Us Visa Helpful Suggestion

I am new to forum and i thought i'd give a little helpful suggestion that i think helped tremendously in my wife getting her 10yr US B1/B2 visa

we contacted my local congressman and they wrote a letter of support on US Congress letterhead.

they actually send the letter directly to the Consulate General and give you a copy to bring with you to the interview

My wife said that the interviewed spent some time reading the support letter.

Just a thought people might want to try for themselves. it can't hurt, that is for sure

Actually, it can hurt. No one, including ConOffs, really appreciate pressure brought from On High. Such might just make the interviewing ConOff look more carefully at a questionable case and if there's a flaw that might have skated by, notice it and result in a visa denial.

I reckon the pressure is better brought to bare in case of a denial.

Mac

Actually, it can hurt. No one, including ConOffs, really appreciate pressure brought from On High. Such might just make the interviewing ConOff look more carefully at a questionable case and if there's a flaw that might have skated by, notice it and result in a visa denial.

I reckon the pressure is better brought to bare in case of a denial.

Mac

pretty valid point Mac

but i was more confident with her going in with that support letter being in her documents than not

the letter was more about my family history in the community so i guess more about me than her

again, i think it helped in our case and maybe an idea for some

but your point is a good one to think about also

Without commenting on the OP's particular situation I tend to agree with Mac. If you and your family really have standing in the community, you should be able to document that without the intervention of a Member of Congress. The people at the US Embassy in Bangkok are savvy and know that the letter was actually written by a person on the Member's staff and signed by the Member without reading it or maybe even by an automated signature machine.

I found out while going through the immigration process with my wife, that each congressperson has an immigration liaison on staff. They must get alot of inquiries. They even had a standard privacy release form to fill out. I've rarely seen them get any results though. At least in immigrant visa cases. Not sure about non-immigrant visas.

About 10 years ago contact from a congressman did not help my wife get a visa while I was in states working.

Since I was not staying here full time they turned her down for being what they considered an immigrant.

Edited by ubonjoe

Without commenting on the OP's particular situation I tend to agree with Mac. If you and your family really have standing in the community, you should be able to document that without the intervention of a Member of Congress. The people at the US Embassy in Bangkok are savvy and know that the letter was actually written by a person on the Member's staff and signed by the Member without reading it or maybe even by an automated signature machine.

that was 100% my experience

my wife got the visa and seem to think it helped, but i guess i will never know