Phuket: Kata/karon Tuk-Tuk Drivers: ' We Will Block The Road'

webfact

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tuk-tuk drivers are a bit like the old fashioned trade unions. The owners and the tuk-tuk drivers that are close to them are the real baddies here. You can tell which are the favoured tuk-tuk drivers and thus the arse-holes, they are the ones that have the most favourable spots. Most of the other tuk-tuk drivers are just regular guys.

PS I'm certainly not defending the tuk-tuk cartel, just letting you know that I have met some tuk-tuk drivers who were OK people.

Good point. These guys are well organized, but not for the good of the common driver. They're organized to make money for the ones that control them. They are the real culprits. And they are the ones raking it in.

The tuk-tuk drivers are a bit like the old fashioned trade unions. The owners and the tuk-tuk drivers that are close to them are the real baddies here. You can tell which are the favoured tuk-tuk drivers and thus the arse-holes, they are the ones that have the most favourable spots. Most of the other tuk-tuk drivers are just regular guys.

PS I'm certainly not defending the tuk-tuk cartel, just letting you know that I have met some tuk-tuk drivers who were OK people.

Good point. These guys are well organized, but not for the good of the common driver. They're organized to make money for the ones that control them. They are the real culprits. And they are the ones raking it in.

Exactly!

Tuk-tuk drivers from Issan ?? Are you sure about that? In all my years here I`ve never once met a tuk-tuk driver from Issan.They are all from Phuket,South Thailand and mostly muslims.Same with the MB-taxi drivers on the island......southern-Thais all of them.

I am sure - would you like to meet some?
I`ve met plenty and my thai language skills are basic,but I can hear the the difference between a southerner and one from Issan.
Perhaps your Thai language skills are at a level to distinguish between regions, brushnig up on your English reading skills maybe useful? YOU mentioned no Tuk tuk dirver are from the Issan I asked if you would like to meet some?
Not being an native english speaker I don`t mind a bit of nitpicking on my english skills.

And YES I want to meet an Issan tuk-tuk driver in Phuket thumbsup.gif

Terrayut has to remain tough. They need to get the central govt. involved. The taxi pigs need to he squashed, at all costs, once and for all. These insects cannot be allowed to continue. Get the army involved. Physically destroy the taxis. Fine all drivers caught blocking one million baht each. Imprison them until they pay. That is how you break their backs. With determination. Something no Thai govt. had ever shown. Thailand needs to get tough, or simply admit there us absolutely no law and order in the country, and the authorities and police are owned and controlled by the mafia crocodiles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Also, the guys who control them are in high positions of power on the island. So much so, that this entire industry can collude and avoid competing with free market forces, helped also by Thai labour laws that do not allow farang to work in the transport industry.

I'm surprised this creation of monopoly hasn't been created in other industries here.

"One tuk-tuk driver responded, “Tell Chalerm that in Phuket we no longer have rice fields. We just have tuk-tuks. This is the only way we can make a living.”"

If this is true then I can empathize.

Bullshit, most of the tuk tuk drivers are not locals but from essan and i doubt they ever had two baht to rub together. If their locals all they have is their beloved tuk tuk cause they sold their land and had fun for a year or two (i know a few thai's that this is true for).

Bring in the military

Tuk-tuk drivers from Issan ?? Are you sure about that? In all my years here I`ve never once met a tuk-tuk driver from Issan.They are all from Phuket,South Thailand and mostly muslims.Same with the MB-taxi drivers on the island......southern-Thais all of them.

I am sure - would you like to meet some?

Muslim? No. Very few. On Phuket, Muslims largely run the water based transport, Buddhists generally the land based transport. Always been that way. Some drivers a local, most are not.

This terrayut should be applauded for his determination to get this bus running and standing up for what he believes,however i very much doubt he will succeed my guess is he will be transferred to a different government department soon.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When does the service start up? Surely the PM could quicken this up by digging her feet in and telling the police or army to get involved?

I think you'll find the police are already involved, but perhaps not in quite the way you would envisage.

+1

am sure - would you like to meet some?

Bullshit, most of the tuk tuk drivers are not locals but from essan and i doubt they ever had two baht to rub together. If their locals all they have is their beloved tuk tuk cause they sold their land and had fun for a year or two (i know a few thai's that this is true for).

Bring in the military

Muslim? No. Very few. On Phuket, Muslims largely run the water based transport, Buddhists generally the land based transport. Always been that way. Some drivers a local, most are not.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion....

Experience.

• 2 months later...

Thanx for this post........... he is the guy who charged me 300thb for 100m ridew00t.gif .

I thought this is e norm for tuk-tuk drivers in phuket.

I find those motorbike taxi charge cheaper though for e same distance 120thb.wai2.gif

The Mayors son will be 'on hand' to keep the peace & make face as well as get his mug in the papers

And to make sure there are plenty of tuktuk drivers on hand to assist the passengers in their onward travel after getting off the bus.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

The Mayors son will be 'on hand' to keep the peace & make face as well as get his mug in the papers

And to make sure there are plenty of tuktuk drivers on hand to assist the passengers in their onward travel after getting off the bus.

At what cost, I wonder...

• 2 weeks later...

Offer him a paddy field up country, lets see if he takes it. Hard field work Vs imtimidating and fleecing tourists, whilst seemingly having immunity to do so!

Working in a hot rice field all day when you can sleep in your tuk-tuk all day and drive tourists around a few hours in the night and charge them 500 bath pr. km thumbsup.gif

Well, if you not accept their ridiculous high price you can always walk, tuk-tuk mafia stick together and the next in line have the same price bah.gif

As it is at the moment, it's a total farce.

You choose to take the bus from the airport which dumps you off at Ban Zaan markets [on the side of the muddy road,/dustbowl when not wet!! i presume] where you will be surrounded by the tuk-tuk vultures.and face near the same scenario as arriving at the airport where the taxi vultures are waiting..

If you are travelling with minimal baggage, and your accomodation is nearby, you can walk..OK this can work, but in reality for what % of travellers?

If you are out of walking distance and or have a lot of/heavy baggage you are at their mercy basically and the quoted prices will reflect this..so add min 2-300 baht to your 120baht bus fare just to travelling Patong area..min 320-420+baht..

May as well take the 150baht vans from the airport direct to your hotel etc [but suffer the inevitable ''stop-offs'' on the way] but still probably quicker and easier.

If you want to travel to kata, chalong,rawai etc, you may as well bite the bullet and get ripped off by the airport taxis and get a direct ride from the airport

This sure is no ''Magic Bus'' [thanks Pete Townsend]smile.png

Its doomed to failure IMO...

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

You choose to take the bus from the airport which dumps you off at Ban Zaan markets [on the side of the muddy road,/dustbowl when not wet!! i presume] where you will be surrounded by the tuk-tuk vultures.and face near the same scenario as arriving at the airport where the taxi vultures are waiting..

If you are travelling with minimal baggage, and your accomodation is nearby, you can walk..OK this can work, but in reality for what % of travellers?

If you are out of walking distance and or have a lot of/heavy baggage you are at their mercy basically and the quoted prices will reflect this..so add min 2-300 baht to your 120baht bus fare just to travelling Patong area..min 320-420+baht..

May as well take the 150baht vans from the airport direct to your hotel etc [but suffer the inevitable ''stop-offs'' on the way] but still probably quicker and easier.

If you want to travel to kata, chalong,rawai etc, you may as well bite the bullet and get ripped off by the airport taxis and get a direct ride from the airport

In stead of slagging it off you could also see it as a positive development and a start. I know the Kata tuktuk drivers see it as a start, which is why they are against it.

Well, if you not accept their ridiculous high price you can always walk, tuk-tuk mafia stick together and the next in line have the same price bah.gif

That's exactly what I did about 11 years ago. I asked a tuk-tuk driver how much to go from the Patong Post Office to Sea Pearl hotel. I can't remember how much it was but it seemed too high, so I said "No thanks, I'll walk" and he said in a very loud, aggressive voice: "Yes. You walk!"

That's the last time I even thought about using one. Now, of course, I have a pick-up and a bike. So screw them.

Many moons ago i thought i would try the airport mini bus from airport to Patong you tell driver where you want to be dropped off etc bus is full we set off from airport usual stop off then into Patong he drops people off at various hotels drives passed my hotel and after all passengers are off apart from me we are on the Beach rd" where you go" he asks i tell him again "you take tuk tuk"he says so i'm not happy chuck myself and bag out of bus and take tuk tuk.

My hotel was on the road back to the airport no other way for him to go.

No more mini bus for me after that thanks

drives passed my hotel

At this point you are supposed to tell him to stop so you can get out.

Rubbish, i never heard one person tell him to stop what if you dont know Patong it's your first visit? anyway thats beside the point i paid to go to my hotel he had to pass the hotel on his return to the airport.

He was just putting me in my place

In stead of slagging it off you could also see it as a positive development and a start. I know the Kata tuktuk drivers see it as a start, which is why they are against it.

OK ..yes it is a start.....positive.??..Sorry but if you are honest as my opinion is there is no positive ....as i outlined in my post ..no use pretending is there...

OK ..yes it is a start.....positive.??..Sorry but if you are honest as my opinion is there is no positive ....as i outlined in my post ..no use pretending is there...

So the start is not a positive? You're looking really short term here at the service offered now, even the tuktuk drivers are looking further here than the length of their noses (which is already very short with most Thais).