How About Becoming A Thai National

Hello everybody,

I guess it would be a "dream" :o for every farrang staying with family in thailand to become a thai national.

But theoretically, is it possible ?

And if, how does it happen ?

ShingDam

Quite possible, and some have done it.

Theoretically

Get a work visa extended for 3 years and work here with work permit/pay tax; get PR; stay another 2 years apply and get citizenship.

- some minimum income creteria

- some character tests

- must speak/read some Thai

- subjective test

More realistically

Do this, but on the way have all manner of interviews and delays, but process is basically the same and takes a while longer.

Most stop at PR (Permanent Residence) but one can go on after being here for a consecutive period of not less than five years, a permanent resident is eligible to apply for naturalization as a Thai. Generally, however, you should have been living in Thailand for 10 years, at least.

Applicants for Thai nationality have to show that they:

• are of full legal capacity under Thai law and the law under which they hold nationality;

• display good behavior;

• have a regular occupation and income; and

• are able to speak and understand Thai.

The naturalization application has to be made with the Special Branch Police Division of the Police Department. The application will be considered by a Naturalization Bureau. Final approval will be issued by the Interior Ministry.

You need among others 2 guarantors (Thai of course) who give evidences about the Assets and conduct of the Naturalized person.

Be prepared for a lenghty procedures (as in any country, I would say).

Overall, it will be a total commitment to the coountry and should be very carefully considered. One as well shold consideer to lose the origial nationality, depending where you come from as many countries do not accept dual ones.

I have one friend in LoS, who did it years ago. Easier to do business in Thailand, but he still holds (in his case can do) his original passport/nationality.

Hi dr_Pat_Pong,

I do not have a Thai parent at all. Just that I was thinking of living here 'full-time' and want to convert my statue to a Thai so as not to have the hassle of runnning around doing my visas every time.

Any advise? Going to read the link that tywais provided now......