Songkran, How Do You Feel About It?

yourauntbob

I guess if getting some water on you is going to ruin your day....maybe.....just maybe, stay indoors for a few days and leave the fun stuff for the rest of us.

I work and have to travel very bust streets to get to my job and it is as much fun today as it was 4 years ago. Wild, crazy, free, family friendly for the most part. At least in and around my hometown.

I have been blessed to have experienced Mardi Gras, Carnival, Spring Break (us, mexico), St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin, Oktoberfest (germany) and a few other celebrations and all of them have pros and cons and ALL have changed over the years. It is what makes these types of events so much fun.

But there will always be people (mostly older) who will always complain about how it is not the same as it was in "my day". If I wanted my life to be as boring as yours "dad" I would have stayed in my room. It ain't 1954 anymore people.....

The question was what do people feel about it. Some people love it, some loved it but not so much anymore, some hate it. You have to respect others opinions, even if they don't match your so hip-with-the-kids-party-loving attitude.

I do dread it a bit leading up to it, but then when it comes I really do enjoy it; though by the third day I want to head out without getting soaked. If people need to go somewhere or it's past a certain time or are carrying a phone or something then people who throw water over these people are just idiots to be honest. It does get ruined by some over-excited farangs or drunks (saw a nasty fight in Khoa San by a drunk huge Brit a couple of Songkrans ago and it made myself and a fellow bystander embarrassed to be British) but it's great when the girls let down their guard and the wet t-shirts are in full flow.

Still don't get the annoying powder thing though.

Edited by Hawkman

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will make sure that I am working, I absolutely hate it. This will be my 11th, the first couple were fun, but one day is enough of it.

I agree entirely.

It has got out of hand and lost it's purpose.

The novelty also wore off with me after the 2nd year, which I spent with Thais going round in a pick up - and they were bored by lunchtime!

One day a year is adequate.

• Like 1

Will be at Hua Hin in a 5stars hotel :)

Did that a few years back in Hua Hin, still had to go outside and walk around through the mayhem.

Going to spend part of it working, the other part sat I'm my garden. Bah Humbug!!

I love Sonkran but I hate old white foreigners moaning about it on internet forums.

Imagine if this were the USA or Australia and non-Americans or Aussies sat whining on the internet about thanks giving or Australia day.

I love Sonkran but I hate old white foreigners moaning about it on internet forums.

Imagine if this were the USA or Australia and non-Americans or Aussies sat whining on the internet about thanks giving or Australia day.

I hate Australia day, so freaking boring..

-

Well if you couldn't ride or walk half a block without being pelted with meat pies body parts from roast turkies, throughout the whole country for 4 days - and some places over a week - you'd probably see some blowback on the internet wouldn't you.

Edited by FunFon
  • Like 1

Songkran is a beautiful festival which has unfortunately been ruined over the last few years. Much the same as Xmas in the West. After about my 10th Songkran , I'd had enough and stopped taking part. Maybe because I'm 50 now and managed to get out Thailand for most of the festivals over the last 10 years, but last year was terrible. What gives a bunch of kids the right to throw water over an adult? This would never have happened 25 years ago when we were politely asked. Maybe it's because of the increase in farangs that come on holiday and leave their brains on the plane that it seems like farang are 'fair game'. I'm going to get a T-shirt made saying in Thai, " not all farang will giggle and wai you when you disrespect them". I've had some nice songkrans at my inlaws respecting my wife's parents. Also, it is nice when my children do it to me. But outside it is madness and for drunken kids and farang in their mid-life crisis and refuse to age with dignity.

U say u had 10 songkran here , and u never stayed here during the festivals??? what give them the right to to throw water on u ?? u say this would never happend 25 years ago <deleted> read history man and calm down, if u dont like it go to Laos 5555

Songkran is a beautiful festival which has unfortunately been ruined over the last few years. Much the same as Xmas in the West. After about my 10th Songkran , I'd had enough and stopped taking part. Maybe because I'm 50 now and managed to get out Thailand for most of the festivals over the last 10 years, but last year was terrible. What gives a bunch of kids the right to throw water over an adult? This would never have happened 25 years ago when we were politely asked. Maybe it's because of the increase in farangs that come on holiday and leave their brains on the plane that it seems like farang are 'fair game'. I'm going to get a T-shirt made saying in Thai, " not all farang will giggle and wai you when you disrespect them". I've had some nice songkrans at my inlaws respecting my wife's parents. Also, it is nice when my children do it to me. But outside it is madness and for drunken kids and farang in their mid-life crisis and refuse to age with dignity.

U say u had 10 songkran here , and u never stayed here during the festivals??? what give them the right to to throw water on u ?? u say this would never happend 25 years ago <deleted> read history man and calm down, if u dont like it go to Laos 5555

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran

Still love it - Only lasts 3 days in Kalasin.

Last year my wife got into an altercation with a English guy, he was walking through the mayhem with a face like a slapped arse.

Daring people to soak him , most couldn't be bothered, my wife doused him with a bucket of ice water, quite gently though.

Even though her arm was in a sling, he started shouting and shoved her quite hard.

There was a large inflatable swimming pool full of ice water that we used for refills.

He became quite friendly with it for a while smile.png

Kalasin is a big enough place to avoid the main festivities, this berk was looking for trouble and ended up cooling down.

My first songkran was in 1987 as a 22 year old - madness - but that was in Patts.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

Songkran, How Do You Feel About It?

Fantastic observational opportunity for studying the Thai cognitive process.

I foresee 498 fatalities due to buckets of ice-water to the face of blind-drunk motosai riders while they have 3 pillions and no helmets between them.

Will they start to learn, this year? Chances are less than minimal, Bob... Sit back and observe the retardedness.

Edited by Almera

Like most Thai festivals, group activities of any type, Songkran leans on the intensely childish side seemingly more appropriate for adolescents than any other age group. Hard for the typically more adult-like personalities of Westerners to enjoy such childishness. It would be akin to adults getting as amped up as the children to go Easter egg hunting. Quite silly by all Western standards.

On the other side, I have no gripes about Thais enjoying it. They certainly do know how to be 'sanook' as it is fundamentally important in their laid back culture.

• Like 1

Like most Thai festivals, group activities of any type, Songkran leans on the intensely childish side seemingly more appropriate for adolescents than any other age group. Hard for the typically more adult-like personalities of Westerners to enjoy such childishness. It would be akin to adults getting as amped up as the children to go Easter egg hunting. Quite silly by all Western standards.

On the other side, I have no gripes about Thais enjoying it. They certainly do know how to be 'sanook' as it is fundamentally important in their laid back culture.

A little sillyness is good every now and then :)

A little sillyness is good every now and then smile.png

Yeah, just personal preference I suppose. Thailand is like a constant, perpetual childlike gathering. I have to seek Thais nearly twice my age to have more serious interactions. But, I'm a serious guy; they are typically not. Fine.

Don't mind Songkran, coming from Aust. though, I can't help but see a massive waste of a precious resource - water.

Also gung-ho tourists with very high-powered super soaker water pistols squirting dirty gutter water in your eyes/ears/nose/mouth is annoying.

Ban the high-powered water guns I say - they've no place in the tradition of Songkran.

Yeah, just personal preference I suppose. Thailand is like a constant, perpetual childlike gathering. I have to seek Thais nearly twice my age to have more serious interactions. But, I'm a serious guy; they are typically not. Fine.

-

If you want to be serious, definitely in the wrong place, considered mental illness here.

I prefer my silliness as a bit of slap and tickle in privacy rather than out in the streets, but with playmates twice my age? I think not.

• Like 1

-

If you want to be serious, definitely in the wrong place, considered mental illness here.

I prefer my silliness as a bit of slap and tickle in privacy rather than out in the streets, but with playmates twice my age? I think not.

Ha! Twice my age is still with the living, thankfully. But, I can be silly, just not all the time which Thais tend to be.

Don't mind Songkran, coming from Aust. though, I can't help but see a massive waste of a precious resource - water.

Also gung-ho tourists with very high-powered super soaker water pistols squirting dirty gutter water in your eyes/ears/nose/mouth is annoying.

But by using the dirty gutter water, surely they are lessening the need to use clean and useful water?