Stopped By Police, Eu Driving License Taken

modafinil

I got stopped at a police checkpoint today in Phuket, I handed over my licence and the policeman told me that it was a driving license, and that I had to pay a fine. Guilty as charged, no arguments from me.

I told the policeman I didn't have any money with me, he told me to go to the local police station later and pay the fine and I can get my license back. At least that's what I think he said, something may have been lost in translation.

Now I'm not disputing that what I was doing was wrong (riding about on a motorbike when I only have an EU driving license). Anybody who wishes to make witty "serves you right, som nam naa"-type comments is welcome to do so. If it gives you any pleasure to deliver a stern lecture on the wrongs of lawbreaking, please break out a sermon for me, it will be tremendously entertaining for everybody reading I'm sure.

I have one question only. If I never bother going to the police station to pay my 500 baht fine, what is the likely outcome?

Wild speculation welcome, informed knowledge would be better still. Thanks!

If you don't recover your licence I very much doubt anything will happen, its simply not worth their while.

Or, it might be worth more than 500 baht (the fine) for you to get it back, in which case its simple enough to do so.

Once you get your licence back getting a Thai drivers licence is highly advisable.

• Like 1

Highly unlikely that anything nasty will happen if you don't pay.

BUT you now have no licence at all, what happens next time you get stopped?

Take the paper you got to the station indicated on it and pay up.

Get a Thai licence :)

Some questions.. 1) do you have motorcycle entitlement on your licence,,does it show a bike? (scooter entitlement) 2) is the licence in English? 3) is the offence riding without a valid licence?

if yes to 1 ,2 and 3 then the licence is legal to use for up to 6 months..contest it at the police station

As for not going to pay the fine.. then thats up to you.. but next time the owner of the bike has to retax the bike they will have to pay it.. is it worth the hassle of getting a new licence for 500b

An EU license is not valid here. Just go and get it back, pay the fine and get a Thai license, will save you a lot of hassle and you will get the Thai price at all these lovely attractions around the country.

Pay the 500B. It was taken as your form of ID. Next time, if you have no ID, they'll keep you by the side of the road until they have time to take you back to the station. They might even lock you up until you can produce a passport, then sit in a prison cell until immigration have checked you out.

The fine stays on the bike if you don't pay, as stated above.

was it a rented bike? if yes, you can call the rental guys but they have already taken your license just go to the cop shop and pay them 500 thb and get your license back.

They took my driving license from back home and they lost it at teh police station.

If you are living here for some time and continue to live, just get a Thai license - no sermon intended.

Highly unlikely that anything nasty will happen if you don't pay.

BUT you now have no licence at all, what happens next time you get stopped?

Take the paper you got to the station indicated on it and pay up.

Get a Thai licence smile.png

Get a thai license without a work permit?

Is it doable?

yes

• Like 1

Please explain what you mean here: " I handed over my licence and the policeman told me that it was a driving license, and that I had to pay a fine."

Do you mean to say that he told you it wasn't a driving license]? If you live here and are not a tourist then he is right. If it isn't motorcycle endorsed, then you are not licensed to drive a motorcycle.

And to answer your question, nothing happens if you don't pay, except you lose your EU license.

An EU license is not valid here.

Incorrect. It is valid if it is in English has a photo and you are a tourist/vistor, but not if you are a resident. As previously stated it needs to be motorcycle endorsed if on a motorcycle. Most cops at least in Phuket don't care about that though. They usually accept a car license from home for a tourist on a scooter. Edited by NomadJoe

I left mine with them once, i completely forgot to go in and pay the fine and collect my licence, 1 week passed and I went in, they had a drawer full of thai and foreign licences, some had been there for a very long time I was told. So nothing would happen to you

You got it pretty close thaicbr. A couple things though...

The red and strikethrough below is mine.

Some questions.. 1) do you have motorcycle entitlement on your licence,,does it show a bike? (scooter entitlement) 2) is the licence in English ? 3) is the offence riding without a valid licence? 4) Are you a tourist

if yes to 1 ,2

and 4 then the licence is legal to use for up to 6 months..contest it at the police station

As I stated, there is no time limit. It is simply whether you are a tourist or a resident.

You dont even have to go yourself - I asked my maid to go and get mine last time, no problem!!

Yeah I had a copper pick it up for me - reduced the fine by 300 baht to boot :D (800 down to 500 - 800 was for two offences, non-Thai license (after several years ooops) and illegal U-turn - fair cop!)

Hi NomadJoe,

Very interesting and many thanks for making the effort.

For me, this has cleared up any misconceptions I had regarding driving licences in Thailand.

Thanks again.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thank you for the excellent and informative answers - I appreciate it.

I will add a little anecdotal evidence of my own regarding traffic stops. I have been stopped twice in the last 6 months on my bike (6 months ago and today), and on both occasions my EU driving license was rejected because it did not have the motorcycle endorsement. The first time I had plenty of cash with me and just paid the requested 500 Baht fine on the spot (with receipt etc).

I should point out that both these occasions were in Phuket, where the police are probably more tourist-savvy than in most of Thailand. I had been stopped perhaps 8 times before then - on each occasion, the EU driving license was seen as OK by the cops, and I was waved on with no fine.

So it appears that many/most of the police in Phuket now know the difference between a standard driving licence, and one that is endorsed with a motorcycle license. Previously this was not the case. Your experiences may vary. Both roadblocks were in different parts of the island, and had several police pulling every motorbike (but no cars) over.

Taking the license is normal, after the fine paid, you go back , show the receipt and license is returned.

HOWEVER

If you do not do it fast, when you return, and police is not there, you will end up chasing it for a very long time.

If you do not care about the license and do not pay, nothing will happen to you, HOWEVER they can attach the fine to the bike and bike owner will have to pay it at some point

About 5 years ago I turned into the South Pattaya Road coming from Third Road, and after about 30 metres, along with 3 or 4 other bikes, turned right crossing the yellow line to go in the opposite direction. Copper stopped me, not the other drivers, all Thais. Told me it's illegal to cross the yellow line, 400 Baht, and that I had endangered the traffic, 400 Baht more. No I didn't, the light was red and all vehicles stopped. He was such an ugly git, and grinning happily already spending the 50% he would get from my fine in his mind. I didn't pay, forfeiting my license. Crossed the borders countless times since, no problem. No problem to pay tax and insurance, to get a Thai license, no trouble to register new bikes. Their systems are not as sophisticated as ours, and they have trouble to write foreign names down correctly. See the news section. My name contains an umlaut, so they're more likely to loose it. If the same cop stopped me again, he would not have recognized me. It's as difficult for them to recognize Farangs as it is for us to tell Asians apart. And they're not so bright, the traffic cops.

About 5 years ago I turned into the South Pattaya Road coming from Third Road, and after about 30 metres, along with 3 or 4 other bikes, turned right crossing the yellow line to go in the opposite direction. Copper stopped me, not the other drivers, all Thais. Told me it's illegal to cross the yellow line, 400 Baht, and that I had endangered the traffic, 400 Baht more. No I didn't, the light was red and all vehicles stopped. He was such an ugly git, and grinning happily already spending the 50% he would get from my fine in his mind. I didn't pay, forfeiting my license. Crossed the borders countless times since, no problem. No problem to pay tax and insurance, to get a Thai license, no trouble to register new bikes. Their systems are not as sophisticated as ours, and they have trouble to write foreign names down correctly. See the news section. My name contains an umlaut, so they're more likely to loose it. If the same cop stopped me again, he would not have recognized me. It's as difficult for them to recognize Farangs as it is for us to tell Asians apart. And they're not so bright, the traffic cops.

What a racist and un-informed postrolleyes.gif

For starters, in 5 years many things have changed, just because he did not bother to attach the fine to vehicle registration, it does not mean it can not be done.

Secondly if you too arrogant or ignorant to tell the difference in Asian people, do not put everyone in the same potblink.png

I will add a little anecdotal evidence of my own regarding traffic stops. I have been stopped twice in the last 6 months on my bike (6 months ago and today), and on both occasions my EU driving license was rejected because it did not have the motorcycle endorsement. The first time I had plenty of cash with me and just paid the requested 500 Baht fine on the spot (with receipt etc).

I should point out that both these occasions were in Phuket, where the police are probably more tourist-savvy than in most of Thailand. I had been stopped perhaps 8 times before then - on each occasion, the EU driving license was seen as OK by the cops, and I was waved on with no fine.

So it appears that many/most of the police in Phuket now know the difference between a standard driving licence, and one that is endorsed with a motorcycle license. Previously this was not the case. Your experiences may vary. Both roadblocks were in different parts of the island, and had several police pulling every motorbike (but no cars) over.

If you get pulled over in phuket, its not easy to 'not' be fined! I got pulled over along the beach once, I had my thai licence, tax, copy of green book, helmet - I mean there was nothing he could get me on... he ticketed me for not doing my strap up properly on my helmet, he stated the strap was not far enough under my chin!! no joke!! It was so ridiculous that I found it funny, paid and went on my way.

If you get pulled over in phuket, its not easy to 'not' be fined! I got pulled over along the beach once, I had my thai licence, tax, copy of green book, helmet - I mean there was nothing he could get me on... he ticketed me for not doing my strap up properly on my helmet, he stated the strap was not far enough under my chin!! no joke!! It was so ridiculous that I found it funny, paid and went on my way.

Thats not ridiculous at all.

I had mates fined for not having a pink book. Do not ask what pink book is, because there is no pink book.

The same guy was fined for having his bike too loud(Brand new, unmodified Elegance)

To prove the point of bike being loud, cop put it on the stand and revved it to the max.

On the flip side of the coin I think farang cops would have far more difficulty writing down Thai names than their Thai counterparts show when writing farang names. Not all Thai cops are as daft as some farangs would have us believe, you know.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

the info here seem very helpful. as been looking for my International licence all day thought i had lost it . got stopped yesterday turning left on a red light .( seems odd every one turns left on a red light) .

I remember him looking at my licence .he told me go to Pattaya police station. so i did within 4 hrs and paid 500 baht fine

got home could not find my International licence .

after reading these comments i see the policeman still has it .

he could have told me not to pay the fine the same day.!!!!!! as it seems it would be at the police station next day

i will hope to get it tomorrow !!!!!!

the info here seem very helpful. as been looking for my International licence all day thought i had lost it . got stopped yesterday turning left on a red light .( seems odd every one turns left on a red light) .

I remember him looking at my licence .he told me go to Pattaya police station. so i did within 4 hrs and paid 500 baht fine

he could have told me not to pay the fine the same day.!!!!!! as it seems it would be at the police station next day

Yeah left on red everyone does but it is usually illegal & a sign is usually posted a few meters before the turn/light in the left lane.

The cops like to set up right after as it is easy to see those who break the rule & pull them over.

Yes it is 500 now & next time...if there is a next time.... you ask the cop if you can just pay 200 now because

your busy. They will always take it & it is easier for you & them too.

Those against such practices please just ignore this part of the reply

Edited by meechai

Yeah left on red everyone does but it is usually illegal & a sign is usually posted a few meters before the turn/light in the left lane.

The cops like to set up right after as it is easy to see those who break the rule & pull them over.

Yes it is 500 now & next time...if there is a next time.... you ask the cop if you can just pay 200 now because

your busy. They will always take it & it is easier for you & them too.

Those against such practices please just ignore this part of the reply

If the left turn red light is an arrow, then you cannot turn. If it is a normal red circle then you can turn but you have to stop first. Pointless discussion though as nobody stops at these no matter if they are an arrow or circle.

Never ever pay a the bribe to traffic cops in Thailand. You are just as much the problem as the cops. If everyone just stopped being lazy and paying the cops bribes, the cops would stop trying to pull people up for imagined offenses. (It's also illegal) I have never, and will never pay a bribe to a cop in Thailand, nor will I submit (easily) to being done for imagined offenses. Too loud exhaust on a stock bike, no "pink" book, helmet strap improperly positioned..<deleted>. I will sit there all day before letting someone steal 1 satang off me, especially someone in uniform. I happily pay any offense I am guilty of. If you can't bother learning the road and licensing laws in Thailand, then you shouldn't be driving.

Edited by NomadJoe

An EU license is not valid here. Just go and get it back, pay the fine and get a Thai license, will save you a lot of hassle and you will get the Thai price at all these lovely attractions around the country.

Technically they are, depending on which country they are issued from, under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

Explaining that to the BiB and convincing them of it may well be a different matter, though, and most people here (Thai or farang, resident or tourist) take the pragmatic view that its far easier to hand over 100 baht on the spot than waste their time. Treat it as a "tax".