Coconut Flower Syrup At Tops

Joop50

When you are interested in a very good alternative for all kind of sweeteners, I found coconut flower syrup at Tops in Airport plaza. I read about the good health qualities but couldn't find it till now. It's a liquid form like honey, 270 gr. 129 baht. At the end of the 5thor 6th line left eye high. Among other high potassium and low glycemic index (35).
http://www.coconutsecret.com/Tappingthesap2.html

Does the label indicate the country product is from? If product is from China do not expect the contents to be anywhere close to the Phillipine products web site. As you know the Chinese are masters of deception and proud of it.

Chiwadi brand Thailand.

If not reduced to syrup, it can ferment in one day to "toddy', palm wine or "tuba" about 9% alc. really refershing served ice cold. the next day it becomes a light vinegar. I have never seen it in Thailand.

Sounds interesting. I use raw palm sugar which also has a low glycemic index (35), but a healthy liquid sweetner would be a lot more convenient for my uses.

I used it for 10 days before I desided to share it because I am convinced it is a good product. I am/was pre diabetic myself and in contrast to coconut sugar I experience no negatif reactions. The taste is mild, soft sweet - not agressive and satisfies my sweet needs.

I'm not so sure about the reliablity of that GI number for coconut palm syrup. According to what I've read, that number came from a one time trial conducted by some branch of the Philippine govt. It was a one time thing conducted on only 10 people. Generally, to establish the glycemic index of a food, multiple studies are done What's more, coconut palm sugar is 70-79 percent sucrose (table sugar). Which has a glycemic index of 80. There can be anywhere from 3-9 percent each of fructose and glucose in the syrup as well. I'm not saying it's not true, but there is not a lot of backing for that figure.

I'm not so sure about the reliablity of that GI number for coconut palm syrup. According to what I've read, that number came from a one time trial conducted by some branch of the Philippine govt. It was a one time thing conducted on only 10 people. Generally, to establish the glycemic index of a food, multiple studies are done What's more, coconut palm sugar is 70-79 percent sucrose (table sugar). Which has a glycemic index of 80. There can be anywhere from 3-9 percent each of fructose and glucose in the syrup as well. I'm not saying it's not true, but there is not a lot of backing for that figure.

interesting.. and from what I can tell

Palm Sugar

Coconut Sugar

Coconut flower syrup

are all basically the same thing but marketed in different forms. Some slight differences in processing for taste and appearance.

Palm Sugar

Coconut Sugar

Coconut flower syrup

are all basically the same thing but marketed in different forms. Some slight differences in processing for taste and appearance.

Palm sugar, is usually from a different type of palm, the sugar palm, the product is the bright yellow stuff. Coconut flower sugar is different but may be very similar in nutritional value.

Remarkable one advertises with a quality between fats but doesn't believe there is a significant quality difference between sugars.

Edited by Joop50

Remarkable one advertises with a quality between fats but doesn't believe there is a significant quality difference between sugars.

a lot of the time a lower GI number for a sugar just indicates its more from Fructose so its preferentially processed by the liver instead of staying in the bloodstream until being co transported into cells with secreted insulin.

That can be good until the liver is full then its worse because the liver shuttles what it cannot store for fat storage via triglycerides.

Fatty acids and Amino acids are essential nutrients..while sugars (carbohydrates) have no minimum RDA levels for consumption because they are not essential.

"Carbohydrates are not necessary building blocks of other molecules, and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate

Actually, that's the exact opposite of what I wrote. The gist was that palm sugar is mostly sucrose which has a GI of 80. So how can palm sugar have a GI of 35? Now, since it's a syrup and partly water, that may lower the GI somewhat. What's more, I didn't assert that the number is inaccurate, just that it seemed peculiar and is thinly backed.

As for fats, I have never claimed any particular health benefit for butter. Apparently it's better (or less worse) for you than trans fats. It seems pretty clear that as far as health benefits go, olive oil and fish oils are better. I wouldn't want to eat a cookie made with fish oil, though. Would you? Our claims for the superiority of butter rest on its flavor. That's how we differentiate it from other fats. Not on its health benefits. And even then, there are people who seem to prefer margarine or white vegetable to butter. Which is fine with me. There's no quarreling with taste. Our appeal is to people who agree with our proposition.

• Like 1

Palm Sugar

Coconut Sugar

Coconut flower syrup

Palm sugar, is usually from a different type of palm, the sugar palm, the product is the bright yellow stuff. Coconut flower sugar is different but may be very similar in nutritional value.

Coconut palm syrup is harvested from the flowers, palm syrup is harvested from date or sugar palm tree tapping. Different quality and glycemic index/load.

Edited by Joop50

Palm Sugar

Coconut Sugar

Coconut flower syrup

Coconut palm syrup is harvested from the flowers, palm syrup is harvested from date or sugar palm tree tapping. Different quality and glycemic index/load.

I think its more semantics as the flower is tapped and prevented from becoming a coconut.

What is the fructose, sucrose, glucose breakdown?

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_palm_sugar.htm

From what I could find, the sugar content is somewhat variable. Sucrose anywhere from 70-79 percent, glucose and fructose each from 3-9 percent. Now this figure is for the sugar in its dried form with most of the water evaporated out. The syrup must have somewhat more water but not much.

• 8 months later...