Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Evidently the motorbike rental gang is more powerful than the police, or more likely, owned by police. The police have tried to move them off, years ago, but with no luck. Besides, even if they moved off, then the local shops and bars would put chairs or cones in the road, and reserve the parking for themselves.

The large sand bags on the water line are used as a breakwater so that work can be done on the sea wall and large drainage channels.

The small sand bags stacked on top of the sea wall are probably to keep flood waters from the street washing away the beach. The water will flow down to the large drains.

All pics are from northern end of Pattaya beach.

I think the sand-bags that sit next to the pathway are placed to keep the sand from blowing on the pathway..........does not work, as is evident on Jomtien Beach. The pathways have to be swept each day to remove the sand.

I walked the length of the new "promenade"? and my first impression is that it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. They basically eliminated the wide berm that was between the street and the walkway to make the new lane. Nobody used that berm area except for a few unfortunates laying about on rice mats.

The actual width of the walkway has not changed much, and is actually flatter and more usable. Lack of shade and seating will definitely be a problem if not addressed in the final plan.

I don't see how there will be any change or improvement for traffic on beach road. It will still be chaos.

The downside is the removal of the trees. Also, the walkway is now so flat it looks like a future motorbike route for those too impatient to wait for the traffic on beach road. The erosion and drainage problems will probably be as usual, but from living at a beach front area for many years those problems once started are nearly impossible to completely fix. Giant sand socks, walls, sand replenishment etc. will probably be the future.

The usual beach suspects were all huddled together at the end of the remaining bit of the old walkway near walking street. Like fish grouped together in a drying pond.

I walked the length of the new "promenade"? and my first impression is that it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. They basically eliminated the wide berm that was between the street and the walkway to make the new lane. Nobody used that berm area except for a few unfortunates laying about on rice mats.

The actual width of the walkway has not changed much, and is actually flatter and more usable. Lack of shade and seating will definitely be a problem if not addressed in the final plan.

I don't see how there will be any change or improvement for traffic on beach road. It will still be chaos.

The downside is the removal of the trees. Also, the walkway is now so flat it looks like a future motorbike route for those too impatient to wait for the traffic on beach road. The erosion and drainage problems will probably be as usual, but from living at a beach front area for many years those problems once started are nearly impossible to completely fix. Giant sand socks, walls, sand replenishment etc. will probably be the future.

The usual beach suspects were all huddled together at the end of the remaining bit of the old walkway near walking street. Like fish grouped together in a drying pond.

I agree with every thing you say here.....

A few pics of sand bags on the sea wall. Maybe if you study these you can see why I think the sand bags are used to direct the flood water onto the beach just in certain areas.

so they are repeating the same mistake, rivers of sand washed out to sea, tractors needed to fill up the washed out ravines, and then they wonder why the beach is disappearing. some people never learn, or maybe just dont care Edited by wwex

I do not agree. The fact that the wide berm that separated the traffic from the walkway is gone is not progress. Now the traffic will be right in our face, so to speak.

I do not agree. The fact that the wide berm that separated the traffic from the walkway is gone is not progress. Now the traffic will be right in our face, so to speak.

The berm was nice landscaped plantings until someone decided to erect hundreds of weekend festival vendor tents right on top of the flowers/shrubbery.

Those vendors trashed the place and nobody seemed to notice.

I sometimes wonder why they dont employ a few people from Nong Nooch gardens to oversee these projects. They obviously have the talent and ability and it could really boost Pattayas tourism image.

I sometimes wonder why they dont employ a few people from Nong Nooch gardens to oversee these projects. They obviously have the talent and ability and it could really boost Pattayas tourism image.

I believe Nong Nooch are involved, at least as far as the trees are concerned. I often see their vehicles by the works.

I believe Nong Nooch is involved, at least with the trees. Their vehicles are often seen by the works.

My guess is that the more old-growth trees they destroy, the more palm trees Nong Nooch sells to the City.

• Like 2

The former dolphin statue area down from Pattaya Klang or central road has now been completed with bricks. People are again meeting up here, but lack of seating is obvious.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-181241-13740661142126_thumb.jpg

post-181241-13740661238135_thumb.jpg

post-181241-137406613352_thumb.jpg

They have painted red and white stripes on the kerb stone at the northern end of Beach Road. Whether this will be enforced only time will tell, but it is a start. A few days ago police were out ticketing vehicles parked in the new lane.

They have painted red and white stripes on the kerb stone at the northern end of Beach Road. Whether this will be enforced only time will tell, but it is a start. A few days ago police were out ticketing vehicles parked in the new lane.

Nah, there were 3 tourist busses parked across from the Holiday Inn tonight. Near the Dusit Hotel (the curve area) it looks like they will have a "flower box" along there. PREDICTION: If it is like any other kind of "flower area" or fountain, it will look nice the first month, then be neglected the next 8 years. that is ok, it will become a trash bin. Am I being negative? My judgement is based on the lack of maintenance with the Beach Rd promenade in the past.

• Like 1

The new lane is a 'loading zone' for the beach vendors that will be set up on the new pathway.

The new lane is a 'loading zone' for the beach vendors that will be set up on the new pathway.

Please no...Pattaya needs at least one place with out seller of tourist junk...The festivals are ok

but selling 24/7 NO.

Pattaya is loaded to the gills with junk sellers....

Edited by fforest1

Please no...Pattaya needs at least one place with out seller of tourist junk...The festivals are ok but

selling 24/7 NO.....

You think city officials will let beach front property go waste?(tourists)

This is valuable 'turf' that will be exploited for personal gains by city staff.

Look what they did to the beach.

Every square centimeter leased to slum chair vendors. Even the 50% designated for tourists....

Edited by DiNiro

After looking at a recent picture, enforcement is going to be spotty at best. When this project is complete it will represent a terrific opportunity for the BIB and the City if they want to increase revenue. The Denver boot and a citation should have the desired effect. I know of condominiums that use the boot to enforce their handicapped parking.

post-9935-0-34579000-1374209520_thumb.jp

Tents put up tonight on the new walkway on Beach road, from Pattaya Klang to Soi 9.

Yes, for the long 4 day weekend.

Take a look on Tuesday morning at the gigantic mess they leave always behind.

Total disregard for the environment, treating the footpath like a garbage dump.

• Like 1