Learn To Ride A Big Bike.

Agreed, that Robinpattaya provided some good advice,

but for anyone to simply dismiss the importance of countersteering to properly

control a motorcycle, is either a naive rookie rider or a fool.

It's the terminology. It confused the hell out of me. I've been riding small bikes and scooters since arriving in Thailand 10 + years ago, having never ridden anything other than a pushbike before, and I've spent the last couple of days pushing on my handlebars to see what he was talking about. In short it seems to me that that anyone who rides a bike, big or small, "counter-steers" (as he insists on putting it) instinctively. You don't learn it you just do it, try turning the handlebars at anything more than a snails pace and you'll be off in a heartbeat. It's what most people would refer to as leaning the bike into a turn, just the same, you want to ease to the right you put a little weight into your right arm, which effectively is the "counter-steer" to the left.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

if you have ridden a bicycle when young you will already have learned the concept of counter steer - it will come natural and is essential for throwing a large heavy MB around, as I'm sure you realise - big bikes don't steer like small bikes - they lean into corners and using the counter steer allows you to lean easily and effortlessly, it is also handy if you need to avoid something on the road in front real fast (like a pot hole) also the faster you go the more a big bike will try to stay upright - this is generally due to the gyro/centrifugal effect the wheels have when rotating.

counter steer was not something I was taught - I realised I already did it naturally after someone tried to explain the concept - and I got it from my young bicycle years

As for what to start on - that really depends on you and your driving ability - road sense - age - physical fitness etc - I have friends that I've seen driving cars and I would very strongly argue against them ever owning a big bike.

If you feel it's something you would be capable of and your road sense and discipline is high then go for it - depending on you a 250cc could be a good entry level bike or even a 650 - the latter would require a certain amount of common sense and high level of discipline not to ride beyond your means, Kawasaki versye is an easy bike to ride but equally demands a high level of respect, you should also consider hooking up with other people with bikes and similar interests that will help you as you learn

• Like 2

Some great tips there Neversure.thumbsup.gif

@ ROBINPATTAYA.Welcome to the world of big bike riding.

I have been in the saddle for almost 30 years now and had many accidents when I was learning and the scars to prove it (99% my own fault whistling.gif )

If you are planning on getting a big bike then a good instructor is the best start (I learned by myself and from my friends.....ouch !!!!)

Also what might be a good idea is to have your first big bike fitted with fall bars,they may look a bit unsightly but they can save your legs from getting bent,broke or skinned.

Also learning what gear you are in when braking is important,learning how to brake and 'change down' at the same time can also save you .......it's ok learning how to stop in a hurry but if you can accelerate away after you have stopped this can help you avoid being 'rear ended'.

Mirrors are your best friend....learn to use them without thinking know what is behind you,at the side of you and most important what is in front of you.You need to own the road that you are riding,always try and put yourself in your own safety zone......if there is nothing near you then it is one less hazard.

Foresight......know where you are on the road,what the road surface is,where the other road users are,what the next corner is,animals at the side of the road.so many things to take into account,but this all becomes second nature after a while.

Do you have any thoughts on what bike you would like to ride? Cruiser,Sports.....

You are entering into a world of fun and I hope you enjoy and stay safe.

Shaggy

P.s.......one more tip......keep the rubber side down !!!!!! wai.gif

I ws originally looking at the Versys 650 but believe there is a slight problem with a high seat configuration.

The other option was a Suzuki V Storm 650.

Read write ups on both & they seem similiar in most areas.

I would like a cruizer bike but they all seem to be much larger than I was looking for.

I would prefer a used bike incase the novelty wears off after a while, I am in no real hurry to get a bike either,

Cheers

All comments & suggestions welcome

I had a Versys 650 in the past, excellent on the open road, in Pattaya or Bangkok in traffic absolutely horrible, Ninja or ER much better. To tall, to big. The taller the bike the harder to maneuver in traffic, the lower the bike, scooters, sport bikes, cruisers, much easier, your center of gravity is lower. I have a CBR500r now, little sport bike, plenty of power for me and good on the open road - drive to and from Bangkok many times, in traffic also very good but will never be as good as a scooter in heavy traffic. Still scooters pass me all the time, I let them and don't care as they are usually driving like idiots anyway. Nice thing about a smaller lower bike is that it is easy to park, easy to handle, definitely cost less.

Get, download or steal Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II - everything you need to know about cornering a big bike - the art of cornering well is one of the most important parts of riding any bike. And make sure your tires are good!

Basics - counter steer, look to the spot you are going to - look through the corner if needs be, do lean into the corner and shift your weight over - this will help the bike turn quicker and your weight won't unbalance the bike, have the right speed going into the corner - I always feel for a speed that is comfortable for me going into the corner and if needs be I can pull the bike back upright if there is trouble, as you enter the corner start applying the throttle and smooth action all the way through the corner (twist of the wrist!) - and don't brake! With the right throttle action you can come out of the corner at a fast speed onto the straight.

If riding a Harley - ignore all the above - get off the bike and push it around the corner LOL ;)

• Like 1

Get, download or steal Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II - everything you need to know about cornering a big bike - the art of cornering well is one of the most important parts of riding any bike. And make sure your tires are good!

Basics - counter steer, look to the spot you are going to - look through the corner if needs be, do lean into the corner and shift your weight over - this will help the bike turn quicker and your weight won't unbalance the bike, have the right speed going into the corner - I always feel for a speed that is comfortable for me going into the corner and if needs be I can pull the bike back upright if there is trouble, as you enter the corner start applying the throttle and smooth action all the way through the corner (twist of the wrist!) - and don't brake! With the right throttle action you can come out of the corner at a fast speed onto the straight.

If riding a Harley - ignore all the above - get off the bike and push it around the corner LOL wink.png

Not neccessarily restricted to the corners biggrin.png

• Like 1

After years of riding scooters I just picked up a 650 Ninja, love it. Glad I have seat time in smaller bikes with real clutches (sonics etc)

But I had spent the last year looking and looking for a Cb400-750 or Virago etc etc to make a cafe racer, found nothing (that I liked) and got the ninja.

What I should have done is dropped the 80k on a used CBR250 and really honed some skills and then sold that for the 650, the 125-150cc skills transfer to the 650, but I think riding a 250 for a year would have really solidified my skills.

All I have to say is ATGATT!

Funny say that and how I suit up on a big bike, but wear sandals, shorts, and a tshirt and helmet at 100kph on a honda dream....

Im a big believer in going through a longer learning curve, 125cc > 250cc > 400cc and so on, but, I think that has a lot to do with the rider in question. I have a buddy who went from a scooter straight to an er6n (despite my constant advice) with no previous geared bike experience let alone big bike experience, he was 39 and sensible, took his time and turned out to be a really competent rider in all conditions within a few months, so if you've got a wise head, plan and enjoy! but, put an er6n in the hands of a 17 year old and its a recipe for disaster more often than not. It would be good if all big bikes in thailand were sold with a safety/training course as the drivers licence doesn't test you for bigger bikes.

• Like 1

big bikes are much more safe and stable to ride, as long as you know your limits and your bikes limits....

Bigger bikes, like 400cc up, have advantages:

- have much better brakes, and even ABS.

- are heavier and less like to fall from a pot hole on shitty thai roads

- more acceleration to get out of dangerous situations

- bigger tires for better braking and stability

- better lights and louder sound... yes, sound matters.

believe or not, car drivers may not see you, but they can hear you.

most important about big bikes are the Bigger tires and better brakes.

After all, you MUST know your limits and your bike limits, learn your bike, get used to it, try to push it to the limits on a empty road or racing tracks... but be careful.

also, as far as I know, most new bikes in thailand are restricted in Speed and RPM. specially Honda.

for example the new CB500 trio, they all have RPM limit. you cant go over the red line all the way, from what I heard from a friend that has one.

unrestricted bikes only second hand, more like yamaha, kawa, and suzukies smile.png

anyone correct me if im wrong.

Edited by brfsa2

also, as far as I know, most new bikes in thailand are restricted in Speed and RPM. specially Honda.

for example the new CB500 trio, they all have RPM limit. you cant go over the red line all the way, from what I heard from a friend that has one.

unrestricted bikes only second hand, more like yamaha, kawa, and suzukies smile.png

anyone correct me if im wrong.

Redline on the Honda 500 series is around 8600-8700 RPM, limiter kicks in at around 9200-9400 RPM... Same as just about any other modern bike with an RPM limiter / Redline limiter whatever you want to call it; you can go past the labeled redline on the tach but it limites your ability to over rev the engine to the point of damaging it. Other bikes may have a higher RPM before they hit redline, even the super bikes have different limits due to engine design.

This thread is about learning to ride big bikes though smile.png....

Edited by commande

If your ever back in oz, I would suggest take a riding course there like Q-ride in Queensland (I did it on the Gold Coast) These guys have been riding for years and are a wealth of information (countersteering, road position, emegency stopping, etc, etc, etc) can bring your own bike or rent from them.

Are you scooter brigade guys talking about the same Pattaya where I live? I have ridden scooters and big bikes here and there is virtually no diference in terms of manoeuvrabilty or pushing through heavy traffic. The only difference is that when I'm on a scooter I feel like I'm riding a kitchen stool with no protection around me and little visability to others. At least on a bigger bike I havesome road presence and people can see and hear me coming and that's a good thing on a busy Pattaya road.