Don't Live In Thai Anymore, Can I Still Apply For A Driverlicense ?

rubberduck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does vary from office to office, but it's true that whatever paperwork they require is easily obtained, and in some cases you may find it possible to have a given requirement waived in exchange for other bits of coloured paper.

Cuz I'm visiting Thai frequently and drivinglicense is good to avoid racistic double pricing at temples and parks. I hate quarrels with brainwashed rip-off assho1es.

Send from Thai Visa app on my modified Nokia 3310

Cuz I'm visiting Thai frequently and drivinglicense is good to avoid racistic double pricing at temples and parks. I hate quarrels with brainwashed rip-off assho1es.

Get one when you visit, it only takes one morning.

• Like 1

Don't you think that locals, who pay tax, are entitled to a discount? Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Don't you think that locals, who pay tax, are entitled to a discount?

Ah, the six of one half a dozen of the other argument... Given that at most of the double priced attractions, Thais are the main customers, I'd say it is NOT a discount, but an attempt to gouge visitors, which they like to call "guests" (though I can't recall being charged double when I was someone's guest)...

Whether or not someone pays taxes has no bearing on the prices set by a private enterprise... it's funny how it has never been pursued in court, nor even acknowledged in the media (including Thaivisa), but it is illegal under the constitution to discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, religion, etc... (except for the purposes of labour and immigration rules, for obvious reasons). And yet, no matter how many times I post the quote from the constitution that proves this, the same argument goes around in circles, and nobody else ever picks up on the legal argument...

• Like 2

Actually you have to go to your embassy and swear an affadavit that you are living here in Thailand and have an address, also you need to go get a medical report, as I had to do this last month when I renewed my licensee

So the OP no longer qualifies for a UK license. Too many points? Suspended? Banned?

And the OP has left Thailand for Cambodia where everything is easier... except driving licenses (obviously) but misses the Thai temples and national parks sooooo much....?

• Like 1

Ah, the six of one half a dozen of the other argument... Given that at most of the double priced attractions, Thais are the main customers, I'd say it is NOT a discount, but an attempt to gouge visitors, which they like to call "guests" (though I can't recall being charged double when I was someone's guest)...

Whether or not someone pays taxes has no bearing on the prices set by a private enterprise... it's funny how it has never been pursued in court, nor even acknowledged in the media (including Thaivisa), but it is illegal under the constitution to discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, religion, etc... (except for the purposes of labour and immigration rules, for obvious reasons). And yet, no matter how many times I post the quote from the constitution that proves this, the same argument goes around in circles, and nobody else ever picks up on the legal argument...

So one assumes you have retained a lawyer and intend taking this to the Thai courts then to fight for farang rights, maybe you can form an action group "Farangs against double pricing" and picket parliment, or maybe chain yourself to a railing at the gate of national park which undertakes this practise in protest ?....

No ?.....stop bleating then

So the OP no longer qualifies for a UK license. Too many points? Suspended? Banned?

And the OP has left Thailand for Cambodia where everything is easier... except driving licenses (obviously) but misses the Thai temples and national parks sooooo much....?

At least he is attempted to get a license should he decide to drive...unlike large numbers of farangs who live here full timeand cant be bothered and do get behind the wheel of a car..tongue.png

Edited by Soutpeel

A UK license is no good for driving here.

actually it is for a period time, but after which you are suppose to be on a Thai one..certainly if you claim "residency" in Thailand

At least he is attempted to get a license should he decide to drive...unlike large numbers of farangs who live here full timeand cant be bothered and do get behind the wheel of a car..:P

I am guilty of can't be arsed getting a DL I also don't pay the fines,ex Tgf,takes care of them for me,something about her uncle being the man at the local constabulary.

At least he is attempted to get a license should he decide to drive...unlike large numbers of farangs who live here full timeand cant be bothered and do get behind the wheel of a car..:PI am guilty of can't be arsed getting a DL I also don't pay the fines,ex Tgf,takes care of them for me,something about her uncle being the man at the local constabulary.

You better pray you dont have a serious accident.

Edited by Johnniey

what a bunch of bitter <deleted> posters on here can be.

This is nothing...everyone is being well behaved for the most part...wait till a hang em high thread starts....then you will really see the self righteous, judgmental b*st*rds come out to play

actually it is for a period time, but after which you are suppose to be on a Thai one..certainly if you claim "residency" in Thailand

3 months I think

3 months I think

And your insurance will NOT pay.

Imagine if you kill someone.

Only for places, like National Parks, that taxes pay for.

Not for places, like Safari World, that isn't funded by the government and where it's purely to profiteer on tourists.

Only for places, like National Parks, that taxes pay for.

Not for places, like Safari World, that isn't funded by the government and where it's purely to profiteer on tourists.

You mean like Disney World giving Florida residents a discount and many other countries offering locals discounts?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

They are making a huge profit from tourists!

Edited by Neeranam

Sure someone already mentioned but if you drive in Thailand you are required to have "international licence", which is hardly checked and the one I got was not in Thai language anyway. Most of the time if you have a driver licence from your own country it's "good enough".

To qualify for a Thai driver licence you have to have a visa for more than 3 months, however, there are other ways (as others have noted). In Phuket you need a residence (rental contract, home owner...) and a medical certificate (joke). If you have your international licence you won't need to take the tests, other than the reaction and eye tests.

Johnniey, on 01 Apr 2013 - 10:05, said:

Mudcrab, on 01 Apr 2013 - 09:59, said:

3 months I think

And your insurance will NOT pay.

Imagine if you kill someone.

Who says insurance will not pay? I have never had a Thai license(lived in Thailand 13 years). Easier to get my international DL every year when I go home for Christmas. I have had a few minor scraps with my car, fixed no problem. I had one major accident and again no issue (car is in my GF's name). The insurance company came to the accident, asked me who owned the car, told them. Gave them a copy of my international DL and they towed the car, repaired it with no issues at all. Police were great, no ticket no issues at all. However you do need to have good insurance one that it's covered with anyone driving it, not the cheap cheap insurance.

In CM you can get the license with a tourist visa. But you need to have proof of address (normally a letter from your landlord, which you take to immigration to get the document which costs 500 baht). There's some other requirements which I don't remember but there's several sites which list the requirements just google it. You don't need a photo as they take it onsite. It took me half a day, about six months ago. Good service, English forms, no trouble.

Actually you have to go to your embassy and swear an affadavit that you are living here in Thailand and have an address, also you need to go get a medical report, as I had to do this last month when I renewed my licensee

When did they start making you go to your Embassy and get a sworn document that you live here? Your landlord can give you a letter of residence that Immigration accepts.

When did they start making you go to your Embassy and get a sworn document that you live here? Your landlord can give you a letter of residence that Immigration accepts.

-

The topic isn't what the Immigration people want but getting a DL, which requirements are even more up to the local officials than the former department.

But in the end it's all "up to them", each official's requirements can be different sometimes even within the same office, and rarely will arguing with them be worth the time and energy as opposed to simply complying, or even offering the facilitation fee that's most likely being angled for. . .