Where Do All Those Dead Butterflies Come From ?

rubberduck

On many markets they sell dead butterflies in a frame. I wonder where do they come from ? In nature I never saw this beautiful ones. Are there 'farms' where they can breed hundreds of different types, in this huge amounts, and where are they ?

Send from Thai Visa app on my Nokia 3310

IMO they do make for elegant house decoration, no problem as long as they aren't catering to serious collectors with endangered species.

I suspect that poor people in remote upcountry areas with access to wilderness areas go out hunting specimens and then sell them to specialized buyers that have established relationships with these suppliers and periodically swing through the area.

Lots of industries work that way here, use your imagination.

It's also possible that some species lend themselves to backyard farming, but I suspect there isn't enough of a demand to support the level of effort required for that.

Of course it could be a sideline of the already-established "butterfly zoos" set up for tourists.

Edited by FunFon

They have butterfly farms where they breed in huge numbers them and export them all over the world.

-

Learn something new every day. . .

@Funfon, you seem to know a lot. So i ask you are there farms that specialize in breeding those extreme large and mostrouos species of which some are being used for decorative pusposes?

It's also possible that some species lend themselves to backyard farming, but I suspect there isn't enough of a demand to support the level of effort required for that.

Nice of those species to 'lend themselves' ..bizarre phrase..but not altogether repulsive, which describes any sort of modern taxidermy.
  • Like 1

They all come from butterfly farms. There's one in the Mae Sa Valley (Chiangmai), I think, and one in Singapore that I know of. Otherwise the people who put up these decorative displays would not be able to get so many perfect specimens.

Nice of those species to 'lend themselves' ..bizarre phrase..but not altogether repulsive, which describes any sort of modern taxidermy.
-

Nothing specific to the topic - "lends itself to" is a standard English idiomatic phrase, meaning something is suitable for, can be adapted to.

"This commentary lends itself to several different interpretations."

"This property lends itself to a variety of uses."

-

Also, I don't think "taxidermy" is used much in connection with insects, that has more to do with reconstructing higher-level animals, removing the flesh, structuring the skin over the bones etc. Apparently the term is lepidopterology for butterflies.

Edited by FunFon

-

They have butterfly farms where they breed in huge numbers them and export them all over the world.

-

@Funfon, you seem to know a lot. So i ask you are there farms that specialize in breeding those extreme large and mostrouos species of which some are being used for decorative pusposes?

-

I don't know anything about this particular topic, which is why I commented as I did, but like you, would like to learn more, imagine being a butterfly farmer by trade. laugh.png

-

You can learn to contribute instead of speculating.coffee1.gif

http://www.top20sites.com/Top-Framed-Butterflies-Sites

First of all: to me it seems it is not illegal, though i thought it was.

Yeah like the framed scorpions, spiders and beetles.

More so, who buys em?

Indeed. I do not know of any strange insect collectors.

-

Nothing specific to the topic - "lends itself to" is a standard English idiomatic phrase, meaning something is suitable for, can be adapted to.

"This commentary lends itself to several different interpretations."

"This property lends itself to a variety of uses."

-

Also, I don't think "taxidermy" is used much in connection with insects, that has more to do with reconstructing higher-level animals, removing the flesh, structuring the skin over the bones etc. Apparently the term is lepidopterology for butterflies.

Yes I am aware of the phrase and its connotations, just never heard it in connection to http://m.pinterest.com/marisolfarda/insect-taxidermy/

before smile.png

• Like 2