Weather Troubles For Thailand

Jai Dee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D What happened to the storm promised to Bangkok. I was like chicken little last night, running around telling everyone in the flats to keep doors closed and get out the wellies for this morning. No one will ever believe a word I say now :o Not that anyone does now :D

I'm so tired of the OMG... Global Warming Nonsense. I wish they would just publish all of the statistics that everyone has gathered and not just the one's that champion their own cause. Has anyone ever bothered to actually check their stats or look at some of the lesser known studies? Less than 4% of our Glaciers are melting world wide, most are actually growing. The water level world wide hasn't increased by more than 1/4" on a worldwide average in 100 years. Global temperature rise, some places are warming and some are cooling and not by strictly north and south regions. Most of this is cyclical for our world.

Has anyone noticed that this Global Warming Terror only started after the fall of the Berlin Wall? The world has to have a world threat to keep the masses in check... they have to divert our attention away from what the world governors are doing and focus it on a world threat. Well the cold war is past... Now we have to worry about either drowning, freezing to death or winding up on a planet that is total sahara. The Global Warming Guru's can't even agree on what will happen. Except that we'll all die and we'd better be very afraid. I'm afraid of them...

Well said and do the Thai people know how much more they will be paying in taxes on gas for cooking and fuel if the Kyoto protocol is signed? Even electricity!

Carbon credits? I don`t think that thousands of kilometers of rice rields will earn any.

It is a straight out tax grab and much of that tax ends up out of the country.

Be afraid.

let me leave you with a sobering thought: the last time 'we' had these kinds of seas on the Pattaya coast-line, at least 78 ships were swept off their anchor-block and litterally smacked upon the beaches of Pattaya & Jomtien, as if they were light-weight toys !

This is NOT a funny situation and - unless we have learned from what occured here some 8 years ago - this could, in fact, cost lives, not to mention a heck-of-a-lot of money . . . . . .

unquote.........................................................................

..........................................ended

I remember sitting at a bar just before Soi 7 meets up with Beach Road ( The Cat Bar i think ?? )

A full grown palm tree sailed past and it got lodged at the bottom.

It was a frightening night and the next day when i walked down Beach road the destruction was unbelievable.

There was wreckage everywhere and boats smashed up like jaapfries says all along the coast line.

I used to go in the beach restaurant opposite Mikes shopping mall but couldn,t get near it for wreckage.

OFF TOPIC

Wasn,t that a nice place to relax by the way under the big trees over looking the sea and the busy beach road.

Why they replaced it with that structure along with the beach umbrellas after knocking the old

style man made umbrellas of natural materials, i,ll never understand.

Apart from money of course as usual for the chosen few. Sorry everyone.

On Topic

There where fatalities and the costs to the less well off and there lively hoods very sad to witness.

Really scary as the palm tree was massive with all the palms and coconuts still attached.

The pavement was raised there and i was on a bar stool, pretty high up and this thing came towards us and it dwarfed the bar area, no bulls***.

To add to this of course there was the usual blackout and constant lightening which illuminated the shadowy palm as it went by. along with other stuff.

All the ladies kept screaming as one thing after another happened, it seemed to go on forever.

Make sure you have a sound roof and no debri within reach of the property ( p.trees, coconuts ect that may come down ) should the situation look like deteriorating/ be expected to develop into the above.

Also allow for it coming in from the sea towards land without warning as well.

Stay put and look after the family until it passes, just in case as if you are in town you will be stranded, that,s for sure unable to get home.

Sounds dramatic maybe, but reality of what happened as anyone around that night will tell you.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

OK I'll bite...

Isnt odd how people think,

==================================================

Hey Wolf . . . . . .

Extremely well put (for a Pom) ha, ha, ha !

The only other thing which jumped to my mind, was the "losers" issue. It is my humble opinion, that "losers" mostly stay put (hence the term "losers"), whereas "winner" (or, at least, people who aspire NOT to lose . . .) will actually pul up their stakes and move to another place (look around in the US, Canada, NZ & Australia, for example) and make a new and improved life there. The problem is, that you will find many losers in the original home-countries of these enterprising chaps . . . . .

Cheers mate,

:D

JaapFries

Flushing out Pattaya's gutters for a week would be nice ... but hopefully not for a whole year!

If it never stopped raining in pattaya, that might clean the rats and roaches out of the sewers/gutters, but in my opinion Pattaya is full of rats and low life on the streets already. (don't take it personally, I'm not talking about you + i don't know you :D )

Sorry, but I just don't lke the place. One of the worst vibes in Thailand if you ask me (which you didnt!). Been there twice and won't be going back for sure. Let it rain till all those old men go somewhere else and the bargirls go back upcountry. Once was a nice fishing village i read on a thread soewhere. Anyhow,

Just thought i'd make a negative contribution, afterall it's early and i got shiteloads to do today and all this politics is doing my head in. :o

cheerio

==========================================================

Well, Sir; I beg to differ. Whereabouts in Pattaya were you, to be made feel so bad and negative.

I have lived here for nigh-on 14 years and love every minute of it.

I could show you a Pattaya that would be rather pleasant.

In terms of "infrastructure" I reckon Pattaya's pretty hard to equal. Look at the facts:

Best Hospitals (easily better than in my home country [Holland])

Extremely good sellection of Restaurants

Brilliant shopping (2 x Lotus' 2 x Big C; 2 x Top's; (almost) 2 x Carefour plus a collection of locals.

Some excellent Bookshops (and I'm talking about the second hand book-shops)

Reasonably clean beaches (Jomtien)

Absolutely brilliant sailing and winds-surfing

Some of the best Golf-courses within minutes from Pattaya-City

With regards to the "seedy areas"; that's fairly easy: don't go there.

Cheers,

Happy Pattaya-an

About an hour ago I got a phone call from a friend who lives near Krabi. He said they had severe thunderstorms, heavy rain and hail plus no electricity. He told me that in the eight years he has been down there he has never seen so much rain and storms.

Ditto Gary A. I am on a small island near Krabi and between 7-8pm we had a hurricane like nothing anyone's seen here before. We nearly lost our roof and had to run with the children to the fields to avoid trees falling on us. ###### scary.

I'm in the middle of Phayao province and we got a few clouds but no rain. We really need the rain here. The water levels in the holes around the farms are getting pretty low. The Longan trees are looking pretty thirsty too. I suspect if we don't get rain in the next 2 or 3 weeks the August Longan harvest might suffer.

I think the next huge project should be to build a HUGE pipeline from the south to the north. Water from the Chaophraya river (Bangkok) could also be pumped into the pipeline. Isaan would turn into the rice-bowl of Asia.

Seriously, up here in Loei province we have not gotten any of the predicted storms and it is quite dry.

Well, Sir; I beg to differ. Whereabouts in Pattaya were you, to be made feel so bad and negative.

I have lived here for nigh-on 14 years and love every minute of it.

I could show you a Pattaya that would be rather pleasant.

In terms of "infrastructure" I reckon Pattaya's pretty hard to equal. Look at the facts:

Best Hospitals (easily better than in my home country [Holland])

Extremely good sellection of Restaurants

Brilliant shopping (2 x Lotus' 2 x Big C; 2 x Top's; (almost) 2 x Carefour plus a collection of locals.

Some excellent Bookshops (and I'm talking about the second hand book-shops)

Reasonably clean beaches (Jomtien)

Absolutely brilliant sailing and winds-surfing

Some of the best Golf-courses within minutes from Pattaya-City

With regards to the "seedy areas"; that's fairly easy: don't go there.

Cheers,

Happy Pattaya-an

I wish you could have showed me the nice side of pattaya, and i did get a room in the seedy areas both times (are there any other rooms to be had). Funny thing that both times i got neg was from foreigners, one guy with his knights trophy (a young maiden) who kicked off when we both tried to open the same windowed door in opposite directions, (quite funny really, but they didn't think so), and the second time from these two falang on some hight powered motorbike they had rented .Let me tell you

I was walking down the street with my girlfriend (not bargirl) and they were coming the other way slowly. It must have been one off those small sois that run parallel to Pattaya beach. We didn't know which way to go and neither did they, to avoid a collision! quite funny too in normal circumstances really. The sort of thing that could bring a mutual smile. (at such slow speed no one would have been injured). This guy just revved his engine up hard, like get the ....off the road (impossible with the amount of bargirls on the street) and then his girlfriend was shouting at us both. I stopped him by grabbing his arm, which i dont think he expected. They were shouting, telling me i should be on the pavement blah blah. He had a helmut on and looked ready to take it off and hit me but i just told hime there was no need to be like this.

I'm not flaming you, and if you like the place youve done well for yourself, but

best hospital - probably bumrungrad, if you got the dosh

restaurants - if you like western food at western prices/at least thats what i saw for the mostpart

brilliant shopping - second time I walked vai the coach station through big C, missed the carrefor and Tesco but have been to many of these (they are common as any other capitalist chain removing the need for small business

bookshops - you got me one that one:) but i got no time to read righti now unfortunately

Went to Jomtiem beach - Thailand has a lot more to offer (unless your of certain unstable mind) - trust me (suprised if you don't realize that after 14 years)

Watersports - looked great, lots of boats people flying in the sky jetskis,....... preffer a good snorkel myself......and i get the feeling that if i lived in Pattaya a few years i really would be'swimming with the fish' In my best italian mifioso tony montana voice

Golf can't play./ so maybe me and you just got different interests

seems stupid of me to list it like this though as you know where to go and what to do ..........- I didn't find it like that though (a shame) and really just wanted to get out of that place soon as.....i.e not spend much time looking round at all. Do you have to get right out of Pattaya city to places were it's quite and people don't see 'another falang with a another thai woman'. Where exactly?

Funny thing is that the second time we went we were going to get off the coach at Banglampung but missed the stop. Tell me where to go and I'm there :o . Anywhere nice and quietish without the fumes of Bangkok is what i call a holiday.

Don't joke me though, if you really think there is a nice side to Pattaya which you could show, I would take the offer on:)

regarding the storms damage etc that is a bad thing so i'm sorry if my jibe was originally in bad taste. I hope no damgae is done

(an unhappy bangkokian - (can you tell from my bitter and twisted outlook) :D I quite feel like a move to laos or cambodia these days, just though i'd add that as a closing comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a la Nina meant it was going to be drier than usual and a la nino it's really wet!!! At least that's how it was in the states and I just recently saw a forecast from there that there is a la nina and to expect drier than usual conditions; which is a great concern in my home state of California.

By the way we have had an unusual amount of rain the Khao Chee Chan area since the rainy season supposedly ended!

Beachbunny

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a la Nina meant it was going to be drier than usual and a la nino it's really wet!!! At least that's how it was in the states and I just recently saw a forecast from there that there is a la nina and to expect drier than usual conditions; which is a great concern in my home state of California.

By the way we have had an unusual amount of rain the Khao Chee Chan area since the rainy season supposedly ended!

Beachbunny

Almost right...El Nino is dry in America and wet in Asia. La Nina is the other way around...

I stay in wongsawang bangkok and it has not rained in this area at all in the last 2 months and this week has been dry and hot with no rain i keep hearing that it will rain but yet it never rains so this story is just crap

I stay in wongsawang bangkok and it has not rained in this area at all in the last 2 months and this week has been dry and hot with no rain i keep hearing that it will rain but yet it never rains so this story is just crap

Not one of your posts has ever had a positive ring to it gwmss15... :D

I bet you just can't wait until October... :o

Update from Phang Nga.Krabi - torrential rain every evening at about 6pm starts in Krabi then moves into Phang Nga Bay. BIG thunder storms !!!!!!!

Isn't it that time of year for afternoon thunderstorms for your side, Seonai? We get them a bit later than you do. Ours blow in with the Pattaya wind (don't know why its called the Pattaya wind since it comes from the southwest). Anyway, as the wind shifts from the north to the southwest, we get tremendous thunderstorms that literally blow right through. Round about May.

We have had perfectly beautiful weather here, rained a bit in Thong Sala the other day (7km down the road) but nothing here. Here's hoping for some rain as we will dry out soon if it doesn't!

Not one of your posts has ever had a positive ring to it gwmss15... :D

I bet you just can't wait until October... :o

OMG! I just read through ALL of his posts! This is a guy that should NEVER go to a non-English speaking country! I mean EVER! I haven't seen that level of whingeing online! ((Don't you know he's just a JOY to be around! I'd hate to be the random farang in his neighborhood!

I'm so tired of the OMG... Global Warming Nonsense. I wish they would just publish all of the statistics that everyone has gathered and not just the one's that champion their own cause. Has anyone ever bothered to actually check their stats or look at some of the lesser known studies? Less than 4% of our Glaciers are melting world wide, most are actually growing. The water level world wide hasn't increased by more than 1/4" on a worldwide average in 100 years. Global temperature rise, some places are warming and some are cooling and not by strictly north and south regions. Most of this is cyclical for our world.

Has anyone noticed that this Global Warming Terror only started after the fall of the Berlin Wall? The world has to have a world threat to keep the masses in check... they have to divert our attention away from what the world governors are doing and focus it on a world threat. Well the cold war is past... Now we have to worry about either drowning, freezing to death or winding up on a planet that is total sahara. The Global Warming Guru's can't even agree on what will happen. Except that we'll all die and we'd better be very afraid. I'm afraid of them...

Just crap. Can you develop and give some proofs, links or some evidence Mr.professor. The world is in danger, believe it or not. My homecountry is Switzerland and I live right in the middle of the mountains, I can tell you that the glaciers are not growing, but melting. And I can bring proofs in photographies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo a couple of days back had a story about Mammoths, and why they died out. Global warming. That was 10,000 years back.

1500 BC The weather in Scandinavia turned from warm and dry to cold, causing the people there to move southward into northern Europe and becoming a series of tribes loosely called teutonic among other names. Global cooling

1000 AD the weather turns cold once again, Greenland fails as the once warm clime becomes cold. Global cooling

The present day, the temperature has gone up 1 degree over the last century. Global warming

You get the idea? Climate is cyclic, we have no say on what the sun is doing, and its a bit hotter, so the earth gets a bit warmer. Big volcano, gets a bit cooler here, two very cool years after Krakatoa. l I say look at historical and geologic evidence before believing the same dunderheads whom were predicting a new ice age in the early 1970's.