I had no control over. That advice was given to me when I was a young man and at the time it irritated me. As I got older I realized the wisdom of that advice.

At about 6:30 PM the wind kicked up a little but nothing to speak of. We got a VERY welcome little shower. Again not enough of a shower to speak of but is was a little unexpected. We would certainly welcome some more.

<snip>

What's it like now in Loei Gary?

Judging from the radar and synoptic charts it's been pretty windy with some severe thunderstorms.

Wallalai

I'll show you mine if you can show me yours. I don't mean photos of the ice in Switzerland, show me real Global Science. I mean I can show you ice melting in my tea glass but that doesn't affirm Global Warming. Over all... The Glaciers in your country do not the world make. I can appreciate that they are melting. I've seen the pictures too. The problem that I have is that the scientists jump all over phenomena that supports their theories and tend to forget the data collected elsewhere that refute it. Tell me with Scientific certainty... Global Warming, will cause the planet to heat up, melt all of the glaciers and turn the planet into a giant swimming pool? Or will it cause the planet to plunge into another Ice Age? Both theories abound in the Global Warming arena and every scientist claims that they are right. I personally think it's arrogant to believe that we human beings in our brief history on the planet have destroyed what has taken millennia to create. A single volcano spews out more flourocarbons in one belch than we have in our entire industrialized civilization. I don't say that we haven't had an effect, or that we shouldn't be good stewards of our planet. I just think that before we panic, we should look at all the facts. We shouldn't be influenced into mass hysteria and start passing more laws. If the scare mongers continue to rule, someone will outlaw pinto beans because they make us flatulent. Everytime we have intervened in natures behalf we've wound up causing more harm than good. Look back at what we did to Yellowstone National Park in the name of Conservation. That my friend would require reading and learning, not spouting propaganda. I'll give you a starting point... Roosevelt.

Weather Forecast (From TMD) During March 13-14, the rather intense high pressure system from China covers upper Thailand. Thunderstrom, gusty wind, hail in some areas and drop in temperature are expected in the areas. During March 15-16, high pressure system covering upper Thailand will be weakening. Southerly wind prevails over upper Thailand. Hot is expected in the areas.

Warning : During March, 13-14, people in upper Thailand should beware of natural diaster. During March 14-15, rough sea with waves height 2-3 meters. All vessels in the Gulf should proceed with caution.

There: You have all been warned. If you go outside take care. Do not say you have not been warned. The only part I believe is "Hot" . Safe Bet!!!

OK I'll bite...

Its called humour - political humour. In our "respective countries" and other democratic countries this is allowed - when its not, its Authoritarianism.

Sorry you are angry, but if foreigners did not have views (insulting or otherwise) on poilitics or policies Thais would be speaking Japanese now, and Europe would be a facist German state. It is important that political pressure is brought to bear on any and all governments from within and outside. Its what keeps the peace and helps keep despots at bay. If you think holding views contrary to the goverment is a bad thing, perhaps you might find China more to your liking than "The Land of the Free". Check out your constitution my friend.

they are mainly old has beens [losers] with no interest or input into their own country's political affairs

Possibly, but unlikely. People tend to have political views or not. If they do, then they will wherever they are. Therefore, if they are commenting here, then it is likely they commented 'at home' too. I'll ignore the "has been" quip for now as it just shows your level of anger, lack of understanding and inability to put an arguement together - i.e. it makes you look foolish, and if you want to look a fool, then go for it!

,let's face it the majority leave their homelands because they are just that, "loser's" in life,

Which is why so many farangs come to LoS to perform roles that can not be adequatly fulfilled in the Kingdom by Thais. Lets not get into a "mine's bigger than yours" arguement, you'll most likely loose. All countries have their fair share of 'loosers', they are not all farangs. Look around you my friend.

they should keep heir nose's out of thailands political affairs

As above.

and be grateful that the thai's have allowed them to reside in their country

Barely. It is actually quite difficult to live in your country officially. Thailand certainly does not 'allow' us to 'reside' - its much harder to stay in Thailand as a foreigner than it would be for a Thai to stay in our home countries. For a start, Thais married to a Brit can get residency based simply on time. Once the entry clearance and marriage visa is given. The Thai will not have to report to the police every 90 days. Will not have to renew their visa continually. Will be allowed to work on the basis of their marraige vias. After a set time they get residency (indefinate right to remain) and after tyhree years they can have citizenship. Put that up against Thai Immigrations rules.

In the UK a settled Thai would have the right to vote (following citizenship - see above). As its practically impossible to get citizenship in Thailand, I would suggest its a very low number - like zero. That does not negate having political views. Otherwise you would not have a vote either, unless you are from one of the nobile families that attended court. Slavery would still be in existance and women and the poor would not have a vote.

Some Thais have 'self respect' and some have 'decorum'. Just as some farang are similarly 'blessed'. The fact is that any democracy welcomes views from its residents - Thai or otherwise - the government may not like the views, but the country should. Of course, as I've said - if the Thais you mention took citizenship, then they'd get the vote too! It might also be noted that calling everyone 'has beens' and 'loosers' would not usually constitute 'Decorum' or 'Respect'.

Phew, I thought for a minute there was nothing I was going to agree with you on.

Its not the fact that people make political comment that should worry you. I think its OK to be angry if you feel comments are unfair - in which case say that and argue against their comments - its not OK to expect people to have no view at all or not to air them on a public forum (given the definition of the word 'forum'!).

This post should be pinned as a standardised answer to the 'farangs should have no views, shaddup and be grateful' clan who so often pipe up with these immature comments on everything from the weather to laws, politics, food and what-have-you.

Nice post.

In the UK a settled Thai would have the right to vote (following citizenship - see above). As its practically impossible to get citizenship in Thailand, I would suggest its a very low number - like zero.

That does not negate having political views. Otherwise you would not have a vote either, unless you are from one of the nobile families that attended court.

Slavery would still be in existance and women and the poor would not have a vote.

ct'.

Nice post.

K.Wifie will be voting on April 4th (plus rest of family) but of course not Moi ...bleeding foreigner aint I and cant do the dirty deed in Samut Prakan (forget the bills,Uni fees,swimming pool charges etc) but hopefully I will be going down to the polling station with them and maybe stick a poster of Mr Blair up outside and see what reaction we get :D:o ....thoughts of "ting song" come to mind.......

A month later however ..May 4th.we will be back again in Blighty and as suggested above K.Wifie will again be voting but this time of course for a British politician in the local council elections.....course of Democracy always runs smooth.....Yeah...... :D c"est la vie.. but M P rai....