Why So Few Russians In Cm?

Thighlander

Why do you care where they are?

What do you own a mini mart with too much cheap beer on hand, and no lazy Russians to buy it. Well for me I'm glad they are gone maybe he locals can make some money now. I'm sure the Cyprus banking scam is taking all there hardly earned money.

Thailand is much better off w/o Russian tourist's. Come back our Northern European friends. Hello old friend, long time no see.

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After 11 years of living in Phuket I am now seriously thinking to move myself and my small IT services company to CM. Being a Russian, I kind of had enough of Russian tourists here in Phuket. I realized I will happily swap the nice beach for mountains, friendly people and great food in the North.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What do you own a mini mart with too much cheap beer on hand, and no lazy Russians to buy it. Well for me I'm glad they are gone maybe he locals can make some money now. I'm sure the Cyprus banking scam is taking all there hardly earned money.

Thailand is much better off w/o Russian tourist's. Come back our Northern European friends. Hello old friend, long time no see.

rather amusing... but yes what happened to all the northern Europeans? when I first came to Thailand many years ago every other falang I met was from Sweden or Denmark or Finland. now...well... i'll be cheeky here and say that I don't care too much for the Russians being in Thailand either. seeing them in Phuket one would think they never bothered to study a little about the customs here before coming. yes, i too miss meeting all those nice northern Europeans. i always had nice friendships with them. things have really changed.

rather amusing... but yes what happened to all the northern Europeans? when I first came to Thailand many years ago every other falang I met was from Sweden or Denmark or Finland. now...well... i'll be cheeky here and say that I don't care too much for the Russians being in Thailand either. seeing them in Phuket one would think they never bothered to study a little about the customs here before coming. yes, i too miss meeting all those nice northern Europeans. i always had nice friendships with them. things have really changed.

The Swedes,Finns, Danish etc are all in Hua Hin Easy to spot, all wearing socks with their sandals smile.png Check the price of condos down there and guess who the majority of buyers are

The Swedes,Finns, Danish etc are all in Hua Hin Easy to spot, all wearing socks with their sandals smile.png Check the price of condos down there and guess who the majority of buyers are

oh that's where they are hiding. i just got back from Hua Hin 2 days ago but didn't see any Scandinavians while i was there. must have been in all the wrong places. biggrin.png what i did see was many very wealthy Thais, quite a few Brits (easy to spot by the bad teeth), and dare i say a number of Russians too. but they were the well-heeled variety, polite and well mannered. i did notice some condos being built on PetKasem near the mall for 1.9 million THB but when reading the small print, they are only 30 square meters, about the size of one of my bathrooms in C.M.

I was browsing on Google Earth a year or so back, and noticed a few blocks of land along Huay Keow Rd, marked on the site in Russian.

One block now has a 9 story condo nearing completion, another nearby has been cleared.

Curious.

I think there are some Russians in CM but not so visible with businesses.

I know a few Russians who are programmers and living low key. Talented programmers too.

It's not like Russians are wearing windbreakers with KGB in big letters and toting bottles of Vodka.

As far as the mafia impact. It might be good for getting the Thai mafia off its butt and providing some better goods and services.

Competition can be good. What are peoples viewpoints on the impact of Russian businesses in other parts of Thailand?

Plenty of northern Europeans in Chiang Mai. Just met a Finnish guy staying for 2.5 months studying Thai boxing, met a heap of Dutch people, some Belgians and OK they're not from northern Europe but 3 Portuguese travellers. So...still plenty of Europeans in Chiang Mai, especially northern Europeans. BUT at the same time, huge numbers of Chinese, you see them everywhere especially at Chiang Mai University riding bicycles and taking pictures of the entrances...god knows why, it's just a university people! Haven't seen any western tourists do the Chiang Mai University photography tour yet...maybe it'll catch on soon though, you never know.

Plenty of northern Europeans in Chiang Mai. Just met a Finnish guy staying for 2.5 months studying Thai boxing, met a heap of Dutch people, some Belgians and OK they're not from northern Europe but 3 Portuguese travellers. So...still plenty of Europeans in Chiang Mai, especially northern Europeans. BUT at the same time, huge numbers of Chinese, you see them everywhere especially at Chiang Mai University riding bicycles and taking pictures of the entrances...god knows why, it's just a university people! Haven't seen any western tourists do the Chiang Mai University photography tour yet...maybe it'll catch on soon though, you never know.

The Chinese are big 'bicycle tourists'. No complaints there. Less people polluting the air. Saw about 200 of them the other day (all with umbrellas) taking photos of the Mae Ping River. Not that exciting either one would think. Who knows...

Quite possible it is students or family of students. There are many many Chinese looking Thais, who speak Mandarin at home and Thai when out. Wifey is one, her father actually born in China. Wifey has Chinese surname on Thai ID card with Thai given name. Close friends only refer to her by Chinese given name. Lots of her friends only talk to each other in Mandarin,also lots of Burmese around Chiang Dao in the same boat. Chedi Luang has many student monks from further North same deal. Dare I say that most are affluent, lighter skinned......same as a CMU graduate called Yingluck

Also lots of Malaysian Chinese come up on the CMX/KL flight.....again wifey working with tour groups this Chinese New Year. Quite a few also drawn through the recent Chinese film 'Lost in Thailand" that featured CM.

Not all Chinese are from China.

Why so few Russians.....not enough empty condos for them smile.png

Edited by mamborobert

Quite possible it is students or family of students. There are many many Chinese looking Thais, who speak Mandarin at home and Thai when out. Wifey is one, her father actually born in China. Wifey has Chinese surname on Thai ID card with Thai given name. Close friends only refer to her by Chinese given name. Lots of her friends only talk to each other in Mandarin,also lots of Burmese around Chiang Dao in the same boat. Chedi Luang has many student monks from further North same deal. Dare I say that most are affluent, lighter skinned......same as a CMU graduate called Yingluck

Also lots of Malaysian Chinese come up on the CMX/KL flight.....again wifey working with tour groups this Chinese New Year. Quite a few also drawn through the recent Chinese film 'Lost in Thailand" that featured CM.

Not all Chinese are from China.

Why so few Russians.....not enough empty condos for them smile.png

Actually I can tell the difference between local ethnic Chinese (most of whom are actually of mixed ethnicity) and Chinese Chinese from the mainland. Didn't know there were many Chinese Thais remaining with Chinese names and who could still speak Chinese (apart from those starting to learn Chinese to re-engage with China). I know that there are plenty of Chinese from Yunnan who are visiting Chiang Mai because of the recent film as you say. Not surprised that most Burmese would still speak only (or mostly only) Burmese, in Mae Sot everything is bilingual and there are even Burmese living in Mae Sot who can't speak any Thai, but luckily, do speak some English!

actually, the proper question isnt why are there so few russians in cm. its rather, why are there so many russians in pattaya. perhaps the answer to that would solve your question on why are there few russians here in contrast to other places

Edited by barefoot1988
  • Like 1

I saw this mentioned in another thread. Are you sure this is a Russian place? I think it may be a Slovak owned business. Having spent years traveling in Slovakia I can tell you without a doubt that they would not be happy being advertised as "Russian". If it is in fact Slovak then the food should be very good. Slovak cuisine is not at all like Czech cuisine which is quite bland and boring. Slovak cuisine depending on the region, can be gourmet European food.

Any way the website is now on-line (Slovak server). I'm going to head over there and check it out.

Hope they only like the beach area and can't imagine in a million years why anyone would go to Thailand to see culture and less beaches

An Anthropologist or sex fiend also the drugs are easy to get here.

Pattaya has many tourists and you do not find most of them on the beach.

Hope they only like the beach area and can't imagine in a million years why anyone would go to Thailand to see culture and less beaches

I hear the voice of experience talking.thumbsup.gif

I hear the voice of experience talking.thumbsup.gif

Wishful thinking. On both are sides.smile.png