Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Now not so good anymore on a sunny day due to the lacking shade so I only walk when clouded, it's kind of sad.

Not sad at all. I've run marathons on sunny days w/ no shade whatsoever. The palm trees will provide some shade, though.

Now, if I decide to take a run or walk for exercise, I don't care what the weather is as long as the snow's not too deep (not much of an issue here, eh). I'll deal with it. You can, too.

If it's sunny and hot, just wear a broad-brimmed hat, sunglasses, suntan lotion, and a sports water bottle. Oh--and at least a Speedo, in Pattaya, of course. Sorted! Next.

• Like 1

Well thank you very much, I like to walk there for exercise, lock the bike and then start walking and go back and pick up my bike.

Now not so good anymore on a sunny day due to the lacking shade so I only walk when clouded, it's kind of sad.

Seriously, do what us Golfers do, use a brolly !

Took a stroll along the beach today and it was so nice to not have to run the obstacle course of old. Nice and wide and plenty of room.

The only downside was the young guy on the motor bike who sped so fast and so close behind me. Really he was going at leas t60ks.

• Like 1

I am amazed at the posters who are defending the Pattaya shade tree massacre, making the walkway hotter than hell. Some of the "defenders" are posting misleading information. To take one example, the idea that "there is now plenty of room" to walk/jog is misleading. In some places that is true; in other places there is far less room as the pathway is narrower, not wider. About exercise: Yes, lots of people do exercise in the early morning and evening, but others like to exercise whenever they can find the time to do so, and that is sometimes not in the early morning or evening. In the past, it was possible to jog down the pathway in the heat of the day. Why? Guess :) The "bent tree" comment betrays a mindset that is opposed to nature. I find that odd, to say the least. My guess is that the defenders of this FUBAR project hate nature and feel totally disconnected from it. Cut the trees down for security so the cameras (Big Brother) can see what is going on. Give me a break. Using that logic the City should demand the removal of all of the umbrellas because the cameras cannot see beneath them.

I am amazed at the posters who are defending the Pattaya shade tree massacre, making the walkway hotter than hell.

I am amazed at the posters who don't understand that sitting in a traffic jam, esp on a motorbike, gets one hotter than hell because it's hotter than hell out in the street--where there's never been any shade, needless to say. And it's such a waste of time. We're all supposed to continue to endure all that heat, gas-wasting, time-wasting, and inconvenience so's you can sit in the shade.

Forget it. A lot more people are going to happier not catering to your comfort.

Some of the "defenders" are posting misleading information. To take one example, the idea that "there is now plenty of room" to walk/jog is misleading. In some places that is true; in other places there is far less room as the pathway is narrower, not wider.

But the doomsayers have prophesied that no one is going to use the new promenade, so no big deal. In fact, no one's going to stay at the beach hotels, have no reason now to come to the beach, etc. It's all going to be deserted there, you see. w00t.gif

The "bent tree" comment betrays a mindset that is opposed to nature. I find that odd, to say the least. My guess is that the defenders of this FUBAR project hate nature and feel totally disconnected from it.

The "no bent tree" comment betrays a mindset that is opposed to nature. I find that odd, to say the least. My guess is that the opponents of this helpful project hate nature and feel totally disconnected from it, because they don't mind people sitting in a traffic jam daily and all day on weekends wasting a lot of gas, running their air-conditioners, burning fossil fuels and contributing to air pollution.

Automobile and motorbike drivers are very much a part of nature--being mere humans--and there are a helluva lot more of them on Beach Rd than tree huggers. I like trees, too, but I like traveling on Beach Rd. at reasonable speed a lot better. And I know I can also walk on the new promenade w/o problem--as you'll see that so many people will do. Lot of them on the partly completed sections already, and it's middle of low season. Sorry!

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I've not followed this story but I was down there yesterday and was pleasantly suprised how clean and more spacious it all looked so it's a thumbs up for me.

Those that are complaining about the lack of shade I say so what? Who in their right mind walks along Pattaya beach front anyay? I've never done it and never will.

Well thank you very much, I like to walk there for exercise, lock the bike and then start walking and go back and pick up my bike.

Anybody knows a nice place for walking around Pattaya? not interested in gyms.

As a temporally solution I walk around in our village after sun set but much nicer to take in the beach scenery.

Don't get me wrong I like walking but I find it too hot here...but yes a walk down there is ok for that purpose, but lets face it it's hardly somewhere to take a nice stroll or to take the kids is it, dirty foul place with the dregs of the earth inhabiting the place...but hopefully that is going to change....

Bit judgemental are we?

I liked to walk on the promenade around 1700 when it was getting cooler.

Nowhere else in Pattaya to walk unless you like hilly- above the lighthouse.

The walk along the seafront from Bali Hi to the lighthouse used to be nice till they started parking the boats there. Of course, city hall would never preserve people pleasure over money.

The bent tree on beach road sidewalk near Soi Post Office is now gone. Many unsuspecting tourist with wandering eyes were not focused on that tree. Some had a head banging experience. An accident waiting to happen. RIP

If you feel strongly about that tree I am sure you can find some natives that will hold a service in this area. At your expense of course.

The steps at Mikes are a problem for wheel chairs but the plan appeared to show a new ramp. Does not look like they are constructing one. So I guess the cutouts on the curb will allow the wheel chairs to use the road.

At least they have a gal supervising that whole area every day.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1377762698.544265.jpg

Completing last piece just north of Soi 1.

This section was not completed with the rest of the walkway due to a wall frame that needed to be repaired. To me it looked temporatry-just added a type of fiber material to the sides of the wall frame and then filled it in with dirt. If my observation was correct, this is not going to last very long- but long enough for the contractors to call it "finished" and get their money. Maybe the farang "walking engineers" that take morning walks in this area can correct me on this repair job.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1377762698.544265.jpg

Completing last piece just north of Soi 1.

This section was not completed with the rest of the walkway due to a wall frame that needed to be repaired. To me it looked temporatry-just added a type of fiber material to the sides of the wall frame and then filled it in with dirt. If my observation was correct, this is not going to last very long- but long enough for the contractors to call it "finished" and get their money. Maybe the farang "walking engineers" that take morning walks in this area can correct me on this repair job.

When it comes to concrete in public areas, I have rarely if ever seen it done well, or even properly. That's what comes from employing unskilled workers to save money.

Near where I live, they built a large concrete drain. As they didn't seem to realise the reinforcing needs to be IN the concrete, not just under it, I expect it to last about 3 years before it starts collapsing.

This Sunday morning

160.jpg

Thanks for the photos.

Looking at this one, there does not seem to be any ground level way to get past the raised section. So, what about wheelchair users, parents with prams etc etc?

Can someone tell us if in fact there is no way to get past without either walking up and down, or going in the road.

This Sunday morning

160.jpg

Thanks for the photos.

Looking at this one, there does not seem to be any ground level way to get past the raised section. So, what about wheelchair users, parents with prams etc etc?

Can someone tell us if in fact there is no way to get past without either walking up and down, or going in the road.

Thanks for those pics. They show how different various sections of the project are in terms of width, among other things. About the ability to get around the area with the stepts. I tried to walk around it on the roadside, but it seemed a bit dangerous because the traffic is right in your face. There just isn't room on the side adjacent to the road. I am not sure what they will do to accomodate wheelchair users and parents with "prams." Rumour has it that the elevated part in the last picture was actually dedicated by the King of Thailand, so nobody can remove it or do any damage to it. Maybe another person can verify if that is true. I continue to maintain that cutting down the old-growth trees was a huge mistake because now pedistrians do not have amble shade--it really is hot. But, for those people who do not like nature and crooked trees and other imperfections, who want everything very neat and orderly, and who love walking in the hot sun, the new walkway is likely going to be seen as an improvement.

Thanks for those pics. They show how different various sections of the project are in terms of width, among other things. About the ability to get around the area with the stepts. I tried to walk around it on the roadside, but it seemed a bit dangerous because the traffic is right in your face. There just isn't room on the side adjacent to the road. I am not sure what they will do to accomodate wheelchair users and parents with "prams." Rumour has it that the elevated part in the last picture was actually dedicated by the King of Thailand, so nobody can remove it or do any damage to it. Maybe another person can verify if that is true. I continue to maintain that cutting down the old-growth trees was a huge mistake because now pedistrians do not have amble shade--it really is hot. But, for those people who do not like nature and crooked trees and other imperfections, who want everything very neat and orderly, and who love walking in the hot sun, the new walkway is likely going to be seen as an improvement.

I heard that rumour too, pretty silly because that concrete wall blocking where wheelchairs could go past serves no purpose except to hold that plaque, and now the only people that will see the plaque are the cars driving past and its not like they will be able to read it so the whole exercise defeats the purpose. and I agree about the trees, walking in the daytime is no fun now, its one of the reasons I moved to Pattaya and its a shame that such a simple but pleasant aspect of Pattayas character has been destroyed

I continue to maintain that cutting down the old-growth trees was a huge mistake because now pedistrians do not have amble shade--it really is hot.

Ummmm.. 'old growth trees' may be a bit too much honor.. They were mostly Hu Kwang trees right, and some coconut palms? Pretty shitty things who's only claim to fame is that they grow really fast and do indeed provide shade. But not too much of a loss really as far as trees go.

biodiversity-133367-1.jpg

I continue to maintain that cutting down the old-growth trees was a huge mistake because now pedistrians do not have amble shade--it really is hot.

Ummmm.. 'old growth trees' may be a bit too much honor.. They were mostly Hu Kwang trees right, and some coconut palms? Pretty shitty things who's only claim to fame is that they grow really fast and do indeed provide shade. But not too much of a loss really as far as trees go.

biodiversity-133367-1.jpg

I disagree for several reasons: 1) they are endemic and adapted to saline conditions, 2) they are gorgeous to look at, 3) they provide massive shade, 4) they provide shelter when it rains, 5) their root system is so massive and intricate that it helps prevent beach erosion, 6) they do not produce huge fruits that will hit people on the head and knock them out (like the palm trees that the City planted). Fortunately, some remain, mostly on the beach. I saw several of these trees in front of Royal Garden Mall. When they get larger they will provide some shade but as they intrude on the walkway the City will probably cut them down.

• Like 1

FACT: I can look out my apartment balcony along Beach Road (north) and it is quite obvious that there are more people using the widen prominade. (Before the walkway was mostly a narrow walkway with curbing that would trap water when it rained.) Three - four times as many joggers and walkers now using the easy to walk on Beach Road promenade. At night, a lot more peope (who I assume are tourists) are walking on the new walkway--- I assume they feel safer because of the lighting. Next, it is nice for visitors to be able to see the sea from the restaurants or hotels across the street. (True, the faded rusted umbrellas need to be thrown out.) Before the new prominade was finished, I was one of the complainers, but when I balance out the before and after, I'll take the new prominade (except for the new Beach Road lane that was added - no use at all. ) Will I admit that city hall did a good job?---Not until I see monthly maintenance done on the walkway after it is built. (But I realize this city does not know what "maintenance" is since it is a developing country. If there was a "maintenance" budgeted, then it would just be pocketed. -Another FACT)

Edited by toenail

FACT: I can look out my apartment balcony along Beach Road (north) and it is quite obvious that there are more people using the widen prominade. (Before the walkway was mostly a narrow walkway with curbing that would trap water when it rained.) Three - four times as many joggers and walkers now using the easy to walk on Beach Road promenade. At night, a lot more peope (who I assume are tourists) are walking on the new walkway--- I assume they feel safer because of the lighting. Next, it is nice for visitors to be able to see the sea from the restaurants or hotels across the street. (True, the faded rusted umbrellas need to be thrown out.) Before the new prominade was finished, I was one of the complainers, but when I balance out the before and after, I'll take the new prominade (except for the new Beach Road lane that was added - no use at all. ) Will I admit that city hall did a good job?---Not until I see monthly maintenance done on the walkway after it is built. (But I realize this city does not know what "maintenance" is since it is a developing country. If there was a "maintenance" budgeted, then it would just be pocketed. -Another FACT)

I agree, but its actually made the walkway narrower from Mikes to Walking St, would have been ok if they hadnt taken the extra lane out of it

I disagree for several reasons: 1) they are endemic and adapted to saline conditions, 2) they are gorgeous to look at, 3) they provide massive shade, 4) they provide shelter when it rains, 5) their root system is so massive and intricate that it helps prevent beach erosion, 6) they do not produce huge fruits that will hit people on the head and knock them out (like the palm trees that the City planted). Fortunately, some remain, mostly on the beach. I saw several of these trees in front of Royal Garden Mall. When they get larger they will provide some shade but as they intrude on the walkway the City will probably cut them down.

Fair enough.. They're endemic to a huge region though, stretching from Africa to the Philippines. And indeed they're not fussy about soil or anything else. (I had some in front of my house and they were really hard to kill. (Mrs. wanted them dead, I didn't mind them too much)

All good points though.