Mosquitoes bites

Prada, YSL…..

How many electronic gadgets hanging out from your pant pockets

A Thai boxer fighting for glory at Lumphini park

3 hrs Lakorn thai on whatever channel

English football and Beckman or Brinkman….whatever

The Farang tourists loaded with cash and their Flash-the-Cash method

Oh…and

Then, if you find out through your fan club that your idol is coming to Thailand, it is essential to get to the airport three days before his flight arrives, sleep outside the terminal and post up as many pictures of your idol as you possibly can. When you see his plane approaching at 500 feet start……screaming!

Sigh…You got to love the thais and their laid-back attitudes toward world politics!

To the thais - A world is pure imagination

They don’t even know where Thailand is on a world map

Nothing is more important than ….

Skin whitening lotions

Mosquitoes bites

Prada, YSL…..

Oh…and

Then, if you find out through your fan club that your idol is coming to Thailand, it is essential to get to the airport three days before his flight arrives, sleep outside the terminal and post up as many pictures of your idol as you possibly can. When you see his plane approaching at 500 feet start……screaming!

Sigh…You got to love the thais and their laid-back attitudes toward world politics!

#############Flame Deleted############

Edited by cdnvic

I mix with village people in Isaan, rather than graduates and professionals, and certainly here the interest in the outside world is very limited.

I have never seen a newspaper in the village.

I have never seen an adult read a book.

The only books I have seen in anyone's house (except kids books) were some books about Buddhism, in English, that one of my neighbours gave me.

I have not seen people watching the news on TV, but of course I am not always in their houses - TV seems mostly kids watching cartoons, soaps, etc.

All the news comes from the village loudspeaker; I can't understand what they say, but when I have asked it mostly seems to be about the road being concreted, water level in the river, someone getting married, etc. Of course there might be world events but I don't think so. (One day I am sure my Lao will enable me to understand what they say, until then it is all second hand...)

I was going to say that perhaps an interest in the outside world is a luxury when you are subsistence farming - but then, they don't seem very busy most of the time, and watching the news on TV is free (most people have a TV here). A newspaper can be passed to a neighbour once it has been read.

Maybe "think too much" :o

The wife, 28 year old university computer graduate, living in BKK and working for a multi-national, is telling me she does not know about the war in Iraq, or the war on terror for that matter.

Is this really possible ? Often during discussion with Thais it seems many are not aware of events, current or historical, which are common knowledge amongst foreigners.

Have others experienced the same ? Is this unique amongst Thais ? What explains this lack of information ? Is it simply disinterest ? I'm at a loss to find a reason ?

Ask almost any "University" educated Thai to point to any of the large countries on a globe. They do not know where England, France, Germany, USA, etc are. Well I do mean univerisity educated in Thailand.

Why is that?

not all!!

But the educated hide somewhere.

There are a lot well informed people. Just the normal taxi driver does not know anything.

Skin whitening lotions

Mosquitoes bites

Prada, YSL…..

Oh…and

hhmmm.....I've considered that feigning ignorance could be a way of avoiding a particular topic which they either a) don't want to talk about, or :o don't feel qualified to talk about. If it was an isolated incident I'd think she was joking, but it's not the first time for her or others.

A lot has been said about the Thai education system, but I think the cultural need to avoid confrontation must also play a part. My wife is constantly complaining that there is never intelligent lunch time conversation at work. She works in an office with mostly well educated Thai women who rarely talk about anything contentious. The only exception to this is the Engineering Manager. He is Thai but was educated in Japan, and he likes to start conversations that involve a two sided argument. My wife, being a debater, usually takes the bait, and they have a friendly discussion/debate. This makes the other women sitting around to lunch table very uncomfortable, as it breaks a number of social norms, the relevant norm in this case being conflict avoidance. You can’t make some look bad, and you don’t want to look bad yourself.

So if even having a friendly debate over current events can be seen as socially negative, there is a disincentive to acquire knowledge that might get you into trouble latter. This may contribute to the perceived lack of interest Thai’s have in world events. Since no one around you is talking about it, and you’re pretty sure they don’t want to hear it from you, why be interested in things that happened long ago or far away.

Skin whitening lotions

Mosquitoes bites

Prada, YSL…..

Oh…and

:o Too true!

Thais don't teach Geography at school, so what?

Americans don't teach 'samadhi' - which is more important.

""""""""Neil Armstrong, I thought he was a famous Jazz musican, did not know that he was on the Moon as well"""""""""

I saw him on telly a couple of days ago speaking about cancer and the wife of superman. He was on the moon? The jazz guy was black - not the same one.

I spoke to one university student last year who didn't know who George Bush was.

Edited by Neeranam

I highlighted the mistakes in red. Corrections are as follows:

1st mistake: "Too" not "to"

2nd mistake: "their" not "there"

3rd mistake: "their" not "there"

4th mistake: "their" not "there"

5th mistake: "they're" not "there"

I am just having a laugh man, no harm intended. Just joking! :D:o

Dam n Illuminati ! Trying to edumacate the masses (or is that the "misses" ?)

It's not surprising that many (most ?) Thais don't have a good grasp of international affairs. I read 8-10 online newspapers/news sites every morning (BBC, CNN, Canada.com, Bangkok Post, The Nation, Fox News, Xinhua and others).

Many of the non-Thai sites rarely have any news about Thailand (the only stuff recently is on the protest marches in Bangkok).

When I was in Afghanistan, I was amazed at what was happening in the south of Thailand, more because it wasn't reported in any of the "big" news media. The only way I found out was by reading the Thai papers.

Same in reverse. There's plenty happening in Canada and other places that doesn't get reported in the Thai papers (I think one of them had an article about the last national election in Canada. Maybe something about Saxena's deportation proceedings, because it was of interest to Thailand).

Many of the people here (on TV) are exposed to more media than the average Thai. We naturally take a keen interest in matters involving our home countries. Because we actively (in some cases) look for this kind of stuff, we are better informed than our Thai neighbours about international events, especially as they concern our home country. Many of the members here are from countries that have troops deployed to Iraq and/or Afghanistan.

If Thailand was more actively involved internationally (say they put a large troop commitment in Iraq instead of a small one, and it was involved in some battles, taking casualties, ect), it would be on the local news because it would be of interest to the Thais and would boost ratings.

Many of us "Westerners" also have the luxury of not having to worry about where our next meal is coming from. We don't worry (as much) about how we are going to afford to send money home to support our parents and pay the vet bills for all those sick buffalo back home. We have more time (and desire) to concern ourselves with other matters.

Next time you are in your home country (if you are not there already), try asking some of your (non-Thai) neighbours what they think about the elections in Thailand. Or ask them what they think the road death toll will be in this years Songkhran. Are any of them aware of all the violence happening in Southern Thailand, without being told by you ?

I think you'll find your neighbours are just as uninformed about Thailand and S.E. Asia, as the Thais are about the Middle East and Europe/N America.

Edited by Kerryd

Americans don't theach Geography at school as well.

the Jazz guy is black? Methinks that is because the sun is very strong on the moon. But I am pretty shocked that he is doing arround with supermans wife. Sure there is trouble if Superman knows that.

"I spoke to one university student last year who didn't know who George Bush was."

that was the guy who stepped second after Neil Armstrong on the moon, right?

Thais don't teach Geography at school, so what?

Americans don't teach 'samadhi' - which is more important.

""""""""Neil Armstrong, I thought he was a famous Jazz musican, did not know that he was on the Moon as well"""""""""

I saw him on telly a couple of days ago speaking about cancer and the wife of superman. He was on the moon? The jazz guy was black - not the same one.

I spoke to one university student last year who didn't know who George Bush was.

Ask almost any "University" educated Thai to point to any of the large countries on a globe. They do not know where England, France, Germany, USA, etc are. Well I do mean univerisity educated in Thailand.

Why is that?

Perhaps because England is not a large country, I hardly think 50,085 sq miles or 129,720 sq km qualifies as being regarded as large.

I don't think that Thai people's ignorance is limited to world history. My friend is a professor of Thai history at a university in Bangkok. I took his final on Thai history and answered based on my general knowlede. I did better than 50% of the students who are mostly Thai and took the class for the entire semester. The top 3 scoreers in the class were all foreign students. I also have expreience of speaking with educated Thai people and asking them about Thai history in hopes to learn something. I was often shocked at how little they know and how many mistakes they make. The only thing that seems consistent is that many of them know that Thailand was never colonized.

One reason may be that I have met very few Thai people who read for pleasure. Most of my knowledge comes from books and documentaries.

I like history and am genuinely interested in it, but my interests don't make me superior. Nobody would hold people up to ridicule if they were ignorant of calculus.

The wife, 28 year old university computer graduate, living in BKK and working for a multi-national, is telling me she does not know about the war in Iraq, or the war on terror for that matter.

Is this really possible ? Often during discussion with Thais it seems many are not aware of events, current or historical, which are common knowledge amongst foreigners.

Have others experienced the same ? Is this unique amongst Thais ? What explains this lack of information ? Is it simply disinterest ? I'm at a loss to find a reason ?

Why is that?

This have got to be one of the bigest Bullshit I've ever read.

You must be kidding! What Thai University Educated students have you people been talking to? May be one graduated in NewGuine, oxford, or may be Victoria Uni perhaps? The people I know graduated from Chula and Chiangmai Uni and others are very intelligent and open minded, unlike many here on TV.

With all due respect, but many of you live on Thai soil, make money and planned on retiring in Thailand, married their women and have children here; but, have nothing but negativity to say about them? I think may be you are the pittiful soul.

h90, American do teach Geography. As a matter of fact, they start teaching them at an early age. Get your fact straight.

Edited by Misplaced

I ask my wife about Hitler, and she says who :o

Like Brit says i have found alot(not all) Thais dont care or worry what goes on outside Thailand. I wish i could be like this :D

I asked my wife about Great Brittain and she replied; GREAT????

Why is that?

This have got to be one of the bigest Bullshit I've ever read.

You must be kidding! What Thai University Educated students have you people been talking to? May be one graduated in NewGuine, oxford, or may be Victoria Uni perhaps? The people I know graduated from Chula and Chiangmai Uni and others are very intelligent and open minded, unlike many here on TV.

With all due respect, but many of you live on Thai soil, make money and planned on retiring in Thailand, married their women and have children here; but, have nothing but negativity to say about them? I think may be you are the pittiful soul.

h90, American do teach Geography. As a matter of fact, they start teaching them at an early age. Get your fact straight.

Recently we had family come to visit from Australia. I took them to the Burma-Thai railway, Hellfire pass etc. My wife said to me "Tuky, why Japan win the war? Farang big size but Japan man small size?"

:o

Even though those horrors took place in Thailand I think Britmaveric summed it up.

Thailand is the center of the universe for most Thai(s). smile.gif

Probably contraiy to most of the women discussed my wife is born after the 2ndworldwar and went to school and knows about Hitler, concentration camps, the railway and the Japanese

funny huh, that some really do not know about these things, but even in our western world we still have people that believe it all did not happen and is a jewish hoax for sympathy and land in Arab country

I think Thai people miss a sensitivity button, walking around with Osama shirts, german helmets and swastika's.......or are just plain stupid.

Sometimes I see them walking wiht a Che shirt and I ask them, they really do not kwow about him for them it is all the same, adidas, nike, che, linkin park

not suprised in the slightest

Thai seems to have a total disinterest for affairs not concerning Thailand. I know this is a complete stereoptype but i feel it is the general trend. On the news too. There will be a short burst of intrnational coverage in no great depth (after the Thai coverage naturally) but the main emphasis is usually on some truck driver getting caught with someting or an explosion in the south or something other crap like a woman jumping off a roof.

This seems the way for the west too, I spoke to my dad back in the UK. Knew noting of any political unrest in Thailand. He is getting on a bit though:) I guess contries in general have their own interests best at heart. (did the Thais fight against hitler/japan?)

When the south starts bombing Bangkokyour wife will know about terror and it will all make sense (with a little (or lot) explanation regarding religion, the American's giving Jew's what the palestinians considered their homeland after the 2nd world war.........and the general hatred that has bred an era of terror. not just recent either......)

(PS Thai sent forces to iraq to appease bush - not to let the the Thai people know how great they are (!?!?!?!?!?!?) _I might be wrong but i think their army isn't up to much and it was a purely token gesture. Bush is Sith lord and leader of the fourth reich who will probably be assassinated to establish martial law in the US, all possible IMHO but i don't think the majority see it that way! Try telling your wife they blew up their own world trade towers and explain that, now that will really confuse her. My next worry is iran. China diagree and only need to step in and things could get ugly

Just looked on yahoo today and 51 UK firms in iraq. The UK and US have made a serious and i mean SERIOUS amount of money ie billions/ not millions......no idea about Thailand though.

bedtime

PS got some great avi videos on conspiracy - looks like they worked on me! :o

Aren't you a racist beotch check your facts jack. The British were in charge of Palestine after the war. What color is the sky in your world.

I'm not rasicst, infact my grandad was american, but i was pretty offkey in my post factually - and didn't mean any offence, so sorry for that. I felt that the post started on track becauseinternational news coverage does seem poor to me on the TV thats all. The rest of it was the Chang talking

Also, I just can't remeber some of those things they taught me at school, like the name of the meetings the allies had, hold on....ahhhh so versialles treaty was world war 1...I'm no historian so please except my appologies....having a look on the internet though, its a topic i don't know much about and would like to know more about, what with it's ongoing relevance to the world we will live in.......but thats offpost so let this just be an appology for providing bad information and offending you

keeping on track. Is it true that Taksin has a problem with the Muslimis in the South? Has Taksin has talkjed to Bush about these things?. Does ush and the US support Jewish interest in the US above Muslim interests? Has the world of 'terror' as we know it today has been created partially because of this? I know my histories not good and am genuinely not sure on all the above? you seem to know a lot more about it than me tavarich so maybe you could helpeducated ( in a friendly way this time please)

cheers

don't take it as absolute true, just rumours, but what my wife from the south is telling (she is buddhist).

first army was respondsible for peace, than Thaksin gave for the police, so the army may has interests in bombing, to get their power back

Thaksin catched a indonesian guy who might be an terrorist and sent them to USA, which is against all international laws (imagine you are from USA, they catch you because you might be a terrorist (which is not sure) and send you to China). So the indonesian guy can put at a court in Thailand or sent to a court in Indonesia.....

She also claims muslim terror helps him, because it is a reason for strong laws. There were 2 news, small articles (either nation or bkk-post, because I can not read thai). One telling that they catch some thai army with bombs and muslim clothes/quaran on the back of the car and one time they told that they catch CIA spys and sent the back to USA. But considering that would be very hot news, but it was just 2 very small articels. So what is going on? It is true and they want to keep it secret, or it is just bs, or it was something bkk post heared from someone who heared it from someone.......

Thai seems to have a total disinterest for affairs not concerning Thailand. I know this is a complete stereoptype but i feel it is the general trend. On the news too. There will be a short burst of intrnational coverage in no great depth (after the Thai coverage naturally) but the main emphasis is usually on some truck driver getting caught with someting or an explosion in the south or something other crap like a woman jumping off a roof.

This seems the way for the west too, I spoke to my dad back in the UK. Knew noting of any political unrest in Thailand. He is getting on a bit though:) I guess contries in general have their own interests best at heart. (did the Thais fight against hitler/japan?)

When the south starts bombing Bangkokyour wife will know about terror and it will all make sense (with a little (or lot) explanation regarding religion, the American's giving Jew's what the palestinians considered their homeland after the 2nd world war.........and the general hatred that has bred an era of terror. not just recent either......)

(PS Thai sent forces to iraq to appease bush - not to let the the Thai people know how great they are (!?!?!?!?!?!?) _I might be wrong but i think their army isn't up to much and it was a purely token gesture. Bush is Sith lord and leader of the fourth reich who will probably be assassinated to establish martial law in the US, all possible IMHO but i don't think the majority see it that way! Try telling your wife they blew up their own world trade towers and explain that, now that will really confuse her. My next worry is iran. China diagree and only need to step in and things could get ugly

Just looked on yahoo today and 51 UK firms in iraq. The UK and US have made a serious and i mean SERIOUS amount of money ie billions/ not millions......no idea about Thailand though.

bedtime

Aren't you a racist beotch check your facts jack. The British were in charge of Palestine after the war. What color is the sky in your world.

I'm not rasicst, infact my grandad was american, but i was pretty offkey in my post factually - and didn't mean any offence, so sorry for that. I felt that the post started on track becauseinternational news coverage does seem poor to me on the TV thats all. The rest of it was the Chang talking

Also, I just can't remeber some of those things they taught me at school, like the name of the meetings the allies had, hold on....ahhhh so versialles treaty was world war 1...I'm no historian so please except my appologies....having a look on the internet though, its a topic i don't know much about and would like to know more about, what with it's ongoing relevance to the world we will live in.......but thats offpost so let this just be an appology for providing bad information and offending you

keeping on track. Is it true that Taksin has a problem with the Muslimis in the South? Has Taksin has talkjed to Bush about these things?. Does ush and the US support Jewish interest in the US above Muslim interests? Has the world of 'terror' as we know it today has been created partially because of this? I know my histories not good and am genuinely not sure on all the above? you seem to know a lot more about it than me tavarich so maybe you could helpeducated ( in a friendly way this time please)

cheers

[

Thaksin catched a indonesian guy who might be an terrorist and sent them to USA, which is against all international laws (imagine you are from USA, they catch you because you might be a terrorist (which is not sure) and send you to China). So the indonesian guy can put at a court in Thailand or sent to a court in Indonesia.....

What makes this even more ridiculous is that Thailand didn't just turn him over, but basically sold him for $20 million. However, the US had him in custody for 3 days before bringing him to the US. I assume this was to bypass torture laws that would only apply when a prisoner is on American soil.

[

What makes this even more ridiculous is that Thailand didn't just turn him over, but basically sold him for $20 million. However, the US had him in custody for 3 days before bringing him to the US. I assume this was to bypass torture laws that would only apply when a prisoner is on American soil.

Funny to find out today that hte problems in the South, human rights issues, Guantanamo Bay, International terrorisme are all due to Thaksin.....

J

20 mill $. that explains a lot....

a lot money

[

of course he is respondsible for the situation in the south and the human right issues in thailand.

Guantanamo and 9/11 is not his fault, but noone claimed it is his fault....

[

Funny to find out today that hte problems in the South, human rights issues, Guantanamo Bay, International terrorisme are all due to Thaksin.....

J

bedtime

:D:D:D Troll post or extremely stupid.

On another note. I had dinner (outside) with a Thai girl that has a Uni degree in Microbiology. The moon was out and she asked me if I could see the moon from the United States. :D

bedtime

On another note. I had dinner (outside) with a Thai girl that has a Uni degree in Microbiology. The moon was out and she asked me if I could see the moon from the United States. :D

yes but if looking from USA you see the other side of the moon or?

I think Thai people miss a sensitivity button, walking around with Osama shirts, german helmets and swastika's.......or are just plain stupid.

You have the nerve to call other people JUST PLAIN STUPID. It would help if you understood about the things you comment on before you pass judgement.

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

bedtime

PS got some great avi videos on conspiracy - looks like they worked on me! :D

yes but if looking from USA you see the other side of the moon or?

Good question I don't really know. But since the moon rotates I'm guessing a different view of the moon. :o

You have the nerve to call other people JUST PLAIN STUPID. It would help if you understood about the things you comment on before you pass judgement.

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Correct me if I am wrong,, but doesn`t the original swastica emblem go the other direction ie left handed against right handed..The Nazi movement adopted it after changing the direction . A genuine question I have no idea why I think I am correct .

Correct me if I am wrong,, but doesn`t the original swastica emblem go the other direction ie left handed against right handed..The Nazi movement adopted it after changing the direction . A genuine question I have no idea why I think I am correct .

The swastika (from Sanskrit स्वस्तिक svastika) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles in either left-facing or right-facing direction. It is traditionally oriented so that a main line is horizontal, though it is occasionally rotated at forty-five degrees. The Hindu version is often decorated with a dot in each quadrant.

a year or so a thai with a swastika tatoo showed it very proud to me and told me that he love Hitler because Hitler was a good communist.

Due to the fact that some of his friends were arround and he had some lao kao before I simply agreed and went away.

(for half a second I thought if I shall explain him what Hitler might have done to him, as a drunk Thai does not really fit into the idea of clean, blond, blue eye german "Herrenrassen" genetic).

Asians who like Hitlers racism are a bit strange....

I saw in Bali a swastika going in Hitlers direction on an old temple.

Personally, many of the Thais I know are very aware of international issues, but they were almost always educated outside of Thailand. Really, what chaps me more is I also know several highly educated foreigners, living in Thailand, who are completely oblivous to anything happening locally. They can have long discussions on most international socio-econimic issues, but when I try to discuss local issues, they don't care. This, I will never understand.