Bonuses For Household Staff?

newlythai

What I'd like to know is how much is a fair monthly wage. My helper gets 12,000 baht/mo, a lot more than other Thais in my office. She doesn't cook, she works M-F 8am to 4pm. She has every Thai holiday off and 50 (paid) vacation days a year when we go back home for the summer. Some of these posts make me feel like I don't do enough for my housekeeper as I can't afford all these bonuses!

-

Mine's at 250 per day, no pay for days off for any reason. Not really hard work most of the time, maybe 3-4 actual working hours per day, but on call 24x7, cooks, cleans takes care of small children, shuttles them upcountry to visit their mum or the ex-in-laws as needed.

So yours has a pretty cushy deal.

To those talking about "spoiling" staff, or equating bonuses to "tips", note that with many many jobs it is completely normal for Thais to get a very large bonus once per year, not based on individual performance but overall economic performance of the factory or business.

It is not rare for this annual bonus to be as much as several months' salary.

Nothing to do with per-individual performance bonuses or tipping or spoiling, just another way to structure compensation to try to encourage staff to stick around long-term, which along with regular attendance is often the most challenging aspect to employing Thais.

Most Thai's would like you to believe that a bonus is normal yearly. Most people here are WRONG but if they do it's normally 50% of one months salary or 100% (1 months Salary) based on performance or you have a good tender heart, it makes you feel good, whatever - this is once a year. If you want to be nice and split the bonus between holidays and end of year feel free but it is not normal to bonus lower level staff. Managers and sales get bonuses, everything else is what they want you to believe.

Edited by commande

I give a bonus of 2-months' salary, cash in an envelope when they are getting on the bus upcountry to visit their families for Songkran holiday.

They understand this is for the previous calendar year's above-expected performance and their agreement to give at least two months' notice.

And their regular salary is already very low, these bonuses really only put them over the minimum wage (not counting room and board).

I have found this type of arrangement works very well for both sides.

How much is the monthly salary if may ask?

We bonus our maid(s) for every full year she/they have been here, somewhere between 50% and 100% of a month pay (which may be 25 to 50 satang gold). On top, we often tip (money) when they may have extra work (gusts etc.) or if they are going somewhere, like shopping at local market or cinema, 100 or 200 baht. If going home for Song Kran and the like, we will support their traveling costs, fx. bus fare each way, and give between 1,000 and 2,000 baht extra cash. The gifts and tips may be appreciated more than a pay rise with no extra. In general, not overpaying, but be fair and show respect for their work, imply happy staff who will stay with your for long time and take good care of their masters house.

Most Thai's would like you to believe that a bonus is normal yearly. Most people here are WRONG but if they do it's normally 50% of one months salary or 100% (1 months Salary) based on performance or you have a good tender heart, it makes you feel good, whatever - this is once a year. If you want to be nice and split the bonus between holidays and end of year feel free but it is not normal to bonus lower level staff. Managers and sales get bonuses, everything else is what they want you to believe.

-

It is very normal in certain sectors, particularly factory work.

Just google "Thailand factory bonus", here's some sample results:

"In addition to regular wages and overtime, permanent workers also received an annual bonus. The annual bonus in 2005 was a 3 month bonus plus 3,000 baht."

"The workers then claimed that the company was making more than 3 billion THB in revenue, but still was offering a meager 1-month bonus salary for 20-year employees.

They said other companies in the Laem Chabang industrial estate are more generous, giving their 20-year employees bonus ranging from 3 to 5 months pay, based on company profits."

"Additionally, it is customary in Thailand that all employees receive end of the year bonuses of up the three months pay, dependent upon the performance of both the individual and the company."

-

I completely acknowledge that this isn't the norm for domestic staff, but since longevity and very long notice are critical for my personal situation, I highly recommend the practice for that arena as well - just pay less per month and make up for it with an annual bonus, subject to the terms you require.

-

It is very normal in certain sectors, particularly factory work.

Just google "Thailand factory bonus", here's some sample results:

"In addition to regular wages and overtime, permanent workers also received an annual bonus. The annual bonus in 2005 was a 3 month bonus plus 3,000 baht."

"The workers then claimed that the company was making more than 3 billion THB in revenue, but still was offering a meager 1-month bonus salary for 20-year employees.

They said other companies in the Laem Chabang industrial estate are more generous, giving their 20-year employees bonus ranging from 3 to 5 months pay, based on company profits."

"Additionally, it is customary in Thailand that all employees receive end of the year bonuses of up the three months pay, dependent upon the performance of both the individual and the company."

-

I completely acknowledge that this isn't the norm for domestic staff, but since longevity and very long notice are critical for my personal situation, I highly recommend the practice for that arena as well - just pay less per month and make up for it with an annual bonus, subject to the terms you require.

I can agree with some of what you are saying and referencing here based on a google search and can also appreciate that you took the time to search Google. Believe me though everything you find on Google is not the truth BUT in the same regard my experience is definitely not the good word so to speak representing 100% of what goes on in the world. There are exceptions to many rules, I know many very wealthy Thai's in Bangkok that own manufacturing companies, etc. Only the best of the best get big bonuses, one of my friends actually bought his sales employee some land and a house because he sold so much stuff in one year. It happens but it's not common.

Bottom line and what I would suggest is treat your staff fairly and with respect, you don't have to shower them with money and gifts although they are nice, if you want to just do so with measure and reason so that it doesn't become an expectation.

No worries, wayned. No silver spoon here ... but maybe someday.

Rotary, that "busy" spouse would be me. Unfortunately creating accounts for forums doesn't handle itself.

We are very happy with our staff. We don't mind doing extra for them, as they certainly go above and beyond for us.

Thanks again for the input, all.

Trust me , these people only understand one rule. The moment you show a sign of kindness to them, they will take it as a sign of weakness and will try to screw you . Do it the Thai way. Treat them like slaves. Sadly it is the only language they understand.

sorry, but I can not trust your thinking

weakness and kindness not same thing

we understand many language, maybe you have to open your mind?

do you have driver and maid? maybe not?

maybe you make slave of your wife?

My wife a slave ? Sure, she would be the first slave with Birkin bags, Patek Phillipe watches and a Merc .

We have had dozens of maids( Thais, Burmese,Filipinas,Laotians...) and drivers, always treated them very well, paid them way over the average , and without an exception they always ended not showing up one day for no reason or lying through their teeth.

kdw, thats what we pay ours, but they both work Saturdays and longer hours during the week. They both cook, clean and take care of children. They both have all Thai holidays, and we pay overtime if they come to help (which is always). We also round overtime hours up (4 hours' pay for 3.5, extra hour pay if we are out very late). If I were you (and I'm far from an expert!), I would spell out that those paid vacation days during your holiday are the bonus.

without an exception they always ended not showing up one day for no reason or lying through their teeth.

-

Sorry for your troubles, I always make sure to weed out those with any dishonesty very early - it's true you usually only get one keeper out of a dozen tries.

And just build into their compensation system that they lose a lot of money if they don't show up, or even quit with little notice.

I also hope you find ways to happier in your own skin at some point down the road. . .

Me and the wife pay for the bus tickets for them to go north for 2 weeks full pay

Further 3 k each spending money

Good security guard and cleaner

13.500 b each salary a month 6 weeks holiday a year .

I spend songkran in Bangkok so if any of you lad are about ill be in Centara grandcentral world till 25th if you fancy a beer and meet up

MSG me

Trust me , these people only understand one rule. The moment you show a sign of kindness to them, they will take it as a sign of weakness and will try to screw you . Do it the Thai way. Treat them like slaves. Sadly it is the only language they understand.

It is very obvious that you do know nothing about Thailand, Thai culture or indeed anything about life...

• Like 1

Our nanny just got a raise to 16,000 baht per month, one month salary as a bonus per year- 3 years excellent service with us so far and we dont want to lose her. Plus , they are looking after your kids, you WANT them to feel spoiled and appreciated, its a critical job! Driver 14 k, another maid/cook 13k. May have to cut back next year if/when i lose my current contract!!

Edited by ExpatJ
  • Like 1

Our nanny just got a raise to 16,000 baht per month, one month salary as a bonus per year- 3 years excellent service with us so far and we dont want to lose her. Plus , they are looking after your kids, you WANT them to feel spoiled and appreciated, its a critical job! Driver 14 k, another maid/cook 13k. May have to cut back next year if/when i lose my current contract!!

-

In Bangkok, I'd say you're getting a bargain, especially if the nanny has any level of English at all, but even if not.

No one can say another person is over-paying, it's all relative to their means, the social context, perceived value etc. just like the "is Villa Market a ripoff?" thread. . .

• Like 1

It is very obvious that you do know nothing about Thailand, Thai culture or indeed anything about life...

I only lived in this country for almost 20 years.

Not correct. We have had many local domestic help and always treated them all very kindly like own family. In return, they have served us very sincerely. But i do agree that from what i have observed, the thais and especially those of Chinese origin, do not treat their domestic help very well. But would not go so far to say that they are treated like slaves.

But i do agree that from what i have observed, the thais and especially those of Chinese origin, do not treat their domestic help very well.

-

And in fact if you hire a good one that's come from that environment they will be very loyal, willing to follow you to the ends of the earth if they can out of gratitude for your better treatment.

Analogous to the truth within the spin of why so many TG think farang make better husbands. . .

What I'd like to know is how much is a fair monthly wage. My helper gets 12,000 baht/mo, a lot more than other Thais in my office. She doesn't cook, she works M-F 8am to 4pm. She has every Thai holiday off and 50 (paid) vacation days a year when we go back home for the summer. Some of these posts make me feel like I don't do enough for my housekeeper as I can't afford all these bonuses!

The 50 (paid) vacation days should not count because it is not her choice. Because you are going away on a vacation, she gets it. But you are giving her a very good salary and terms. You havent mentioned if you are satisfied with what you get in return.

I do hope your attitude will rub off on all the Thais you meet, and you get a taste of your own medicine.

• Like 2