Bought A Bike - Where Do I Get Certificate Of Residence?

danstarr

I've just bought an older model Honda Dream and am in the process of registering it in my name. Got the green book and filled in the transfer documents with the help of a Thai friend.

Will take my passport and work permit to the transport office as well but I'm told that I also need a certificate of residence - I have a letter from the foundation I work for stating my address and have completed the application form. Where do I take it? Immigration or the British Consulate?

Any advice much appreciated.

Just read on another thread that immigration are no longer providing stamps for vehicle purchasing. Is this just applicable for people buying new bikes?

EdIted to add that I have a work permit. Do I still need a certificate of residence?

Edited by danstarr

With a WP, you don't need any letter of residence! thumbsup.gif

Really?! That is very good news! In that case, we'll just go directly to the department of transport tomorrow and take it from there. Wasn't looking forward to another trip to immigration :)

Just read on another thread that immigration are no longer providing stamps for vehicle purchasing. Is this just applicable for people buying new bikes?

EdIted to add that I have a work permit. Do I still need a certificate of residence?

As stated, yes the WP will be acceptable. To address the first bit tho, there was a brief time a year ot two ago where immigration was saying they were not going to issue this document anymore, but that seems to have changed, as they are again issuing them.

For those who don't have a WP, you need to take your house or apartment rental contact with your passport and a copy of the tabien baan (house book) to immigration. From personal experience, and from hearing reading what others have said, you will be charged you from "up to you" to 500B for the certificate.

One recent quote from Phuket immigration:

“To be issued a letter confirming your address, just show us your Thai driver’s license. If you have not changed your address, this will suffice.

However, if you do not have a driver’s license or you have changed your address, you will need to bring your passport and the lease or rental agreement of the place where you live.

You will also need to bring a copy of the house registration document (tabien baan) for the house that you live in.

The fee for an address confirmation letter is 300 baht.”

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:58:19 PM Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent, Phuket Immigration Office.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1397

With a WP, you don't need any letter of residence! thumbsup.gif

Correct! thumbsup.gif

Edited by NomadJoe

As of now immigration in CM have stopped issuing the Cert of residence again .Another thread confirms this .

Interesting, i tried open a bank account in Pattaya but the bank require just certificate of residence,

so then in CM such cert is either not needed or its impossible to open bank account.

As of now immigration in CM have stopped issuing the Cert of residence again .Another thread confirms this .

Interesting, i tried open a bank account in Pattaya but the bank require just certificate of residence,

so then in CM such cert is either not needed or its impossible to open bank account.

I have opened a bank a/c in Chiang Mai and also Pattaya before with just a passport .Different Bank branches have different policys .Just shop around .

Just go to a different branch, or see a different teller. Some say yes no problem, some say no no no cannot.