Where To Buy Powdered Mexican Chilies

zippydedodah

We brought a large supply of powdered chilies from USA, but sadly we are running out. If you cook mexican food (or even appreciate it) you probably know what i am talking about. Thais do not have dried chili powder the way mexicans do... that are not necessarily spicy yet provide lots of flavor.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased in CM?

I think I saw some McCormik brand chili powder at Kasem store, don't know if it is the salted, adulterated kind or the real deal. I miss the milder flavor chiles here, poblano, pasillo, anaheim etc....... I have used paprica as a substitute on occasion.

Basically just add some cumin to your basic chillies and you are most of the way there...

---

Wiki - Chili powder blend is composed chiefly of chili peppers and blended with other spices including cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.[1][2]

---

About.com -

• 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder

---

Food.com -

1 1/2 ounces dried red chilies, medium heat,preferably ancho and new mexican, toasted and ground

2 -5 dried red chilies, of greater heat,to taste (like Chile de arbol or cayenne), toasted and ground

1 1/2-2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground

1 1/2-2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon ground oregano (preferably Mexican)

Basically just add some cumin to your basic chillies and you are most of the way there...

---

Wiki - Chili powder blend is composed chiefly of chili peppers and blended with other spices including cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.[1][2]

---

About.com -

• 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon oregano

---

Food.com -

1 1/2 ounces dried red chilies, medium heat,preferably ancho and new mexican, toasted and ground

2 -5 dried red chilies, of greater heat,to taste (like Chile de arbol or cayenne), toasted and ground

That is the gringo style, the real stuff is pure ground mild chiles a good Mex grocery will have about 6 varieties, used as a sauce base for enchiladas. If you use a hot ground chile (prik bon) in the quantity required for a good sauce, it would be way too hot.

---

---

About.com -

• 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon oregano

---

Food.com -

That is the gringo style, the real stuff is pure ground mild chiles a good Mex grocery will have about 6 varieties, used as a sauce base for enchiladas. If you use a hot ground chile (prik bon) in the quantity required for a good sauce, it would be way too hot.

yes, i could not agree more... not what i am looking for, except that the info might be useful in a pinch.

Last time my daughter visited she went to the mexican grocery and just grabbed 2-4 of everything on the shelves... ended up with about 10 different types of powders and that has lasted us for 2 yrs...but down to the last couple of bags now and wife is commenting that the flavor seems "off". Wife is Thai, but my mexican mom taught her to cook, old school and the wife does a bang-up job of it... IF she can get the right ingredients...

oh well... looks like a call to US and a care package are in my future.

I have dried whole mexican chillies.. I was actually going to soak them to rehydrate, then put into a blender together with some fresh Jalapenos to turn them into a paste, and then freeze. That's how I usually make chili con carne; big chunks of beef and a baggie of my chili paste and not much else.

They are the mildly hot type as I was going for flavor first; can always add fire, but a lot more difficult to go the other way. Note that the larger dried Thai chillies also aren't super hot, as are Jalapenos after removing the seeds and white bits.

I do typically add cumin, oregano, garlic, and other spices to the paste so it's ready to go for chili con carne, but I suppose I could also keep it 'clean' with chili only.

I have dried whole mexican chillies.. I was actually going to soak them to rehydrate, then put into a blender together with some fresh Jalapenos to turn them into a paste, and then freeze. That's how I usually make chili con carne; big chunks of beef and a baggie of my chili paste and not much else.

They are the mildly hot type as I was going for flavor first; can always add fire, but a lot more difficult to go the other way. Note that the larger dried Thai chillies also aren't super hot, as are Jalapenos after removing the seeds and white bits.

I do typically add cumin, oregano, garlic, and other spices to the paste so it's ready to go for chili con carne, but I suppose I could also keep it 'clean' with chili only.

hey winnie

where did you get dried whole mexican chilies? Grow them yourself?

it is the different flavors i am after...not the heat. As you note, heat can always be added after. For the right flavored enchilada sauce, relleno sauce, mole sauce, etc... you need some fairly specific mexican (or new mexico) chili flavors...i am mildly surprised that no one is growing and selling mexican chili here...

but then, from a trip 2 yrs ago to Cali, we brought back about 10 packs of chili seeds to grow and the wife has just never gotten around to it... so i have no one to blame but myself....

yes, i could not agree more... not what i am looking for, except that the info might be useful in a pinch.

Your welcome.

ps - Don't forget that Tabasco now has a Chipotle flavoured hot sauce - a great Mexican flavour.

Personally, I bring cans of whole Chipotles back from Canada, but that Tabasco is available in CM....

hey winnie

where did you get dried whole mexican chilies? Grow them yourself?..

Mexico. smile.png

(Ok, not really, got them in the USA.)

And I actually wonder if it'll grow from the seeds.. I'll give that a try and see if some of them hatch.

Ok, germinate.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just bought some fresh jalapenos today at the doi kham store at CMU. I'm going to give them a few days to ripen, then smoke them for a few hours and dry them until I can grind them. The authentic way to smoke chipoltes calls for 48 hrs of low heat smoking, but hard to do in this heat.

Just bought some fresh jalapenos today at the doi kham store at CMU. I'm going to give them a few days to ripen, then smoke them for a few hours and dry them until I can grind them. The authentic way to smoke chipoltes calls for 48 hrs of low heat smoking, but hard to do in this heat.

Huh.. It's still Chiang Mai smog season. Just leave them outside for an hour or two. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

thanks for that link....while the spices might satisfy, the prices (for me) do not. The mexican dried spices i looked at were 3-4 times more expensive than what i know they can be purchased for in a mexican grocery in Cali. I will just stick to the plan and ask friend/family to send me a mexican spice care package.