10 Year Multiple Entry Tourist Visa To Usa

Does anyone have experience with this ?

My Thai Spouse has a Multiple Entry (no limit on entries) Tourist Visa for the USA and has already used one entry for 5 1/2 months then returned to Thailand.

Can my spouse stay with me without working in the USA for 6 months (normal time given by US Immigration on arrival with Visa), then leave the States for a day or two for a boarder or another Country and then Return and Enter the USA again for another 6 months ?

We are in the process of applying for a Long Term Marriage Visa, but this process will probably take a couple years.

In the meantime, several factors have made it necessary for me to contemplate leaving Thailand and return to the USA.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of time to be outside of the country between visits, but 1-2 days seems a bit too short, the USA isn't Thailand where you can just exit and re-enter at will. Not only that, she'd have to leave not just the USA but Canada, Mexico and nearby Caribbean islands can't be used - she'd need to travel to South America, Europe or back to Thailand etc. before re-entering.

I think the USA authorities would start to crack down on visitors that spent more time in the country than is considered what they think is "usual" or "normal" for a visitor's visa. It's hard to give an exact amount of time to stay outside the country between visits since I don't think the US government even has a minimum requirement, but if she came back to Thailand for a month and then returned, that should work at least 1-2 more times. However, after a couple of visits, the intervals between coming to the USA might need to become longer, say 2-3 months before re-entering otherwise she may be refused entry. I have heard of cases of this happening - use your discretion.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of time to be outside of the country between visits, but 1-2 days seems a bit too short, the USA isn't Thailand where you can just exit and re-enter at will. Not only that, she'd have to leave not just the USA but Canada, Mexico and nearby Caribbean islands can't be used - she'd need to travel to South America, Europe or back to Thailand etc. before re-entering.

I think the USA authorities would start to crack down on visitors that spent more time in the country than is considered what they think is "usual" or "normal" for a visitor's visa. It's hard to give an exact amount of time to stay outside the country between visits since I don't think the US government even has a minimum requirement, but if she came back to Thailand for a month and then returned, that should work at least 1-2 more times. However, after a couple of visits, the intervals between coming to the USA might need to become longer, say 2-3 months before re-entering otherwise she may be refused entry. I have heard of cases of this happening - use your discretion.

Tom Tom,

I appreciate your input. But you are purely speclating. I also speculate, which does me no good, but I need good real facts and experiences and rules to give me some ideas of which way to go.

I have yet to come across any rules regarding how long a departure from the USA must be.

There may not be any time limit that a Visa holder must be gone from the USA before re-entering.

The US is not thailand and usually all aspects that apply are made abundently clear.

This is why I ask if anyone knows for sure.

And as for Canada, Caribbean, Mexico etc. They are seperate Countries from the USA. So any amount of time in those Countries is also Not counted as being in the USA

As an example: UdonJoe gave me info on extending a Tourist Visa 6 month stay by applying with USCIS (Immigration).

• Like 1

I don't think that are all particular about how a person is outside the country before returning.

A weekend trip to Mexico (wife would need visa) for example would probably be enough.

There are no countries near the US where a Thai can travel without a visa. The nearest are in South America. Info here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/consular-services-20120410-195410-171241.pdf

My previous wife's mother (not Thai) after finally getting her a visitors visa stayed in the the states for 2 years by just getting extensions every 6 months.

Tom Tom,

I appreciate your input. But you are purely speclating. I also speculate, which does me no good, but I need good real facts and experiences and rules to give me some ideas of which way to go.

I have yet to come across any rules regarding how long a departure from the USA must be.

There may not be any time limit that a Visa holder must be gone from the USA before re-entering.

The US is not thailand and usually all aspects that apply are made abundently clear.

And as for Canada, Caribbean, Mexico etc. They are seperate Countries from the USA. So any amount of time in those Countries is also Not counted as being in the USA

As an example: UdonJoe gave me info on extending a Tourist Visa 6 month stay by applying with USCIS (Immigration).

but it will always be speculation because it always up to the discretion of the border officer

and i guarantee you that they would not look kindly on a thai girl staying in the US for 6 months, leaving for a day and coming back for anotherr 6 months

that is not the "spirit" of the visa

she is basically living in the US if she does what you would intend and her visa is not a visa that she can live in the US on

Tom Tom,

but it will always be speculation because it always up to the discretion of the border officer

and i guarantee you that they would not look kindly on a thai girl staying in the US for 6 months, leaving for a day and coming back for anotherr 6 months

that is not the "spirit" of the visa

she is basically living in the US if she does what you would intend and her visa is not a visa that she can live in the US on

Any answer will always be specualtion because her admittance is at the discretion of the border officer

and i gurantee you that they would not look kindly on her leaving the country and coming back a few days later

it is not the "spirit" of the visa

she is there as a visitor and what you propse is her basically living there

they may allow it once( i am skeptical they would)

If it was a short trip out of the states the immigration officer might not even know when she left the county because it might not even show up in the computer record yet. There is no stamp out of the states only turning in the immigration card to the airline when you leave which might take some time before it is entered in the records.

My wife from Costa Rica has 10 year multi entry. She is on he 2nd one now. No limit on how many entries although we never stayed more than a month in USA. Have stayed out of States for as long as three years and no problem. With the multi entry tourist she does not have the same restrictions as a "Green Card". So, I would guess? the two day leave and come back would make no difference on "Tourist Visa".

KikoMax:

I am a U.S.lawyer by profession and have an active law office in Virginia. My suggestion is to do an extension of stay BEFORE the expiration of the 180 days that has been granted at the time of her initial entry into the U.S. If she leaves the US to enter either Canada or Mexico, she will need a Visa to either country and there is a possibility that she can be refused admittance at the point of entry with the CPB Officer cancelling her visa. I have seen this happen and it becomes a major problem for future entries. The worst that would happen if she is denied her request for extension of stay is that she will have to return to Thailand but her multiple entry visa will not be affected. She will be authorized to stay in the US while her application is pending so long as USCIS received her application prior to the expiration of her authorized stay. I suggest using the services of an immigration lawyer. I am not trolling for additional business on this forum. i am just an American who loves Thailand and am planning to retire here. Best of luck.