Thailand's Electricity-Generating Authorities Plan For Peak Heat

webfact

Agencies plan for peak heat
Watcharupong Thongrung
The Nation

30203433-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The country's three electricity-generating authorities have announced that they have put contingency measures and backup plans in place to cope with possible power shortages prior to and during the Songkran holiday break next week, which marks the height of the hot season and sees power usage peak.

Myanmar will reduce the supply of gas available for use by Thai electricity producers from today until April 14. To cope with any resulting power shortages, the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) has readied an extra supply of petrol for generators, prepared repair vehicles and set up ad-hoc centres to deal with power-related emergencies, including possible "brownouts" - sudden drops in the power supply - in the capital and adjacent provinces, said PEA chief Namchai Lorwatthanatrakool.

A public relations campaign is also underway to encourage household users to reduce power use from today till April 14. The measures focus on tourist-frequented provinces and cities like Phuket, Chiang Mai and Chon Buri's Pattaya.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand said the projected total use of electricity for today had increased by 300 megawatts, from the previous 26,300MW. Egat Governor Suthas Patthamasiriwat expressed hope that there would not be blackouts or brownouts today, when the temperature is expected to peak, thanks largely to a promise by private businesses that they would keep their power consumption low.

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority is speeding up maintenance work on the electricity distribution system prior to the four-day Songkran holiday break from April 13-16.

Kudatara Nagaviroj, director of corporate affairs, Big C Supercenter, said the company had already prepared a business continuity plan for power outages. All Big C hypermarkets have back-up diesel generators that can supply sufficient power.

Salinla Seehaphan, corporate affairs director, Tesco Lotus, said that the company would continue to conserve power in April.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-05

Why is Myanmar actually doing this maintenance on their gas rigs right in the middle of the hot season? Perhaps some kind of political motive? Or someone did not get enough banknotes delivered in their regular suitcase shipment?

They could have picked any month of the year but they have to do it in April... Weird. They decrease the supply of gas, but increase the supply of problems (boatloads of ethnic minorities) across their borders. Something tells me the Burmese are trying to make some kind of statement.. sad.png

Why is Myanmar actually doing this maintenance on their gas rigs right in the middle of the hot season? Perhaps some kind of political motive? Or someone did not get enough banknotes delivered in their regular suitcase shipment?

They could have picked any month of the year but they have to do it in April... Weird. They decrease the supply of gas, but increase the supply of problems (boatloads of ethnic minorities) across their borders. Something tells me the Burmese are trying to make some kind of statement.. sad.png

Maybe Thaksin paid those Burmese energy ministers under the table to apply this strategy to terrorize the Thailand. You never know what kind of connections he has with SOUTH EAST ASIAN corrupt politicians under the table,...

No not Thaksin. The Illuminati tries to get the power! We don`t have to see behind every story conspiracy ...

I think they choose this date because many factories are closed because of the holidays. Also the schools are closed. So as I read they even ask to schedule the maintenance to this time.

• Like 1

'A public relations campaign is also underway to encourage household
users to reduce power use from today till April 14. The measures focus
on tourist-frequented provinces and cities like Phuket, Chiang Mai and
Chon Buri's Pattaya.'

why? shouldn't everywhere reduce power use, what's it got to do with tourist destinations?

Straight in the middle of Songkrant? Coincidence?? whistling.gif

No, that's planned Taksinomics, sponsored from Dubai, to the corrupt Government agencies, including the Electricity ministries in Myanmar, right under the table wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

'A public relations campaign is also underway to encourage household

users to reduce power use from today till April 14. The measures focus

on tourist-frequented provinces and cities like Phuket, Chiang Mai and

Chon Buri's Pattaya.'

why? shouldn't everywhere reduce power use, what's it got to do with tourist destinations?

Tourists in these destinations use more AC then most of the Thai people in the entire Isaan (13,000,000 people) region. Sooooooo, they mention the tourist regions as they suck up the most power. Tourist destinations can not survive without power. Lights, fridges, AC, fans, you name it.

Reading a conspiracy into this is a bit OTT.

I'm not known for my government support but I think that they - plus the energy companies - are doing a decent job to prepare for the gas reduction. Fall-back sources of generation & a campaign to get everyone - including you & me - to reduce consumption is the right way to do it.

No not Thaksin. The Illuminati tries to get the power! We don`t have to see behind every story conspiracy ...

I think they choose this date because many factories are closed because of the holidays. Also the schools are closed. So as I read they even ask to schedule the maintenance to this time.

why spoil interesting conspiracy theories with facts? wink.png

Hailing from an Asian country,and living in the west for over 40 years, and being married to a western lady, I can only tell you that Thaii partners are like all females world wide who like to be cared for and loved. If you give them trust you will definitely get it back.If she feels that you are loosing interest in her then you have not done your home work. Think well about what you, with a western background can do to put things right.