Atm Card Thailand Problem--solution Found!

On an earlier topic, I was asking for help in figuring out why my U.S. bank-issued ATM card wouldn't work in Thailand... I summarized the replies, and my bank (Wells Fargo Bank) told me there IS a "fraud alert" for ATM cards in Thailand.

But, they offer something called an "OVERSEES / INTERNATIONAL" ATM card, they are sending me by DHL, which will work here, supposedly, without problems. I don't know if all banks offer this option. Thanks again for your earlier helpful replies!

On an earlier topic, I was asking for help in figuring out why my U.S. bank-issued ATM card wouldn't work in Thailand... I summarized the replies, and my bank (Wells Fargo Bank) told me there IS a "fraud alert" for ATM cards in Thailand.

But, they offer something called an "OVERSEES / INTERNATIONAL" ATM card, they are sending me by DHL, which will work here, supposedly, without problems. I don't know if all banks offer this option. Thanks again for your earlier helpful replies!

I used mine there as recently as January and had no trouble. Mine has; PLUS, interlink, STAR.

Please let us know how you do. I'm interested if Wells Fargo is alone in this or if there are other banks.

I don't know how it would protect against fraud... but my HUNCH is, and it's admittedly based on NOTHING, but maybe the banks don't want millions of working ATM cards floating around this part of the world... by issuing only a few "OVERSEAS" atm cards, only to those who specifically request them, there are far fewer cards to have to worry about.

Just curious to know if anyone else knew that some banks issue these special "overseas" atm cards. I didn't know about it, and wished someone at my bank suggested it a while ago, before I got hit with a bunch of emergency wire transfer fees from Western Union.

I don't know how it would protect against fraud... but my HUNCH is, and it's admittedly based on NOTHING, but maybe the banks don't want millions of working ATM cards floating around this part of the world... by issuing only a few "OVERSEAS" atm cards, only to those who specifically request them, there are far fewer cards to have to worry about.

Just curious to know if anyone else knew that some banks issue these special "overseas" atm cards. I didn't know about it, and wished someone at my bank suggested it a while ago, before I got hit with a bunch of emergency wire transfer fees from Western Union.

In the 7 years I have lived in Asia, using a BofA ATM card at least once or twice a month the entire time, I have never heard of a special "overseas" ATM card. It has never happened to me, but I have heard of cards being frozen when the first overseas withdrawal request hit. In every case I have been told about, a phone call to the bank’s service center establishing the fact that it is a legitimate withdrawal fixes the problem

TH

Australian banks have a fraud alert for se asian countries as I contacted my bank and they advised to check for skimming devices at ATM terminals. If you advise them of which countries you are visiting a note will be placed on your account so it will be monitored for unusual transactions.

They did say that most customers would not have any problems.

I second david96's comments. Always advise your bank if you are leaving Australia to go overseas. Advise them what countries you will be visiting (and using your debit or credit card), when you will be leaving Australia and your date of return and they will 'flag' that information on their computers.

It is also handy to check what your daily ATM withdrawal limits are for each of your accounts and finally - to check what the bank charges are for using an overseas ATM. I also recommend setting up online banking before you leave your home country so you can regularly check your account balances online in case there are any disputed transactions.

A little bit of forward planning will make for a better holiday.

Peter