It's Official: I K E A Meatballs In Bangkok Contained Horse Meat

webfact

It's official: IKEA meatballs in Bangkok contained horse meat
By Coconuts Bangkok

ikea2-578x278.jpg

BANGKOK: -- According to a statement released this Thursday by Swedish furniture maker and incidental restaurateur IKEA, samples of meatballs taken from within the retailer’s Thailand store have proven to contain horsemeat.

IKEA has been under heavy scrutiny since late February, when a Czech foodstuffs inspector discovered that meatballs at a Czech IKEA outlet contained trace amounts of horseflesh.

Source: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/its-official-ikea-meatballs-in-bangkok-contained-horsemeat/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-05

As long as it didn't contain beef it probably sold well...

Really, meatballs can contain virtually any type of animal flesh, unless the package specifically states that it contains only one type of meat. And horse meat is probably no less healthy for you than beef, pork or chicken.

I like horsemeat, especially dried. I think it should be more expensive than beef. Which religion prohibits eating horsemeat?

None as far as I know , one of those food taboos that isn't religiously based. Probably dates back to when horses were bred not for food but rather for transport, labour and warfare. Edited by Bluespunk

It appears that horse meat is much bigger business than most people knew. I am against eating horsemeat, but for a country like Thailand that eats the crap they eat, where is the complaint? Thais eat stinky dried squid, grasshoppers, beetles, dried frogs, and what ever else that can found on those insect street carts. Those thousand year eggs that smell like ammonia are a real taste treat. Seems like horse meat is a step up.

• Like 1

I like horsemeat, especially dried. I think it should be more expensive than beef. Which religion prohibits eating horsemeat?

None as far as I know , one of those food taboos that isn't religiously based. Probably dates back to when horses were bred not for food but rather for transport, labour and warfare.

I reckon the warfare one was a main reason back in the day. Even though the church long ago said horse meat was not kosher, many believe the real reason for their stance was warfare. I suspect now, with a few exception such as religion, it has to do with them often being a domesticated animal with more intelligence and feelings than a cow.

According to the below article here are some countries where a number of people love horse meat ... France, Germany, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Switzerland, Scotland, China, Indonesia and Japan. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/17/countries-that-eat-horsemeat_n_2697565.html#slide=2115947

Interesting to note that Kazakhstan has one of the highest horse populations per capita in the world. The other above countries above don't rate in the top ten per capita but by sheer number of horses China comes in second after the US.

Another interesting tidbit I picked up while trying to figure out if countries views on eating horse were related to if they were a horse loving country (by numbers) is that ...

A three-ounce serving of roast horse has 149 calories, 24 grams of protein, and five grams of fat. The same amount of beef tenderloin has 179 calories, 24 grams of protein, and nine grams of fat. Horse milk, which some Central Asians drink in fermented form, has one-third the fat of cow’s milk.

Logically, I think if you eat beef then you should have no problem eating horse but my gut reaction is to believe I'd never order horse if given the choice of a beef burger or horse burger even if the horse burger was considerably less money or free. However if I use logic or thought as opposed to gut emotion, I'd scarf down a horse burger any day if it tasted as well as a beef one.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with eating horse meat. The problem is that the scammers put in this horse meat in to production without declaring it. Very often horses get medicated with types of medicines that is not good for us people, and without this meat beeing controlled before use, we don`t know if this particular product you may eat is "clean".

The reason this stuff happens here, and the reason we get crap products from all over the world, is that the entire culture here has no idea how to really complain and raise hell. Why do people think there was no horse meat in North American Ikeas? Coincidence? Yeah, sure.

• Like 1

I think they should also disclose all the other garbage they put in meatballs and fishballs all over Thailand. Random samplings of food vendors and restaurants would be interesting. If you watch vendors making this stuff, you can sometimes see huge wads of pure fat going into meatballs - aroy, aroy!

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with eating horse meat. The problem is that the scammers put in this horse meat in to production without declaring it. Very often horses get medicated with types of medicines that is not good for us people, and without this meat beeing controlled before use, we don`t know if this particular product you may eat is "clean".

Whereas the insects are cornfed and kept in a squeaky clean environment before consumption.

It appears that horse meat is much bigger business than most people knew. I am against eating horsemeat, but for a country like Thailand that eats the crap they eat, where is the complaint? Thais eat stinky dried squid, grasshoppers, beetles, dried frogs, and what ever else that can found on those insect street carts. Those thousand year eggs that smell like ammonia are a real taste treat. Seems like horse meat is a step up.

Why are you against eating horsemeat? Certain European countries consume large amounts and import horses from other countries to butcher. They see nothing wrong in it. Just like our Korean friends like to eat dog meat.

The point is you should be given the choice - i.e. clearly informed of the contents of what you are buying to eat. This is law in many countries. Then you have the choice to eat what you want,

Thai cuisine is one of the best in the world. Thailand has the largest variety of food choice than any country I lived in or visited. I eat all of the things you mentioned and enjoy them. But, that's my choice, knowing exactly what they are before I try them.

This is about some businesses secretly adding cheap horsemeat to products to increase their profits. Not an excuse for Thai bashing - ridiculous.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1