Phuket Immigration Warns Of Drive On Foreign Stay Reports

webfact

Phuket immigration warns of drive on foreign stay reports
Nattha Thepbamrung

1364555115_1.jpg
Capt Angkhan Yasanop (foreground) and colleagues visit a small hotel to explain the system – and the law – to front desk staff.

PHUKET: -- The Immigration Police have urged all hotels, resorts, and other accommodation providers, including owners of villas for rent, must begin reporting details of foreigners staying with them by the end of April, or face prosecution.

Capt Angkhan Yasanop confirmed that this includes owners of private homes when they have foreign friends or relatives staying with them, whether they pay for accommodation or not.

“It is the law that the owner of a residence or a hotel manager who has foreign guests staying must report to the local Immigration Office within 24 hours. It is also Royal Thai Police policy to enforce this,” Capt Angkhan said.

“We are trying to publicise this before we begin doing random checks.

“This campaign will help in locating foreigners in Phuket. At the moment, whenever we have to contact them [for example missing person cases] it is hard to find them, so this will be useful.

“Also, it is convenient for everyone – the owner or manager, the Immigration Police and other relevant departments – to check the basic information on each foreigner visiting the island. If someone is living here illegally or has a criminal record, we can find out more easily.”

The random-check team, led by Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, will start checking accommodation from the end of next month. If they find owners or managers breaking the law, “they will prosecute strictly”, Capt Angkhan said.

Owners or managers can report in three ways: By going to the Phuket Immigration Office on Phuket Rd, Phuket Town (near Saphan Hin), by mail to the Immigration office at 482 Phuket Rd, Tambon Talad Yai, Muang, Phuket 83000; or by making an online (for businesses only).

Note that for online reports, the owner or manager, must first register by going to the Immigration Office. Only then will a user name and password be issued for making online reports. Details of this process may be seen by visiting the Immigration website and clicking on “Notification of residence for foreigners”.

The penalty for failing to report is B8,000 per guest per day.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-warns-of-drive-on-foreign-stay-reports-38280.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-03-30

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We hear fairly regularly that immigration intends to enforce the long existing law on foreigner visitor registration in hotels etc.

I think it would be a deterrent for some undesirables - assuming their passport is genuine and backhanders do not get passed around to not register the visitor.

Equally, let's hope that immigration do not also accept a brown envelope to bypass any of the targeted establishments.

However, how many hotels, etc. are there in Phuket, and does the immigration department have enough staff to check every place?

Questions, questions, questions.

Edited by arthurboy

I will post here as well.thumbsup.gif

Well if your friend is staying at your home and stated it on his TM6 arrival card, I would be letting Immigration know he was there. As they say it is up to the owner of the residence to notify Immigration of the visitor. Me thinks it's an easy way for them to get Bt8000 per person per day. You have been warned. blink.png

• Like 2

so if my mum visit me and stay at my house I have to contact the immigration for that ? For hotel its normal I guess that is why we fill up this form on arrival .... Reminds me when you travel to Moscow , they keep your passport one hour for registration ...

so if my mum visit me and stay at my house I have to contact the immigration for that ? For hotel its normal I guess that is why we fill up this form on arrival .... Reminds me when you travel to Moscow , they keep your passport one hour for registration ...

Yes you have to report that they are staying with you.

This is what is stated in the first couple of lines in the article.

Capt Angkhan Yasanop confirmed that this includes owners of private homes when they have foreign friends or relatives staying with them, whether they pay for accommodation or not.

Now we talk numbers biggrin.png
8,000 is finally something that hurts. Once immigration started checking and collecting the information will spread like fire. Things will change. Well, at least for some time.

I only wish they would ask such an amount for other things as well: jumping a red light, parking in third lane, burning... you name it.

• Like 2

If you own the house apparently.

When you go for your annual 1 yer renewal for retirement you need to have the owner of the property or your spouse with you or a contract. I assume that this is in replacement to reporting. Personally i think it is a good idea this way they can attempt to make sure people that are a hardship are not here screwing things up for the rest of us

• Like 1

Glad my gf doesn't live in Phuket! This would be an incredible hassle every time I go up to spend time with her for a few days. Typically don't stay in a single place either. Sometimes at her parents house, some time in her room at her shop, some time at her grandparents house, some times at her friends' house... some times even on the farm! Would have to register all of these places? Insane...

• Like 2

If you own the house apparently.

Which of course, you don't. Even if you like to think that you do!

Glad my gf doesn't live in Phuket! This would be an incredible hassle every time I go up to spend time with her for a few days. Typically don't stay in a single place either. Sometimes at her parents house, some time in her room at her shop, some time at her grandparents house, some times at her friends' house... some times even on the farm! Would have to register all of these places? Insane...

Of course this is the law throughout Thailand and not just Phuket.

The Phuket Immigration are simply taking the time to inform hotel staff of the existing law.

So if you rent a house and relatives come to stay with you what is the requirement there?

Why is this topic causing so much confusion. If you rent the house you ARE NOT the owner, so it's not your responsibility to tell immigration of the foreigner staying there.. it's the responsibility of the OWNER.

Even if you rent, lease or have an usufruct you are still not the legal owner.

The law applies to all Thailand.

It's not you that have to report it's your gf, parents and grandparents that has to report.

If far away from Immigrations office the report can me made at local police station within 24 hours of you arriving.

So if you rent a house and relatives come to stay with you what is the requirement there?

Why is this topic causing so much confusion. If you rent the house you ARE NOT the owner, so it's not your responsibility to tell immigration of the foreigner staying there.. it's the responsibility of the OWNER.

No, as head of the household it's your responsibility.

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

In person at the respective office, or

Through an authorised person at the respective office, or

By registered mail, or

Via internet.

• Like 1

I would guess that at present a very small percentage of small hotels/guesthouses do report their guests to immigration. They could be in for a shock if even half of these start to comply with the law.

A short time ago Bangkok immigration said the same and also stated that the need for compliance would go nationwide so it's no surprise.

Anyone here do it? Online or with paper? How much hassle is it?

• Like 1

It sounds like any foreigner staying anywhere has to be reported. As one person said, perhaps your relatives putting it on their entry form ought to cover it, or give them a heads up as to an 8k/day packet of "tea money" coming a cop's friend's way.

As is almost always the case in Thailand there are dozens of grey areas left to the individuals interpritation hence the question.. For example even if you buy the place you are NOT the owner as you would be in your home country.

Okay lets take this one step further...

If you are living in Thailand, does this concern to Everyone?

You have retirement Visa...

You report every 90 Days at Immigration...

You are living in your Family Home...

Does your wife have to report you are living here? Would you not normally living in same house as your Spouse? This is already reported every 90 days on form submitted each time at Immigration...

Our is this another way to have some Official pocket 8,000 Baht?

• Like 1

*scratches head*

so... if someone owns a house through the company route... does he, as the company director, have to report himself to immigration?

"House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

As head of household, yes.