Songkran: Bah Humbug

connda

There ARE people who actually have to go to work in the city during songkran and need to wear clean DRY clothes. A little common sense SHOULD be used to separate those who want to party and those who need to work. Would you want to be a nurse or doctor and spend all day in wet clothes? What about a bank official? Should they not have the right to remain dry? Unfortunately, it only takes a few idiots to ruin what could be a lot of fun and games.

• Like 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were years that I spent walking around the moat talking pictures, armed with both camera and squirt gun, and enjoyed it (except for the ice water.) There were years that I stayed home and enjoyed that. For the times when I needed to go somewhere in town and be dressed nicely, I carried my good clothes in a plastic bag and changed when I got there. Not much different from trundling though a New England blizzard wearing overclothes, snowmobile boots, etc., on my way to work in the classroom. Only took me a couple of minutes to put on 'indoor' clothing and spend the rest of the day comfortable.

I couldn't do anything to stop the blizzard. I guess I always figured I had a choice; stay in New England or move to a different climate. Complaining about it didn't help anyone.

songklan1.jpg

• Like 2

There were years that I spent walking around the moat talking pictures, armed with both camera and squirt gun, and enjoyed it (except for the ice water.) There were years that I stayed home and enjoyed that. For the times when I needed to go somewhere in town and be dressed nicely, I carried my good clothes in a plastic bag and changed when I got there. Not much different from trundling though a New England blizzard wearing overclothes, snowmobile boots, etc., on my way to work in the classroom. Only took me a couple of minutes to put on 'indoor' clothing and spend the rest of the day comfortable.

I couldn't do anything to stop the blizzard. I guess I always figured I had a choice; stay in New England or move to a different climate. Complaining about it didn't help anyone.

songklan1.jpg

For all of those who live in the land of sunshine and roses, and stare down your noses at us grumpy, grumpy, panderers of pessimism -- try taking a bucket full of water thrown forcefully as possible right into your face while riding a motorcycle (like above). I'm sure you will maintain that idealistic smile, good-humor, and light-hearted playfulness -- especially as you pick yourself, your motorcycle, and your injured friends up off the road. Ha ha ha -- mai bpen rai -- ha ha ha.

There is a time and place for all things -- but its when idiots pass over the line and things get overly aggressive, spiteful, and dangerous -- yes! That does make me grumpy. I was approached a number of times today as I attempted to stay off the main water throwing routes because I was carrying electronics from Pantip Plaza (yes its a holiday but some people have business and work to attend to). I had more then one person attempt to pour water on me while I'm politely asking them not to, and then they ended up wet. Simple aikido (thank you sensei Klickstein). Their bucket's empty, they're wet, and I kept moving. But I should just <deleted>. Mr. Grumpy that I am in the eye's of the rather self-righteous ("we can accept all the quirks in Thailand, why can't you?") crowd. Perhaps ya'll never learned boundaries either. There is a sh*tload of difference between playful and vicious. If you can't ascertain the difference, you've got a problem.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

i like it for 1 day ONLY its great to see most of us having fun.... there were the few overzealous farang that started on friday arvo, i do have one gripe, its the stupid drunk farang that run in the middle of a busy road in patong to stop traffic to wet people in vehicles, or run in the middle of the same crazy traffic to avoid getting wet..,.how many farang in phuket hospital today???? me think many!

i ask do u walk or play in the traffic in your own country???? Idiots...

songklan1.jpg

songklan1.jpg

Contrast the 2 water throwers in the photo, one guy is making an attack, the other guy is making rain.....

• Like 1

songklan1.jpg

For all of those who live in the land of sunshine and roses, and stare down your noses at us grumpy, grumpy, panderers of pessimism -- try taking a bucket full of water thrown forcefully as possible right into your face while riding a motorcycle (like above). I'm sure you will maintain that idealistic smile, good-humor, and light-hearted playfulness -- especially as you pick yourself, your motorcycle, and your injured friends up off the road. Ha ha ha -- mai bpen rai -- ha ha ha.

There is a time and place for all things -- but its when idiots pass over the line and things get overly aggressive, spiteful, and dangerous -- yes! That does make me grumpy. I was approached a number of times today as I attempted to stay off the main water throwing routes because I was carrying electronics from Pantip Plaza (yes its a holiday but some people have business and work to attend to). I had more then one person attempt to pour water on me while I'm politely asking them not to, and then they ended up wet. Simple aikido (thank you sensei Klickstein). Their bucket's empty, they're wet, and I kept moving. But I should just <deleted>. Mr. Grumpy that I am in the eye's of the rather self-righteous ("we can accept all the quirks in Thailand, why can't you?") crowd. Perhaps ya'll never learned boundaries either. There is a sh*tload of difference between playful and vicious. If you can't ascertain the difference, you've got a problem.

Mr Grumpy Pantip plaza is open long after the water stops flying.

Try using common sense it works wonders and the picture you are using here is a scene on roads where the water throwing is the normal practice with people lining the streets too throw it and people driving up and down it in trucks with barrels of water in the back and people there to throw it at the people lining the roads.

If you really had to have those parts during the water throwing time of the day you could have taken a cab.

• Like 1

There ARE people who actually have to go to work in the city during songkran and need to wear clean DRY clothes. A little common sense SHOULD be used to separate those who want to party and those who need to work. Would you want to be a nurse or doctor and spend all day in wet clothes? What about a bank official? Should they not have the right to remain dry? Unfortunately, it only takes a few idiots to ruin what could be a lot of fun and games.

You are making an assumption that all these people are stupid. This has been going on for years and they know it and make allowances for it such as change of cloths or take cabs.

Would you want to see a doctor who did not know how to avoid it?

songklan1.jpg

Yes, there is a time and place for everything.

For Songkran -- mid-April is the time and Thailand is the place. If you think

throwing water is vicious, obviously Thailand is not the place for you.

Every country on earth has it's quirks. The logical solution is DON'T retire

in a place that has a set of quirks you CAN'T live with.

If you ignore this logic, don't be surprised if you get little sympathy.

• Like 1

Uhhh banks are closed.

• Like 1

This topic seems to bring all the grouchy old scrooges out of the woodwork.

Isn't it rather odd -- with dozens of retirement destination options around the

world, folks will choose Thailand --

...and then spend the rest of their days on earth whining and moaning about

Thais, local customs, the weather, and a long list of perceived annoyances.

And all us folks who accept Thailand as it is (no place is perfect after all) --

We enjoy the friendliness of Thai people, the lack of ice & snow and horrible

bone-chilling weather. We enjoy the nice shopping venues, the availability of

great sushi, Indian food, and many other good foods not available at any price

in other retirement destinations.

We enjoy modern infrastructure without the high taxes, a wide variety of fresh

fruits and vegetables at incredibly low prices -- and yet -- we are often said to

be afflicted with the dreaded RCG (rose-colored-glasses) mental syndrome.

It's fairly clear that the mental syndrome afflicting a large number of expats

here is certainly not RCG.... wink.png

One of the other great things about living in Thailand, and Chiang Mai in particular, is that there are lots of people who one meets that appreciate your point of view, no matter what it is.

I think he might be arrested in that Borat swim suit soon

attachicon.gif555934_530541366992098_67497811_n.jpg

Yes, that is indeed much more important than catching drunk drivers.

Policemen and women, please all drop what you're doing right now, and enlist in the Royal Thai Swimsuit Brigade.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

You are making an assumption that all these people are stupid. This has been going on for years and they know it and make allowances for it such as change of cloths or take cabs.

Would you want to see a doctor who did not know how to avoid it?

Or a doctor that rides a motorbike... at Songkran

It makes perfect sense that you'd want to get away from the craziness. smile.png

There are two sides to Songkran; the side the Thais "feel" and the side we farang 'see.' To the Thais, it's a religious festival. The wetter they get, the more blessing they receive. The wetter they can get someone else, the better off someone else will be too! It's about groups of Thais getting together to share the blessings and have fun... albeit carried a bit too far, perhaps, but that's the general idea... for them.

For the usual farang, it's a drunken waterfight, either to be enjoyed with other drunken farang, or avoided like the plague. Period.

Usually the religious side simply isn't there for foreigners unless one is married into the culture.

Yes. I would be happy to experience Songkran in, for example, a rural and purely Thai environment, along with people I knew, who had invited me to be part of it with them, and with no other farang about, but am not in the least interested in the typical Chiangmai experience.
songkran will still be going on in the villages to some degree for another week

.why dont you head out to the villages,though everyone is pissed there as well.

i,m sure if you spoke to any Thai they would be happy to take you back

Personally i have been to many songkran and holi festivals in Thailand and India.<br />India got way over the top with toxic paint by the bucketload getting flung<br />Also when the Indian people were allowed to drink the more aggresive ones took it as an excuse to feel up any woman,so used to stay in for days<br /><br />Here in Thailand i just thought done that ,lost its appeal,so i used to hanker down in my room or bungalow for 5 days with provisions and never left<br /><br />this year i came back into the big city,not intentionally for songkran ,but here i am<br />I have been out the past 2 days and thoroughly enjoyed myself and thanked the Thais for all the blessings they have showered on me,,oops should add farang as well<br /><br /><br />

songkran will still be going on in the villages to some degree for another week.why dont you head out to the villages,though everyone is pissed there as well.i,m sure if you spoke to any Thai they would be happy to take you back

Thank you for the suggestion, wigantojapan, but I am enjoying myself in Bali now, on my annual 'escape from Songkran'. :)

for the last 3 days I have actually felt my age............trying to turn back the clock into chldhood metality sadly couldnt compete with 30yrs of adulthood, acquired intelligence, common sense, danger awareness and lethargy.

weh hey! roll on next year...going to try drinking orange juice and multi E numbers in the run up hoping i acquire some hyperactivity.

for the last 3 days I have actually felt my age............trying to turn back the clock into chldhood metality sadly couldnt compete with 30yrs of adulthood, acquired intelligence, common sense, danger awareness and lethargy.

weh hey! roll on next year...going to try drinking orange juice and multi E numbers in the run up hoping i acquire some hyperactivity.

Watching old falangs being stupid with water sums it up really

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

songklan1.jpg

There is a time and place for all things -- but its when idiots pass over the line and things get overly aggressive, spiteful, and dangerous -- yes! That does make me grumpy. I was approached a number of times today as I attempted to stay off the main water throwing routes because I was carrying electronics from Pantip Plaza (yes its a holiday but some people have business and work to attend to). I had more then one person attempt to pour water on me while I'm politely asking them not to, and then they ended up wet. Simple aikido (thank you sensei Klickstein). Their bucket's empty, they're wet, and I kept moving. But I should just &lt;deleted&gt;. Mr. Grumpy that I am in the eye's of the rather self-righteous ("we can accept all the quirks in Thailand, why can't you?") crowd. Perhaps ya'll never learned boundaries either. There is a sh*tload of difference between playful and vicious. If you can't ascertain the difference, you've got a problem.

Mr Grumpy Pantip plaza is open long after the water stops flying.

Try using common sense it works wonders and the picture you are using here is a scene on roads where the water throwing is the normal practice with people lining the streets too throw it and people driving up and down it in trucks with barrels of water in the back and people there to throw it at the people lining the roads.

If you really had to have those parts during the water throwing time of the day you could have taken a cab.

You are welcome to your opinion Mr Omnipotent, however you don't have a clue as to what my situation was. What I did needed to be done at the time I did it. I was working and I had deadlines to meet and a dead computer that die about 8am Saturday morning. You have no idea when I went, what direction I went, what I was carrying -- none of that. I ended buying a new computer, the shop need three hours to configure it they way I wanted, I and drove my car back to Pantip that afternoon to pick it up. So Highly Intelligent One, try not to make the assumption that everyone is stupid except you.

By the way, on Sunday, I filled up my water cannon and waded out into the fray -- As I said, there is a time and place for everything. And when I len naam (play water) I'm as good humored about it as the average partyer on the street. But I'm cognizant enough to know when people really don't want to be squirted, and I respect that. That's just me. So let's put this behind us and celebrate the New Year.

Sa wat bpii mai -- have a great Songkran and Happy New Year!

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

This topic seems to bring all the grouchy old scrooges out of the woodwork.

Isn't it rather odd -- with dozens of retirement destination options around the

world, folks will choose Thailand --

...and then spend the rest of their days on earth whining and moaning about

Thais, local customs, the weather, and a long list of perceived annoyances.

And all us folks who accept Thailand as it is (no place is perfect after all) --

We enjoy the friendliness of Thai people, the lack of ice & snow and horrible

bone-chilling weather. We enjoy the nice shopping venues, the availability of

great sushi, Indian food, and many other good foods not available at any price

in other retirement destinations.

We enjoy modern infrastructure without the high taxes, a wide variety of fresh

fruits and vegetables at incredibly low prices -- and yet -- we are often said to

be afflicted with the dreaded RCG (rose-colored-glasses) mental syndrome.

It's fairly clear that the mental syndrome afflicting a large number of expats

here is certainly not RCG.... wink.png

For goodness sake, it's been OTT for at least 16 years that I can vouch for, so unless someone has NEVER been in LOS at Songkran before, they must know what happens.

If you don't like getting wet, either leave the country or hide for the duration. If you HAVE to go outside for work etc reasons, dress for it and take a change of clothing in a plastic bag.

Complaining about it won't change anything.

BTW, I only stopped participating when the ice started to be used, and now with the huge fireworks, I don't go to any Thai festivals- it's getting too dangerous.