Ais 3G 2100 Roll Out In Pattaya

kbelyeu

TVF,

Anyone have any details if AIS is planning to extend the 2100 3G coverage for Pattaya in April? I was reading that AIS had moved the 3G 2100 roll out date to mid April but it didn't specify the areas.

Regards,

Kurt

Maybe check in with an AIS shop? AFAIK they are marketing this directly to existing high ARPU customers (read: post-paid) for obvious reasons, you should have already received an SMS if you are a target customer.

Thailand’s Advanced Info Service (AIS) has revealed a plan to soft launch 2100MHz 3G mobile services on 9 April 2013 ahead of a scheduled commercial launch on 8 May. AIS, which had 4.5 million 3G 900MHz network users at the beginning of January, is targeting a total of eight million 3G subscribers by the end of the year, while its 2100MHz rollout is expected to reach 50% population coverage by mid-year, 80% by the start of 2014 and 97% coverage within three years.

Google translate of a Thai article:

AIS Open Enrollment Request and 2100 MHz bands.

Thu, Mar 14, 2013 11:58 am.News.
AIS has released the first ad on 2100 MHz and 3G spectrum that will be available prior to the recent Festival of AIS was open for registration through SMS to 2100 MHz spectrum is available.
Once past the mid mxphone.net website reported that AIS is now open for users to register for the 2100 MHz spectrum available by Requests are made through an automated system by dialing * 988 then. Press the call and follow the instructions or dial * 988 * followed by #, which are the two methods will Notification Requests 2100 MHz spectrum as well.
From what I try the above method with a call to * 988 and follow the steps, it is automatic, let me put that card and wait for the SMS confirmation not text back, so I used a press. * # 988 * followed by the ID card was only momentarily confirmation SMS back then. By all posts by Creeps on the image displayed on the web mxphone.net content about that. "The area will be available in May 56 There will be more information on the SMS" SMS of the content that I have said. "Your number can apply for a new AIS 3G service is completed. When listening to the AIS 3G enabled in your applications. "
I do not know the ID number into the AIS system to verify the identity and address of our bill. Or the information on the card to check the area.
Edited by lomatopo

Maybe check in with an AIS shop? AFAIK they are marketing this directly to existing high ARPU customers (read: post-paid) for obvious reasons, you should have already received an SMS if you are a target customer.

Thailand’s Advanced Info Service (AIS) has revealed a plan to soft launch 2100MHz 3G mobile services on 9 April 2013 ahead of a scheduled commercial launch on 8 May. AIS, which had 4.5 million 3G 900MHz network users at the beginning of January, is targeting a total of eight million 3G subscribers by the end of the year, while its 2100MHz rollout is expected to reach 50% population coverage by mid-year, 80% by the start of 2014 and 97% coverage within three years.

Google translate of a Thai article:

AIS Open Enrollment Request and 2100 MHz bands.

Thu, Mar 14, 2013 11:58 am.News.
AIS has released the first ad on 2100 MHz and 3G spectrum that will be available prior to the recent Festival of AIS was open for registration through SMS to 2100 MHz spectrum is available.
Once past the mid mxphone.net website reported that AIS is now open for users to register for the 2100 MHz spectrum available by Requests are made through an automated system by dialing * 988 then. Press the call and follow the instructions or dial * 988 * followed by #, which are the two methods will Notification Requests 2100 MHz spectrum as well.
From what I try the above method with a call to * 988 and follow the steps, it is automatic, let me put that card and wait for the SMS confirmation not text back, so I used a press. * # 988 * followed by the ID card was only momentarily confirmation SMS back then. By all posts by Creeps on the image displayed on the web mxphone.net content about that. "The area will be available in May 56 There will be more information on the SMS" SMS of the content that I have said. "Your number can apply for a new AIS 3G service is completed. When listening to the AIS 3G enabled in your applications. "
I do not know the ID number into the AIS system to verify the identity and address of our bill. Or the information on the card to check the area.

Thanks for the info.. just an FYI I am a post paid customer but due to my current location of about 100 kilometers off the coast of South America I unfortunately don't get a signal. Again.. thanks for the info.. I have a nice new HTC Butterfly but the phone requires the 2100 band to run on 3G.

Regards,

Kurt

There was a brief in The Nation yesterday saying AIS had "soft launched" its 3G 2100 Mhz service in BKK and the main cities in 18 other provinces. No other details and info in that very brief mention.

The AIS website has had a link to pre-register for their 3G 2100 Mhz service for some time. When I did that a week or so ago, I got an SMS back from AIS saying that service wouldn't be available in my area of BKK until May (which presumably is their official launch date as opposed to the current soft launch).

When I scanned mobile networks on my 2100 Mhz 3G phone in BKK this morning, I didn't see any new mobile network name that I recognized as a new AIS service. But then again, I don't know what mobile network name it will begin showing up under.

Just tried calling the *988 number. Automated system that gives an English voice message by pressing 1.

Asked for passport number to pre-register for their 3G. Entered number,and got a message saying cannot process your request at this time.

A moment later, got an SMS on my mobile from AIS saying "You have already registered for "Pre-Registration for Upgrading to AIS 3G." You will be contacted again once AIS 3G is available in your area."

The part about already having pre-registered was because, as I had mentioned, a week or two ago, I used a link on the AIS website to pre-register for their new 3G service, and completed that process online at the time. As best as I recall, I only got to that link after logging into their "E-Service" portal for registered customers -- not from their public website.

However, I'm also an AIS post-paid customer and have been for a couple years. Apart from me having taken the initiative to pre-register with AIS, I've received nothing from them in the way of information/advisories/promotions on the new service thus far through any channel -- my monthly mailed bills, SMS, email, etc etc...

So I'm wondering, what exactly does "soft launch" mean? Maybe The Nation article was moving a bit faster than AIS actually bringing up their new 2100 Mhz 3G network.

Here's the link you see once you've logged into AIS' E-Service portal, same today as I saw a week or two ago.

post-58284-0-67555400-1365566446_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

soft launch means they still dont have 3G, just the same bullshit as all these years when they told us they have 3G whereas in reality Edge from DTAC is faster than 3G from AIS (a running joke on the Thai webboards and tested by myself in central Bangkok)

I am a target customer. So they told me to upgrade. Turned out that meant a visit to an AIS shop, in person, please bring your passport and plenty of time.

I chose the Serenade Shop in Central World and was treated to a glass of water and an extremely incompetent girl. It took her one hour to exchange my SIM cards (I have several). 10 days later I got a SMS from AIS inviting me to upgrade my SIM to 3G 2100 MHz. So I called the call center and was told that one of my SIM cards had been cancelled by the girl in Central World (not true, it works fine), the others had not been upgraded and anyway, an upgrade would mean cancelling some of my current value-added services.

So I friendly declined and told them that I will stick with True Move H - in central Bangkok, True Move H has 3G most of the time.

But I will inquire again about AIS 3G 2100 MHz in a year or two.

Just went to Seranade at Central Chidlom today to register for 3G (apparently it needs to be done) and I received an SMS saying that I had been registered and that I would be contacted again in May when the network would be available in my area. (Sukhumvit).

You don't need a new sim card

ps. Just came back from Europe where 4G was in use at very low rates compared with Thailand. Amazing.

Sent from my V972 Core4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by petedk

Sorry, your post above is a bit unclear..

Are you saying the AIS staff were telling you they'd need to issue you new SIM cards in order to access AIS's 2100 Mhz 3G system? That you couldn't use the new system (whenever it's turned on) with your existing AIS SIM cards?

That is at least what they told me. I pre registered, then got a message that the service will be available at my location, East Pattaya, mid May and that I should go to any AIS or Telewiz shop to change my sim free of charge.

• 3 weeks later...

AIS 3G will officially lauch in Pattaya in May as I heard, but you may need to register for upgrading first.

> check out the first coverage. http://www.ais.co.th/3g/index_area-en.html

> You can register your number just dialing *988 from phone or log in AIS eService to do that https://aiseservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb/ (If you're using AIS SIM on Tablets or iPad)