Phuket Russian Teen Students Still In I C U After Motorcyclist Crash

webfact

Phuket Russian teen students still in ICU after motorcyclist crash
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Two Russian students from Phuket’s British International School are tonight still in the intensive care unit (ICU) at Phuket International Hospital after being involved in a horrific motorbike accident on the bypass road yesterday.

Staff at the hospital declined to give details of the students’ condition, but did confirm that both Vlabislan Adrashko and Sevastan Lukashov were still under observation in the hospital’s ICU.

Police are waiting for the two teens to be well enough to question after the accident involving their Honda big bike and a car near Index Living Mall on Saturday.

“At about 1pm on March 30, Ms.Wannakij Maneerat, 39, was driving her car southbound from Lotus on Chalerm Prakiat Road [the bypass road]. She slowed to turn right at the u-turn leading into Soi Bang Yai [map here],” said Wichit Police Sub Lt Somboon Malai.

“As she was turning right, a big bike was heading north from Big C and the two collided. The impact sent the motorcycle 30 meters into a nearby Sino-Portuguese building, where it burst into flames, destroying the bike and damaging the building,” he said.

When police arrived at the scene they found Vlabislan Adrashko, 15, and Sevastan Lukashov, 16, unconscious about 50 meters from the crash site. Mr Adrashko’s right leg was broken and he had a wound on his right knee. Mr Lukashov had also injured his right knee and was bleeding from both ears.

They were taken to nearby Phuket International Hospital.

The front of Ms Wannakij’s Honda was extensively damaged, and both front airbags had detonated.

“We suggest that the car passed in front of the bike,” Lt Somboon said.

“Ms Wannakij’s insurance will pay the hospital bills and also cover the damage to the Sino-Portuguese building” Lt Somboon said.

“Both of the youths are now recovering at the Phuket International hospital. We will question them when they are better, and will then start negotiations with Mrs Wannakij,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Russian-teen-students-still-in-ICU-after-motorcyclist-crash-20663.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-02

those U turn are very very dangerous ...so many accidents at U turns .... not to mention AGAIN and one more time a total lack in driving skills ... but I guess those teens also were driving fast , thought it was forbidden to rent motorbike for teens ?

• Like 1

15 & 16 yrs old, what is the legal age of riding a "big bike" in Thailand? Really hope these two make a full and speedy recovery.

It was a Honda CBR250; not a scooter/Fino/Wave etc - a 'big bike'

Pic of burnt out bike here

Edited by cycloneJ

We tend to see what we are expecting to see. For some reason, the world over, car and truck drivers seem to see right through a motorcycle. They just don't see it.

I don't have a clue what happened here, I just know that's true.

• Like 1

15 & 16 yrs old, what is the legal age of riding a "big bike" in Thailand? Really hope these two make a full and speedy recovery.

18 if in possession of a DL of course.

They are expats living on Phuket BTW, so they (or their parents) really should have known better.

Phuket British school issues statement over Russian motorbike crash victims
Phuket Gazette

s.jpg
An aerial view of British International School – Phuket. Photo: BIS - Phuket

PHUKET: -- The British International School – Phuket (BIS), this morning issued a statement concerning the two teenage Russian students who are in hospital after a serious motorbike crash on the bypass road on Saturday (story here).

Neil Richards MBE, headmaster at the school, wrote in the statement today:

“On Saturday 30 March 2013, two students of Russian nationality, from the British International School Phuket, were involved in a serious accident on the Chalermphakiat bypass road. They were riding a motorbike when the accident happened.

“Both injured boys were taken to the Phuket International Hospital where they are in the Intensive Care Unit.

“To date they both remain under close observation and are receiving treatment. Police are investigating and assessing the cause of the accident, and it is not possible, at this stage, for the school to speculate on the outcome of their deliberations.

“The school is assisting the parents of the boys as much as possible, and the thoughts and best wishes of our entire community are offered to them during this stressful period,” Mr Richards wrote.

Meanwhile, sympathies for the two students have been pouring out on Facebook.

Sasha Podgaetskaya posted, “Pray for Vlad Abrashko and Sevastian Lukashov! They are now in International hospital. Vlad Abrashko broke his leg in 3 places, but he is ok and will get better soon. Sevastian Lukashov is now in coma, he had a 5 hour operation on his head. Especially pray for Sevastian Lukashov!”

Lesya Tyshchenko posted, “That’s horrible. Saw them today and felt so sorry for them. Hope they would get better soon. Praying for them.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-British-school-issues-statement-over-Russian-motorbike-crash-victims-20671.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-02

“We suggest that the car passed in front of the bike,” Lt Somboon said.

“Ms Wannakij’s insurance will pay the hospital bills and also cover the damage to the Sino-Portuguese building” Lt Somboon said.

They might pay for it, but claim the money back, as they had no license. Anyways up to the amount of money paid to the cops.

Hope they get better soon.-wai2.gif

Hope they recover soon.

Neversure - unfortunate but true that motor cycles are sometimes less visible than a car. Example the other day I was driving at 60 km and wanted to stop at a shop, I put on the left turn indicator, checked both mirrors and started to turn. Suddenly a motorcycle came flying past on the dirt next to the road. Fortunately the guy wasn't hurt, but he could have been killed. He was in the blind spot of my car just at the moment I looked in the mirrors. But then again this guy was doing +-100km an hour, didn't maintain the correct following distance, tried to pass on the left hand side / curb of the road, didn't have the head light on, didn't have a helmet on and didn't have a DL. Defensive driving has never been a feature of drivers in Thailand and it seems to rubs off on foreigners.

• Like 1

Hope they recover soon.

Neversure - unfortunate but true that motor cycles are sometimes less visible than a car. Example the other day I was driving at 60 km and wanted to stop at a shop, I put on the left turn indicator, checked both mirrors and started to turn. Suddenly a motorcycle came flying past on the dirt next to the road. Fortunately the guy wasn't hurt, but he could have been killed. He was in the blind spot of my car just at the moment I looked in the mirrors. But then again this guy was doing +-100km an hour, didn't maintain the correct following distance, tried to pass on the left hand side / curb of the road, didn't have the head light on, didn't have a helmet on and didn't have a DL. Defensive driving has never been a feature of drivers in Thailand and it seems to rubs off on foreigners.

lucky no one got hurt , had a similar situation with my car and 5 minutes later bought 2 blindspot mirrors and put em on - on the parking lot , those help allot

We tend to see what we are expecting to see. For some reason, the world over, car and truck drivers seem to see right through a motorcycle. They just don't see it.

The problem here is that they see ok, but they don't give a sheet and pull out anyway.

Happening to me twice in the space of 20 mins driving back down to BKK recently. Both times, as I was approaching cars waiting to come out from the u-turn, I flashed my lights to warn them. They just pulled out into my lane anyway. Frigging reckless to the extreme but typical on the roads here unfortunately. I said to my partner, that if we had been carrying children in the back then I would be stopping those idiots and who knows how that would have then escalated!

There's lots I love about this country but Thais in cars really really test ones limits. Stupid, selfish and reckless to the extreme is too often a common theme here!

• Like 1

I am very sorry to hear of the plight of the two boys, I have a teenage son myself so I can relate to this very well. Unfortunately kids will never learn the true meaning of the term "inertia" and the various associated and painful ramifications until they experience them, but for such an horrific accident to occur, it is simply tragic that they have to endure such a dreadful, and life-threatening experience. I hope they both recover well and put this awful experience to the best use - learn from it. I know it sounds somewhat callous, but life lessons are often so. I do with all my heart hope for the full recovery of both of the boys.

The problem here is that they see ok, but they don't give a sheet and pull out anyway.

Happening to me twice in the space of 20 mins driving back down to BKK recently. Both times, as I was approaching cars waiting to come out from the u-turn, I flashed my lights to warn them. They just pulled out into my lane anyway. Frigging reckless to the extreme but typical on the roads here unfortunately. I said to my partner, that if we had been carrying children in the back then I would be stopping those idiots and who knows how that would have then escalated!

There's lots I love about this country but Thais in cars really really test ones limits. Stupid, selfish and reckless to the extreme is too often a common theme here!

I can totally understand and agree, having driven here for much of the time I have lived here (over 20 years) - but - I am currently consulting in the Philippines, and if you thought Thai drivers were bad - don't even consider going to Manila. No concept, no idea, bad roads - and that just gets your toe in the water.....

Hope they recover soon.

Blind spots can be easily rectified by changing the angle of the mirrors.

The main problem with seeing motorbikes is that our eyes are not trained to see motorbikes but cars. So also if they are directly in our eyesight they can and quite often will be easily overlooked. Light help tremendously to prevent this.

those U turn are very very dangerous ...so many accidents at U turns .... not to mention AGAIN and one more time a total lack in driving skills ... but I guess those teens also were driving fast , thought it was forbidden to rent motorbike for teens ?

Furthermore in Thailand, more than half of the local drivers, tend to need 4-5 lanes in order to make a "proper" U-turn.

It seems to me, and I'm not an expert just some dope who has a civil engineer in his family, that the roads all over Thailand are designed to keep traffic moving constantly, the logic being that it will prevent gridlock. Subscribing to this logic then you get what we see all over Thailand. Idiotic U-turn bridges, divided roads everywhere, and more collateral damage in the form of magnifying bad driving habits (available in all countries) and pollution. Maybe this was unavoidable but... it seems to me a traffic signal could have played a significant role in prevention of this accident, whoever was at fault.

I've seen land surveyors here, but not once have I seen them setting up recording instruments to study traffic density and road use statistics. All the residents expat's and Thai's alike deserve better.

Hope they recover soon.

I think basis principles of riding a motorbike is the issue. They don't learn any driving/riding skills at all. When I'm on my bike, I will stick behind the car or drive right next to it, never in that dangerous just behind the car on the corner. I'm actually more scared of the scooters passing me than the cars. Car's I can see, and you can predict where they are going (in most cases), scooters you can't. They just turn and instantly they cut you off. I was getting peed off today when I went into the city because of all the scooters and their hurry to get somewhere 10 seconds faster.

At 15 and 16 years of age, they drive very well, better than you and I.

They just drive too fast...in a place where people stop just about everywhere, turn just about everywhere, and double-park, just about everywhere....

At 15 and 16 years of age, they drive very well, better than you and I.

They just drive too fast...in a place where people stop just about everywhere, turn just about everywhere, and double-park, just about everywhere....

So you are saying a 15 and 16 year old drive better than an experienced rider of 10 to 20 years riding.BS

Maybe faster because they have no idea more like

• Like 1

Unfortunately somnamna is just what I have to say, parents and teens alike should have more brain. Insurance should not cover the damages as they drove a bike illegally without license and are underage. It should be at the charge of the parents, period.

It will be the car driver's insurance that is paying, if you read the post. Sort of suggests she was at fault.

You have some kind of authority to stop other drivers when they drive below your standards then admonish them? That would be road rage, yeah?

Less people with your attitude are needed on the road

Youths were probably not to blame as the insurance company is paying out, unless of course they want to claim it back. But still in general they will not do such a thing and let the guilty party pay. I am not saying its impossible or never happens but i the paying of the damage on the building at least as a sign of guilt of the car driver.

It is normal of course to pay for the car and try to claim that back from an other party that does happen. Also if the bike was going straight and the car was turning its more likely the fault of the car even if the motorbike drivers were not of legal age.

You have some kind of authority to stop other drivers when they drive below your standards then admonish them? That would be road rage, yeah?

Less people with your attitude are needed on the road

Are you for real? Did you just really post that?

So, I'm driving along a dual carriageway at around 100km/h and have the foresight to warn a motorist that I am approaching (which they can clearly see anyway) and that they should not pull out into oncoming traffic until the way is clear. But, they do so anyway forcing me out into the middle lane, regardless of whether it is occupied or not, and you suggest I'm the one with the problem!

I shouldn't be a little pissed that someone just risked our lives because of their stupidity and selfishness? I consider my loved one lives a bit more valuable than a shrug and a mai pen rai !

Your moral compass is pointing in a very strange direction matey! Road rage because someone recklessly endangered my children's lives - you bloody bet!!

technicly if one is sitting head backwards on the wrong side of the road going straight and get hit or hits another that is making a turn the one making the turn is at fault , same as you are driving in reverse have to let everything pass before you can go on

fact is still that motorbike should never have driven there

same as a drunk driver or one without a licence or proper insurance.