Songkran, How Do You Feel About It?

yourauntbob

I LOVED my first day of Songkran. My second day, I loved it a bit less. My third day, even less. Now, I HATE it with a passion.

This year, to escape Songkran, I might spend the four days at Siam Water Park, splashing around on the slides etc.

I will get just as soaked. The big difference is that I shall be the one who decides how and when I get wet. Not some inconsiderate prick on the street.

+1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a foreigner living in their country why do you care? Whether you like it or don't like it is of no concern. This is "THEIR" holiday not yours. This is their special 3 days that means something to them. It's their cultural event just like the special holidays on your own country. Either go with the flow or simply bow out of it. Some of the comments and attitudes made here is why many Thais really would like to see you go. But as long as you spend money, they'll just ignore you and have their own fun even if it does get out of control. Enjoyed it 45 years ago and still enjoy it today. Why don't you blast the "running of the bulls" in Spain? Now that's dangerous! See my point?

An American talking about culture? The closest you guys get to culture is a yoghourt.

As for death statistics.... You only need to wait for the results against the predicted,

The running of the bulls certainly has it opposition as does dropping the donkey. Both will ultimately be banned on the grounds of animal cruelty.

Songkran... Cruelty to humans ?

running of the bulls will not be cancelled, not until we are slaves to PC jerks

I just love Songkhran here in Koh Chang..And obviously i abhor the excess.

Normally i allow myself 2/3 hours of fun every year, wearing my worst clothes and with just some money in a plastic bag smile.png

I can choose to avoid it, but i would still enjoy the younger people having fun, and the joyous atmosphere all around.

That said, it should be not too difficult for the old, boring lads to stay out of the roads for some days, is it ?

there will be hundreds of joyous lads wrapped in white sheets dead on the road, and a few thousand with injuries they will never fully recover from. As one minister commented its a national embaresment

I just love Songkhran here in Koh Chang..And obviously i abhor the excess.

Normally i allow myself 2/3 hours of fun every year, wearing my worst clothes and with just some money in a plastic bag smile.png

I can choose to avoid it, but i would still enjoy the younger people having fun, and the joyous atmosphere all around.

That said, it should be not too difficult for the old, boring lads to stay out of the roads for some days, is it ?

there will be hundreds of joyous lads wrapped in white sheets dead on the road, and a few thousand with injuries they will never fully recover from. As one minister commented its a national embaresment

Eh..Hang on a minute..What about avoiding drink-driving..As any person with common sense would do..

Don't blame Songkhran, throwing water has never killed anybody as far as i know.. But drink-driving is killing scores everyday, without the need of Songkhran...And Ministers..hahaha..Let's not go there :)

• Like 2

Can be a lot of fun. Just don't like cold water and throwing buckets at Motorcycles.

Have experienced in both the city and rural. In the country they pretty well restrict

throwing water to one road so everyone knows what to expect.

this - what cardholder said

the current madhouse may be "Thai culture", but only in exactly the same way the kateoy groping us outside the Nana Hotel are Thai culture.

the difference between a pleasant cocktail party and what goes on at Haad Rin every full moon

certainly very far removed from anything traditional or positive

I hate it, and I've hated it ever since some lunatic, against my pleading, tossed water all over me in Bangkok about 15 years ago, and soaked a camera lens. Water did get into it, and it cost over $50 to have the lenses polished when I arrived home, and I lost the use of the lens whilst I was away. I pleaded with these jerks to at least let me put it safely out of danger but they went on with it. Homicide was but a moment away.

Fun for one day (fun for a couple of hours that one day for me), but it gets old fast! If I can't get out of the country, I stay home until the holiday is over. Sorry, I just find the whole thing boring!

• Like 1

The wife and I are not too keen on it so we stay home on the 13th. Where we live in the sleepy south it's all over by 6 or 7 o'clock. I'm happy that the Thais enjoy it though and have as much fun as possible.

On the 14th there's one or two kids at the side of the road in the morning but the give up by midday.

I pity the people that live in places like Chiang Mai, go out and get wet repeat infinitum.

The wife and I are not too keen on it so we stay home on the 13th. Where we live in the sleepy south it's all over by 6 or 7 o'clock. I'm happy that the Thais enjoy it though and have as much fun as possible.

On the 14th there's one or two kids at the side of the road in the morning but the give up by midday.

I pity the people that live in places like Chiang Mai, go out and get wet repeat infinitum.

darn I feel sorry for you and your wife.. Even I feel the need to pop some antidepressants after reading this... shock1.gif

I hate it, and I've hated it ever since some lunatic, against my pleading, tossed water all over me in Bangkok about 15 years ago, and soaked a camera lens. Water did get into it, and it cost over $50 to have the lenses polished when I arrived home, and I lost the use of the lens whilst I was away. I pleaded with these jerks to at least let me put it safely out of danger but they went on with it. Homicide was but a moment away.

These are the types of scum that deserve a good beating. Sorry but true.

• Like 2

"These are the types of scum that deserve a good beating. Sorry but true."

The ones who threw the water deserve a beating??

$50+ to have the lenses polished 15 years ago is probably closer to $100 now, and it's damned annoying when I asked the fool not to do it, time and again.

• Like 1

An American talking about culture? The closest you guys get to culture is a yoghourt.

America has no culture? It's a popular (in other words, completely unoriginal) idea, but it is truly a colossally stupid thing to say.

No one with any knowledge of literature, cinema, dance, music, painting, photography, sculpture or any number of commonly accepted facets of "culture" would utter such an absurdity.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

SteelJoe I agree. Comments like the one "tolsti" just made is really a stupid statement. They quickly forget that America is a "melting pot"of cultures from almost every country in the world. Not many countries can claim that. If anything we have too much culture! Songkhrang means something special to the Thais just like other countries whose holidays have special meaning to them. And like every holiday, excessive alcohol ruins the celebrations. And yes some Thais don't like it but its theirs not to like.

Isn't it ironic that as the Thais are getting rid of their year long built up resentment at farang , the farang are lapping it all up with a smile on their face. I'm talking about places like Khao San Road and Pattaya where they hate farang but grudging smile (and more) just to get their cash. What a clever idea turning Sonogram into an aggressive festival.

Edited by Johnniey

Isn't it ironic that as the Thais are getting rid of their year long built up resentment at farang , the farang are lapping it all up with a smile on their face. I'm talking about places like Khao San Road and Pattaya where they hate farang.

Maybe we could introduce it to North Korea, so they'll calm down...

• Like 1