Can You Pay Your Way Out Of The Army?

charliemike11

My young nephew has just pulled out the red paper from the village army box and so has been told he is to join the army for 2.5 years....

He's terrified and has to leave a really good job in bangkok to do this compulsary service, Im scared he's going to do a runner and so want to know is it possible to pay his way out of this service and if so how much and who does he pay???

Cheers mate, I cant get any common sense from the wife its all a bit emotional here....so maybe too late for the poor fella, Im not there right now so I cant do anything or speak to anyone.... wifey seems struck on keeping the pennies, I'd rather keep him safe TBH... good kid I hope he gets through it ok he's already been through too much for his age

Cheers any way

30k baht is all it takes, I hear.

That was 10 years ago. Much more these days.

BUT: Why not let him join the army. Good live experience. AND, most importantly, if willing to invest a comparatively modest amount of money to enable him to "meet some important people in the army" while serving, this might accelerate his career dramatically. Much more than any University-Degree from Thailand, that the rest of the wold has nothing left but a mild smile.

Cheers.

• Like 2

You dont pay your way out, you pay to avoid your way in.

What makes this guy so special that he shouldnt do his duty?

Plenty of Thais have been there and done that, many have come back all the better for doing so.

You say nephew, what did his parents suggest?

My nephew from my ex -wifes side got conscripted , got a rifle butt in the mouth for being a smart -arse and then sent to the south. It didn't make him any more of a man - he is still wanna be gangster wherever he is now.

He had an opportunity to turn his life around and learn some skills but wasted it .

On the otherhand a good Thai friend of mine in Oz introduced me to his nephew who had been sent to Duntroon by the Thai army and was doing a Masters there if i remember correctly. He also had qualifications in Project Management which i also do and had a stack of other qualifications in engineering etc. courtsey of the Thai Army. He was paid a really good salary and had travelled & studied in other countries. He was not only intellectually gifted but knew that he only had to be in the army a small part of his career to come out on top.

It is whatever your nephew wants to make it.

• Like 1

My nephew from my ex -wifes side got conscripted , got a rifle butt in the mouth for being a smart -arse and then sent to the south. It didn't make him any more of a man - he is still wanna be gangster wherever he is now.

He had an opportunity to turn his life around and learn some skills but wasted it .

On the otherhand a good Thai friend of mine in Oz introduced me to his nephew who had been sent to Duntroon by the Thai army and was doing a Masters there if i remember correctly. He also had qualifications in Project Management which i also do and had a stack of other qualifications in engineering etc. courtsey of the Thai Army. He was paid a really good salary and had travelled & studied in other countries. He was not only intellectually gifted but knew that he only had to be in the army a small part of his career to come out on top.

It is whatever your nephew wants to make it.

I agree with your general point but I have to point out things as described in that the latter scenario don't typically play out that way for draftees...