Running In Bangkok

yourauntbob

Ok so recently i have decided to do some jogging and other cardio before I get too round thumbsup.gif . I live on the outskirts of BKK and find that running can be challenging because of 1) dogs 2) cluttered sidewalks 3) lack of driving courtesy

I understand there isnt much I can do about the sidewalks other than piss people off by running through/knocking over stuff (which i refrain from), and drivers are lost causes. So my question becomes how do others handle the dogs? I usually keep an eye out and if I see one coming up from behind I face it and make myself look big (not too much of a problem) until i can walk a safe distance away. If a dog is being a bit more aggressive I will put my hand up to make it look like i have something to throw at them and that normally does the trick. When I am approaching one from the front i give plenty of space and if it seems to take interest in me i slow to a walk until i am a decent distance away. It can be annoying stopping several times and breaking my rhythm. Anyone have any better suggestions other than carrying a beating stick (which is tempting)?

Edited by yourauntbob

Hi, I don't run in the streets. I usually keep it in my village, which has a .7 kilometer loop that I will run around 8 times like a hamster. Lots of other villagers doing the same thing so we have kind of a fraternity, haha.

I'll hit the running machine at my gym, but I prefer outdoor running, esp in the evening or very early morning (before sunrise).

Have you checked around your 'hood for parks? What part of town you in? About a 10 minute drive from my house there are two really great parks, that I will go to on the weekend mornings or evenings...but this option might be difficult if you don't have your own transport. One has a 1.25 loop and the other a .8 loop.

Edited by tominbkk

Hi, I don't run in the streets. I usually keep it in my village, which has a .7 kilometer loop that I will run around 8 times like a hamster. Lots of other villagers doing the same thing so we have kind of a fraternity, haha.

I'll hit the running machine at my gym, but I prefer outdoor running, esp in the evening or very early morning (before sunrise).

Have you checked around your 'hood for parks? What part of town you in? About a 10 minute drive from my house there are two really great parks, that I will go to on the weekend mornings or evenings...but this option might be difficult if you don't have your own transport. One has a 1.25 loop and the other a .8 loop.

There is a small park in my village but i dont like using small loops. When I run i like to do 4-6 kilometers at a clip and running around a circle 40 times can be quite boring.

There is a small park in my village but i dont like using small loops. When I run i like to do 4-6 kilometers at a clip and running around a circle 40 times can be quite boring.

Yeah my.6 loop is a bit tedious, though at one point I lived in a village that had a .4 loop...

Any parks outside your village that you can get to?

A boring circuit or getting bitten/inconvenienced by dogs? It's a no-brainer. Go for boredom.

• Like 1

A boring circuit or getting bitten/inconvenienced by dogs? It's a no-brainer. Go for boredom.

i'd have to agree with that. I live in the 'burbs and love to ride my bike around exploring, but there are just too many crazy dogs out there...

i'd have to agree with that. I live in the 'burbs and love to ride my bike around exploring, but there are just too many crazy dogs out there...

Just bring my dog with you for a run :P he will take care of the other dogs biggrin.png or hit him a few times and let him chase you... you will set a record time for sure and he gets a chance to chase an other foreigner as me tongue.png

• Like 1

I think there are dog-repellant electronic devices that emit low (or high?) frequency sounds that can scare dogs away. Maybe get one of those?

That would be great. I ran the streets outside the village yesterday for a change and had three close encounters of the canine kind. Maybe a squirt bottle filled with ammonia would work?

Edited by tominbkk

• 4 weeks later...

Long run - Q-house Soi convent to Sukhumvit 30 via Rama 4 cutting a left of Soi 36 at the 7-11... 7KM.

Short run - MRT Queen Srikit Convention station to home... 4KM.

General common sense on the roads... check before moving from sidewalk to road (to avoid others)...

Been doing it for years...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...