Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Trees planted in Thailand do not take long to grow, I thought you people that have been in Thailand for any amount of time would know that, it will soon have shade.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The old-growth trees that they cut down probably took 50-60 years to grow. Not long? Some trees grow faster than others.

Trees planted in Thailand do not take long to grow, I thought you people that have been in Thailand for any amount of time would know that, it will soon have shade.

A few years from now there will be a TV posting "city contractors butcher shade trees along Beach Rd." :-)

The old-growth trees that they cut down probably took 50-60 years to grow.  Not long?  Some trees grow faster than others.

really? I could have sworn that this is the third time since 1997 the entire tree population of beach road has been replaced .

• Like 1

The old-growth trees that they cut down probably took 50-60 years to grow. Not long? Some trees grow faster than others.

really? I could have sworn that this is the third time since 1997 the entire tree population of beach road has been replaced .

The City has cut down old-growth trees (especially the umbrella trees) for a long time. You should have seen how beautiful the shade trees were back in the mid-80s. Cutting them down in the past does not mean cutting all of them down. What they are doing now is cutting down the oldest ones--the last remaining ones that they never cut down. It is a shame.

palm trees wont provide much shade however fast they grow, but I guess if there are no seats it wont matter

Many of the shade trees needed to go because the lighting above could not penetrate to the walkway below them at night. Safety reasons. Same reason for the benches. I know they were nice to have, but in all truthfulness, they were mainly occupied by ladyboys and prostitutes. Hardly any room was left for the tourist or occasional walker. If they leave the benches out of the final design, a lot of the prostitutes will find somewhere to hang out, but there will be less on Beach Road. I have to say, the almost finished product is looking great.

the prostitutes are just as happy sitting on mats, its the tourists that will have to find somewhere else to go

It will be one big loading/unloading zone. The tour buses will block traffic.

If tour buses load/unload in that lane--as they surely will--it's a big improvement over the current practice of loading/unloading in the left lane and so leaving only one lane open. So two lanes will be open AND tourists won't have to risk crossing Beach Rd., further slowing traffic, AND tour buses won't be blocking cars and motorbikes from parking or leaving their parking spots.

Yep, that's undoubtedly better.

Sad to say, your balloon failed to impress our choir of doomsayers as it was just so easily popped. Yawn.

This will be followed by the 'glass half full' crowd condemning others for complaining about the 'wonderful (as they sit far away from ground zero) new Pattaya'.biggrin.pnglaugh.png

This will be followed by the 'glass half empty' crowd condemning others for pointing out the positives about the 'wonderful (as they sit not far away from ground zero) new Pattaya'.biggrin.pnglaugh.png

So? What else is new?

if you are once again incorrect in your analysis ("Pattaya is not being turned into a package tourism destination")

I made no such analysis, because I don't care who the tourists are, where they come from, or how they get here. And I said that already in this thread.

Senility is no excuse, so please stop confusing me with someone else and repeating that lie--before you're reported to the mods. Thank you.

Three cheers for Pattaya City Council. The new promenade is looking modern, clean and a pleasure to walk on. There are less dirty old perverts, less leather faced hookers and more space for us folk to enjoy.

10 out of 10 - well done.

I guess since regular tourist want places to sit and relax a bit while walking.The only

people that will be left on beach road will be the dirty old perverts and the leather faced

hookers.

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

Three cheers for Pattaya City Council.

The new promenade is looking modern, clean and a pleasure to walk on.

There are less dirty old perverts, less leather faced hookers and more space for us folk to enjoy.

10 out of 10 - well done.

Wait for the promenade works to finish

and for all Beach Road businesses to put their waste and trash cans on it as usual,

and your new promenade soon will look like the old one...

Picture from yesterday Sunday:

399.jpg

Were the old growth root systems vital for the preservation of the coastline?

My guess is that they were important for the preservation of the coastline--meaning, less erosion. Why? Because those trees (actually there are two main species) are adapted to the "beach area" and can withstand high salinity, and they have massive root systems, in comparison to palm trees, which have a small root system. For me, and many others, they provided critically important shade. Palm trees simply do not do that. All of us, except those who cannot accept any criticism (and we all know who that person is), will have to weigh the pros and cons of the project. It looks like a lot of "cons" to me: old-growth shade trees gone; no more shade; no place to sit (maybe that will change); less space between where you walk and the traffic; high probability that the left lane and the right lane will be blocked and used for concessions, parking, motorcycle rentals, etc; serious traffic jam in the making where beach road turns left into south road (still have not heard a reasonable solution to this soon-to-be problem).

However; if you are once again incorrect in your analysis ("Pattaya is not being turned into a package tourism destination"), the only place you have left [biggrin.png because we have driven you to the sea laugh.png] to study is Koh Larn:lol:biggrin.pngtongue.pngsmile.png Yipee!!

I doubt anyone can figure out what exactly this poster is on about--and I made no such analysis--but the funny thing is that the attitude seems to be the reverse of that normally expected. Instead of the ol' "love it or leave it," it's rather "hate it or leave it." In other words, if you like Pattaya and have a generally positive view of it, then you don't really belong here, being happy and all. You should move out and leave it exclusively to the whingers and doomsayers who actually don't like living here! Only they really belong, living here because, I suppose, they love to hate it so much! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

--More room to walk on the "new" Beach Road promenade is great but now there is a new problem: 'friken motorbikes. Now they have discovered to buzz up the spacious walkway to get to one of the sois across the street (remember Beach Rd is one way) or just to get to their beach chair area where they are working or hybernating. So many of these annoyances and sometimes dangers could be taken care of by having a couple city police patroling the area (and also ticketing the busses that are illegally parked on the new lane)-- but it seems the police do not do these civic duty responsiblities.(Note: there could be pocket money in it by giving out tickets.)

We need to be clear about "more room to walk." Beach Road is a long road. In places along the walkway, it does now appear wider, but in other places it appears the opposite. Today I took a stroll across from Central Festival Mall (CFM). Yes, in that area it does appear wider. But it was hot. The palm trees were nice and orderly but provided virtually no shade. As the project moves from CFM towards Walking Street, the path becomes more narrow; in some places I do not see how people will even be able to walk by each other if they are going in different directions (bit of an exagerration, but not too much). Yes, I did see the red and white no parking marks. We will see how that plays itself out. Some people are saying that the new road is for parking. But the red and white marks tell me otherwise. When high season arrives and the traffic picks up, if even one bus/truck/car parks in the new lane that will cause a major traffic jam. Finally, right now it seems more dangerous to cross the street. Maybe they will add more crossing lanes with lights and maybe Thais will actually stop when they are supposed to and not run over the pedestrians, and maybe pigs will learn to fly :)

• Like 1

--More room to walk on the "new" Beach Road promenade is great but now there is a new problem: 'friken motorbikes. Now they have discovered to buzz up the spacious walkway to get to one of the sois across the street (remember Beach Rd is one way) or just to get to their beach chair area where they are working or hybernating. So many of these annoyances and sometimes dangers could be taken care of by having a couple city police patroling the area (and also ticketing the busses that are illegally parked on the new lane)-- but it seems the police do not do these civic duty responsiblities.(Note: there could be pocket money in it by giving out tickets.)

having the police race up and down on their motorbikes, as they already do, is no solution to that problem

• Like 1

My guess is that they were important for the preservation of the coastline--meaning, less erosion. Why? Because those trees (actually there are two main species) are adapted to the "beach area" and can withstand high salinity, and they have massive root systems, in comparison to palm trees, which have a small root system. For me, and many others, they provided critically important shade. Palm trees simply do not do that. All of us, except those who cannot accept any criticism (and we all know who that person is), will have to weigh the pros and cons of the project. It looks like a lot of "cons" to me: old-growth shade trees gone; no more shade; no place to sit (maybe that will change); less space between where you walk and the traffic; high probability that the left lane and the right lane will be blocked and used for concessions, parking, motorcycle rentals, etc; serious traffic jam in the making where beach road turns left into south road (still have not heard a reasonable solution to this soon-to-be problem).

I have put our oversensitive critic on my ignore list before he starts taking root.laugh.png

Welcome to the "doomsayers" club. I still glance at his posts coffee1.gif, but I never read anything new (broken record).

I have put our oversensitive critic on my ignore list before he starts taking root.laugh.png

Welcome to the "doomsayers" club.

Congrats. You've now met the VP and head of the welcoming committee!

Now, meet Our President, the distinguished Miss Cry Baby:

post-14882-0-26362400-1330941605_thumb.j

Our Motto: Pattaya: Hate it Or Leave It!

We need to be clear about "more room to walk." Beach Road is a long road. In places along the walkway, it does now appear wider, but in other places it appears the opposite. Today I took a stroll across from Central Festival Mall (CFM). Yes, in that area it does appear wider. But it was hot. The palm trees were nice and orderly but provided virtually no shade. As the project moves from CFM towards Walking Street, the path becomes more narrow; in some places I do not see how people will even be able to walk by each other if they are going in different directions (bit of an exagerration, but not too much). Yes, I did see the red and white no parking marks. We will see how that plays itself out. Some people are saying that the new road is for parking. But the red and white marks tell me otherwise. When high season arrives and the traffic picks up, if even one bus/truck/car parks in the new lane that will cause a major traffic jam. Finally, right now it seems more dangerous to cross the street. Maybe they will add more crossing lanes with lights and maybe Thais will actually stop when they are supposed to and not run over the pedestrians, and maybe pigs will learn to fly smile.png

I did a walk from Hard Rock all the way to the end near the Amari a few weeks ago. Like you said, NO shade. Just too hot.

Drove by Mike's Shopping Mall today. The sidewalk was already narrow there, but now, seems you might have to walk up the steps of that platform to get around. I'm not sure, but they'll have to do something there.

OP

Disheartening.

Sad really, when comparing what was, to what is now, makes me wonder about Thailand and who has lined their own pockets at the expense of the life styles of the public population.

I avoided this thread for weeks now but can not avoid the changes in town especially on north beach which used to be an architectural dream compared to the generic cheap shitty mess we have now.

And i thought i would not even get started on this, it simply saddens me. facepalm.gif

(now i cant stop - whose idea was it to construct during rainy season?)

and have you seen the scarce replacements for what was once numerous benches, OMFG!

Are they trying to send us a message?

or do not even bother reading into this mess?

rant over

Wow, so many negative comments, unbelievable. Took a walk from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Nua today and the north end (near the Thai Airways Office) is complete now. No more huge drains with rusted out steel grates to walk on. It's all concrete and has some seating up there now, all be it in the sun though.

I still think it is better now than what it was before, the first 2 photos are the north end. The second 2 photos is the south end, the way it use to be all the way along and is still the same on the south end. Give me the new layout any day.

post-29657-0-95962000-1375791094_thumb.j

post-29657-0-35809600-1375791107_thumb.j

post-29657-0-93124600-1375791135_thumb.j

post-29657-0-63722700-1375791148_thumb.j

• Like 2

OP

Disheartening.

Sad really, when comparing what was, to what is now, makes me wonder about Thailand and who has lined their own pockets at the expense of the life styles of the public population.

I avoided this thread for weeks now but can not avoid the changes in town especially on north beach which used to be an architectural dream compared to the generic cheap shitty mess we have now.

And i thought i would not even get started on this, it simply saddens me. facepalm.gif

(now i cant stop - whose idea was it to construct during rainy season?)

and have you seen the scarce replacements for what was once numerous benches, OMFG!

Are they trying to send us a message?

or do not even bother reading into this mess?

rant over

BYOC (bring your own chair) -I am sure the beach chair vendors can now start renting their chairs out on the new promenade.

• Like 1

Wow, so many negative comments, unbelievable. Took a walk from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Nua today and the north end (near the Thai Airways Office) is complete now. No more huge drains with rusted out steel grates to walk on. It's all concrete and has some seating up there now, all be it in the sun though.

I still think it is better now than what it was before, the first 2 photos are the north end. The second 2 photos is the south end, the way it use to be all the way along and is still the same on the south end. Give me the new layout any day.

is it like my home town??

post-62639-0-63604800-1375804689_thumb.j

went for a walk on it yesterday, no shade anywhere, strictly for night use from now on

Wear a wide brim hat like I do. The trees will mature and provide shade in due course, all new projects take time to mature.
hats a good idea but the palms wont get much bigger and even if they did they would cut them down to keep their lights from being shaded, just have to accept that there will be no shading on the beach for the foreseeable future. a bad decision in my view but thats the way it is

Yes it is cleaner now in a clinical antiseptic sort of way.

But I am hardly reading rave review here what a great place the new promenade

is to kick back and relax.The old promenade was the only shred of a park Pattaya

had.

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 2

The old promenade was the only shred of a park Pattaya

had.

Not really, I walk down past the Bali Hi pier and all the boats and head towards the lighthouse past the sea rescue center. Take the stairs up at the lighthouse and you will find heaps and heaps of trees and walkways. There would be acres of walkways up there on the hill, all nice and quiet and trees everywhere with views too.

Besides do you really think the old promenade was a some sort of "shred of a park"? It never has been.

• Like 1

So, what with the disruption and palm trees going does anybody give a damn about the rats (the furry variety) who live along the beach walk? I think that powers that be should be more aware of their habitat, and conservation issues generally.

But I am hardly reading rave review what a great place the new promenade is to kick back and relax.

Well, ho's, katooeys, pimps, scam artists, street vendors, promenade johns, and yobs don't much post on the forum. You wanna kick back and relax, that's what the bars, restaurants, and go-gos are for, not to mention the beach umbrellas. smile.png TQ has rock music, too. Well, if you hit it at the right time.

• Like 1