License Check Pattaya With A Twist

yankee99

I very much doubt any of these volunteers can read Thai so what is the point of handing them your documents that are of coarse written in Thai,it's just more people in jobs that they are not really qualified to do ,nothing new there really half the country seems to be filled with people in job positions which involves things they simply don't have a clue about.Some read and speak Thai quite well actually, many don't. Since they work side by side with Thai police, if you hand them Thai documents then of course the Thai's will read it. I am curious though what Thai documents you are talking about. A DL is in English and Thai, a green book is in Thai, but an farangs name will be with roman letters. I don't read much Thai but the rest of the info in a book I am able to discern because I am familiar with green and blue books, I am sure the volli's are too.

all my vehicles are in the wifes name so they are not even gonna be able to read who the owner of the vehicle is my insurance documents are also in thai so yes unless they read thai pretty pointless handing them a bunch of documents in thai.Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
taninthai, please pay attention to the quotes. I did not say what you have me saying in your post. You said that.Firstly, have you actually had any cop ask you for your green or blue book in the LOS? You are not required to carry it. So what "bunch of Thai documents" are you handing over? 13 years driving all over Thailand I never have nor have I ever heard of anyone having to show their book as long as they had a plate, current tax disk, and license. Most people don't carry their book with their bike or car. I don't.Secondly, anyone can compare the name on a Thai ID to that on a book without being able to read Thai. As for the tax, the only tax you need to show is the compulsory tax disk, which one only needs to be able to read "2556" or "2557" and if it's in the current year, then you need to be able to read the month which isn't difficult to learn, or, as the volli mentioned did, use a cheat sheet until you do learn. If you are handing over your voluntary 1st class insurance documents or other documents at check points, then you are doing so unnecessarily.
i have been asked for a copy [of my book] several times and believe its required. It makes sense as how would they know who owns the bike without it? Edited by yankee99

Thank you Yankee the original or a copy should be carried at all times

I'm pretty sure nomad Joe has admitted here before he was a copper in farang land obviously police don't like admitting there wrong and think they know everything just my opinion of coarse and apologies nomad Joe if you were never a policeman I may have you mixed up with someone else

Edited by taninthai

i have been asked for a copy [of my book] several times and believe its required. It makes sense as how would they know who owns the bike without it?

Yes off-course you have to have a copy of the green book on you at all times, as you said it's proof of ownership.

Also in the West you have to carry this.

Technically they can confiscate your bike until ownership is proved, this way they recover many stolen Thai bikes when they stop youngsters and they can't prove ownership, the police take it and later check if the bike is reported stolen or not.

They are not likely to check this if you come in full riding gear on your big bike, as believe it or not those guys are not stupid but there are no guaranties.

I'm pretty sure nomad Joe has admitted here before he was a copper in farang land obviously police don't like admitting there wrong and think they know everything just my opinion of coarse and apologies nomad Joe if you were never a policeman I may have you mixed up with someone else

copy should be there i have been asked for it. Today i went to get new road tax and the lady there told me to keep a copy of the green book with me.

Anyway i have no problems with foreigners doing this kind of work. If they like it let them not my problem. I wont encounter them here in my neck of the woods.

I got a call one night, my ex had been stopped on my bike and the police were going to take the bike and lock her up as the bike was registered in my name on the copy of the greenbook, the police said i should keep a copy of her id and mine signed proving she was allowed to use it, had i known what i know now, i would have let them lock her up and throw away the key.

Ha-ha,

We have all the vehicles in my wife's name (2 Thai bikes + 1 truck), but since my wife have my last name, no problems.

i have been asked for a copy [of my book] several times and believe its required. It makes sense as how would they know who owns the bike without it?

Yes off-course you have to have a copy of the green book on you at all times, as you said it's proof of ownership.

Technically they can confiscate your bike until ownership is proved, this way they recover many stolen Thai bikes when they stop youngsters and they can't prove ownership, the police take it and later check if the bike is reported stolen or not.

They are not likely to check this if you come in full riding gear on your big bike, as believe it or not those guys are not stupid but there are no guaranties.

I got a call one night, my ex had been stopped on my bike and the police were going to take the bike and lock her up as the bike was registered in my name on the copy of the greenbook, the police said i should keep a copy of her id and mine signed proving she was allowed to use it, had i known what i know now, i would have let them lock her up and throw away the key.

this makes no sense, i guess your girlfriend said to them like bike is belong to farang so they call you in for some extra cash i guesslaugh.png

Otherwise, it is never illegal for someone to ride a bike registered to another name as long as he/she has a license and there are no notice or warning about the bike like it is stolen etc.

this makes no sense, i guess your girlfriend said to them like bike is belong to farang so they call you in for some extra cash i guess:lol:

Otherwise, it is never illegal for someone to ride a bike registered to another name as long as he/she has a license and there are no notice or warning about the bike like it is stolen etc.

Your right, its not illegal, the officer just said it is a good idea as there are so many bike thefts and they have no way of knowing if a bike is stolen without calling the owner, it was nothing to do with money, this was a checkpoint on a small soi that is used a lot to cut around the checkpoints they do on the railway, they catch a lot of people there with stolen bikes, the way she talks to people like police would have upset the police as well, like i said, wish they had have locked her up, my only joy is she has a new victim (and the ones he doesn't know about) now. Sorry for dragging it off topic.

guzzi850m2, on 11 Apr 2013 - 16:18, said:

yankee99, on 11 Apr 2013 - 15:59, said:

Not in California and I believe most states in America. You do not have to carry the title in the vehicle, nor a copy of it. Only the DMV registration and proof of insurance.

taninthai, on 11 Apr 2013 - 15:58, said:

...I pretty sure you are supposed to carry your greenbook for the bike at all times...

You do not need to carry your green or blue book with the vehicle. Only a copy. Edited by NomadJoe

^

Yes thats why i added pretty sure to the start of the sentence as opposed to your comment which said you do not need to carry or show book at all,i see youve changed your mind know though,gez are you always this picky...lol

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't think anyone likes admitting they are wrong. What was I wrong about again? I must have missed it.

I do find it interesting how these discussions always end the same. How people will lead the discussion away from the issue and towards personal attacks, accusations and such when they have no more argument to make. I don't "think I know everything", I just think I know a lot more than you do about this topic. I also think that generally speaking, people that have this huge overwhelming issue with farang volunteers tend to have issues generally with anyone in a position of authority because they want to behave with impunity, which seems to me more common amongst expats as there is no doubt that is why many move here. So I guess this response is normal. The number of farangs that call these volunteers when they are in trouble, and many do, will not share your opinion. Let's hope you will never need their help.

• Like 2

guzzi850m2, on 11 Apr 2013 - 16:18, said:

yankee99, on 11 Apr 2013 - 15:59, said:

Not in California and I believe most states in America. You do not have to carry the title in the vehicle, nor a copy of it. Only the DMV registration and proof of insurance.

>taninthai, on 11 Apr 2013 - 15:58, said:

...I pretty sure you are supposed to carry your greenbook for the bike at all times...

You do not need to carry your green or blue book with the vehicle. Only a copy.

In the usa the registration has the information needed to verify the vehicles legality so the title would not be needed (unlike thailands tax sticker)...Also in the last 20 years the (usa) police can instantly run a computer check on any vehicle...

On my previous bike I even had the road tax sticker under the seat with the service manual. Police never asked to see it.

When they stop me they only ever asked for my license and they don't even ask for that every time.

I never ask for the infringement because there English is not that good, they can't explain it anyway and just send me on my way without paying.

This is in Samut Prakan, voted most corrupt province in Thailand :-)

I don't think anyone likes admitting they are wrong. What was I wrong about again? I must have missed it.

I do find it interesting how these discussions always end the same. How people will lead the discussion away from the issue and towards personal attacks, accusations and such when they have no more argument to make. I don't "think I know everything", I just think I know a lot more than you do about this topic. I also think that generally speaking, people that have this huge overwhelming issue with farang volunteers tend to have issues generally with anyone in a position of authority because they want to behave with impunity, which seems to me more common amongst expats as there is no doubt that is why many move here. So I guess this response is normal. The number of farangs that call these volunteers when they are in trouble, and many do, will not share your opinion. Let's hope you will never need their help.

i really dont know what isue you have here nj i simply pointed out what is the point of handingover documents in thai to a person that cannot read thai,you then claimed that there is no need to carry yourgreenbook or show it to anyone, you then questioned whatdocuments i hand over,whats your problem, i said i was pretty sure you are supposed to carry your green book or a copywith you at all times which several posters have agreed that is correct so that is where you were wrong, obviously it is then you strarting to lead it off topic claiming people that have a problem with ferang volunters also have problem with anybody in authority which imo is leading away from the original topic, chill out dont take it all so personal you support the volunters many do not

P.s i notice you seem to think its a competition or something by you stating above that you think you know more about this topic than me, i only no what i need to no and that is that copy of green book shouldalways be with you, your just proving what i said about coppers always thinking they no best

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taninthai

^ Read the thread tanintha. You did not originally say "or a copy", and I never said you didn't have to carry a copy. I only said carrying the book or showing it is not required, and it isn't. I apologise for not mentioning that a copy of it is. I should have done this but the issue of copy's had not been brought up yet and I for some reason didn't mention it.

You asked the question "what is the point of handing over Thai documents to a farang...etc" and I was attempting to answer it. Don't ask questions if you don't want an answer.

For the rest, the reason why I am being "picky" is because you had this to say "...if some ferang asked to see my license I would be questioninghim about who he thinks he is i wouldbe showing it to him not letting him touch it and would be making sure that he knew I thought that he was a complete idiot"s." about people whom I have found to be for the most part helpful and knowledgable. Some I call friends, others I know casually, others I don't know at all but have seen on Bangla Rd. for example, pulling a drunk tourist out of a situation where he was about to be pummeled on by a bunch of Thai's. I my opinion you and many others are being far to judgmental. Get to know a few of them, even do a walk along with them which they will be happy to do, before you condemn them.

You see a uniform and are judging an entire group of people based on nothing but your own prejudices. After the names you have baselessly called them, I would think you would allow a little more discretion to someone responding to you.

I meant to say earlier that I think you are right on with this:

... half the country seems to be filled with people in job positions which involves things they simply don't have a clue about.
Edited by NomadJoe

No worries nj I don't have a problem with the volunteers helping tourists in tourist areas as you say the majority do a good job there will always be a few bad apples in there that's then up to the other volunteer and Thai police to get rid of them.

My only problem with the stops is like I said from the start I am under no obligation to let them see my personal details and information that is on all my paperwork any way nice thread and am pleased to learn something from it which is because my bikes in the wifes name I should also carry a copy of her Id card.

• Like 1

Yeah nomad, go forward.

I wonder if you are a volunteer too or not:lol:

Speaking of impunity, i think that is why we see more farang volunteers nowadays.:D they think they will get some sort of impunity i guess and i am sure some got.

I have no problems on volunteerism but i beleive it if when it is done without any remunaration or expectation. Why these farang are not volunteering in an orphanage you think? do not be naive man!

But i have to admit, i am sure there might be some few good farang among them still i do not show them my license!

Edited by loserlazer

Yeah nomad, go forward.

I wonder if you are a volunteer too or not:lol:

Speaking of impunity, i think that is why we see more farang volunteers nowadays.biggrin.png they think they will get some sort of impunity i guess and i am sure some got.

I have no problems on volunteerism but i beleive it if when it is done without any remunaration or expectation. Why these farang are not volunteering in an orphanage you think? do not be naive man!

But i have to admit, i am sure there might be some few good farang among them still i do not show them my license!

Why do you assume these farang aren't also volunteering in other ways? I know some that do.

I would love to be there when you decide not to show one your license. It will be interesting to see just how many infractions they will find you in violation of. Just so you know, they have just as much right to check your license when being directed to do so by a police officer as the police officer directing them does.

Thank you Yankee the original or a copy should be carried at all timesI'm pretty sure nomad Joe has admitted here before he was a copper in farang land obviously police don't like admitting there wrong and think they know everything just my opinion of coarse and apologies nomad Joe if you were never a policeman I may have you mixed up with someone else I don't think anyone likes admitting they are wrong. What was I wrong about again? I must have missed it.I do find it interesting how these discussions always end the same. How people will lead the discussion away from the issue and towards personal attacks, accusations and such when they have no more argument to make. I don't "think I know everything", I just think I know a lot more than you do about this topic. I also think that generally speaking, people that have this huge overwhelming issue with farang volunteers tend to have issues generally with anyone in a position of authority because they want to behave with impunity, which seems to me more common amongst expats as there is no doubt that is why many move here. So I guess this response is normal. The number of farangs that call these volunteers when they are in trouble, and many do, will not share your opinion. Let's hope you will never need their help.Yeah nomad, go forward.I wonder if you are a volunteer too or not:lol:Speaking of impunity, i think that is why we see more farang volunteers nowadays. they think they will get some sort of impunity i guess and i am sure some got.I have no problems on volunteerism but i beleive it if when it is done without any remunaration or expectation. Why these farang are not volunteering in an orphanage you think? do not be naive man!But i have to admit, i am sure there might be some few good farang among them still i do not show them my license!Why do you assume these farang aren't also volunteering in other ways? I know some that do.I would love to be there when you decide not to show one your license. It will be interesting to see just how many infractions they will find you in violation of. Just so you know, they have just as much right to check your license when being directed to do so by a police officer as the police officer directing them does.

Both ways, i pay a 100 thb and go my way nomad:D

If things go nasty with farang volunteer, as last resort - which i really hate doing this kind if things, i start to call my contacts in high ranks to create big problems for them.

As i admit before nomad, i am sure there might some few good man among them but again, it does not make me show my license.

It is just a preference, i prefer thai police - i have never thought that i would say this in my life.:D

^ Just came across a few of your posts in another thread LL. One you mentioned you got stopped 3 times in one day,and usually for BS stuff. I hadn't realized it was that bad up there. Hell I would be pissed off too. Just how often do you get stopped? I probably go through at most 1 or 2 checkpoints a week here, sometimes maybe once a month. I rarely get stopped and have only been cited once 10 years ago in patong fro no helmet. I have never seen farangs at a checkpoint in Phuket, but I understand there is one FPV in Karon were I work and one in Chalong/Rawai where I live. They wear the same uniform as the BIB. I have heard the one in Karon has worked a checkpoint but I have never seen the one in Chalong/Rawai working them. The Region 8 branch of RTP has several white shirted FPV's but hey mainly patrol Bangla Rd along with the white shirted, now navy blue shirted tourist police volunteers. As far as I know there are no active highway police volunteers in Phuket. There are only 6 HP officers stationed here.

Edited by NomadJoe

^ Just came across a few of your posts in another thread LL. One you mentioned you got stopped 3 times in one day,and usually for BS stuff. I hadn't realized it was that bad up there. Hell I would be pissed off too. Just how often do you get stopped? I probably go through at most 1 or 2 checkpoints a week here, sometimes maybe once a month. I rarely get stopped and have only been cited once 10 years ago in patong fro no helmet. I have never seen farangs at a checkpoint in Phuket, but I understand there is one FPV in Karon were I work and one in Chalong/Rawai where I live. They wear the same uniform as the BIB. I have heard the one in Karon has worked a checkpoint but I have never seen the one in Chalong/Rawai working them. The Region 8 branch of RTP has several white shirted FPV's but hey mainly patrol Bangla Rd along with the white shirted, now navy blue shirted tourist police volunteers. As far as I know there are no active highway police volunteers in Phuket. There are only 6 HP officers stationed here.

Nomad yes i know. I am septic in nature that is why i question. Nothing against anyone here.

Happy songkran for you!

Edited by loserlazer