กาดมัว

sabaijai

I'm working on a book where the meaning of the northern Thai กาดมัว comes up. I've written it here using the standard Thai alphabet and not sure the whether it's มัว or มั่ว or even มั๊ว although the latter has no central Thai equivalent.

Of course กาด means 'market', the problem is translating มัว/มั่ว. I see it as the same basic meaning as in central Thai (มั่ว muddled, mixed up; มัว not clear), in contrast with กาดนัด, that is scheduled markets at scheduled points. In other words 'unplanned market' with มัว/มั่ว being a euphemism for 'unplanned'. An American I'm working with insists it has a different meaning in northern Thai, 'lively'. Although it's not unreasonable to assume the word had a different meaning in northern Thai, 'lively' doesn't seem logical to me. I don't have access to a bilingual native northern Thai speaker at the moment so was just wondering if there are any northern Thai experts here that might be able to comment.

Basically my question is, in northern Thai do มัว and มั่ว have the same meanings as in central Thai? And if not, is 'lively' a correct or at least reasonable translation?

I don't need an explanation of กาดมัว as a concept, that's quite clear from everyday observation. :o

Thanks for any input.

The correct writing of this word is กาดหมั้ว.

หมั้ว pronounce the same as มั่ว- means ' lively '.

Thanks, Yoot. I didn't know this word หมั้ว and it's not in RID. So it's central Thai (and presumably northern Thai as well) after all?

I just realised that I've mostly seen it written กาดมั่ว as seen on this website and others:

http://www.cmcoop.com/new2.htm

Googling I found 445 citations using กาดมั่ว only and 232 using กาดหมั้ว.

Of course if it's really northern Thai then the standard Thai spellings aren't meaningful. Does หมั้ว exist in central Thai?

กาดหมั้ว is northern Thai, not central Thai.

หมั้ว has no meaning in central Thai.

Why you found กาดมั่ว was used more than กาดหมั้ว from googling, read this quote;

กาดต่อมา เป็นกาดที่ใครๆ คุ้นหู ได้ยินกันบ่อย บางคนเรียก “กาดมั่ว” เรียกไปก็ให้สงสัยไปว่าทำไมมันถึงมั่ว แต่ในความเป็นจริงแล้ว คนเมืองเราเรียกว่า “กาดหมั้ว” คนต่างถิ่นต่างเมืองมักจะออกเสียงนี้ไม่ได้ ลำบากนักก็แปลงออกเสียงเป็น กาดมั่ว ไปเสียเลย

If you read both words as central Thai, they are pronounced the same. But for northern people, they are pronounced slightly different.

กาดหมั้ว is northern Thai, not central Thai.

หมั้ว has no meaning in central Thai.

Why you found กาดมั่ว was used more than กาดหมั้ว from googling, read this quote;

กาดต่อมา เป็นกาดที่ใครๆ คุ้นหู ได้ยินกันบ่อย บางคนเรียก “กาดมั่ว” เรียกไปก็ให้สงสัยไปว่าทำไมมันถึงมั่ว แต่ในความเป็นจริงแล้ว คนเมืองเราเรียกว่า “กาดหมั้ว” คนต่างถิ่นต่างเมืองมักจะออกเสียงนี้ไม่ได้ ลำบากนักก็แปลงออกเสียงเป็น กาดมั่ว ไปเสียเลย

If you read both words as central Thai, they are pronounced the same. But for northern people, they are pronounced slightly different.

I saw that when I Googled, but that explanation doesn't make logical sense. Basically it says non-northerners say กาดมั่ว because they can't pronounce กาดหมั้ว! Since the pronunciation is the same, this suggests that กาดหมั้ว is simply a way for northerners to write the term in standard Thai script without misleading central Thais to think of the meaning มั่ว. It's clearly not a matter of pronunciation, unless หมั้ว is incorrect. I'd like to see what how the actual Lanna script spells it.

The other thing is that in the กาดหมั้ว references I read online, nowhere could I find an explanation for the meaning of the word (หมั้ว) alone. Yoot, how did you find out that the meaning is 'lively', are you a northern Thai speaker?

I had heard 'lively' 2nd-hand, from a farang who herself is not a native speaker of central or northern Thai. I called a khon meuang friend of mine this evening to ask about it and she claimed it meant 'mixed', similar to central Thai รวม. I remain sceptical that the meaing is actually all that far removed from the central Thai มั่ว (except perhaps less negative). Tell us more if you have more info, very interesting this one (to me, probably boring to many).

Sabaijai,

I'm not a northern Thai, but I have some cousins there in Chiangmai. They used to tell me about this word.

But you want the better explanation, so that I did some googling and found these.

For the writting and pronouncing northern Thai, there are 6 tone sounds for high class consonant+low class consonant -- as for this word, มา หม่า ม่า หม้า ม้า หมา. But how to pronounce it correctly, I don't think I can explain. You might be interested in this link ;

http://www.geocities.com/lannafolkclub/pas...;นา

And in some pages I got these explanations which confirm my understanding;

"กาดหมั้ว"คือ สถานที่สำหรับแลกเปลี่ยนสินค้าของคนบัวราณ เช่นว่า ใผมีผักมีไม้ เอามาแลกข้าว ไผมีข้าวเอาแลกเกลือ ไผมีเกลือเอามาแลกปล๋า ...........เพราะคนสมัยก่อนบ่นิยมใช้ซะตางค์ถ้าไผใช้ซะตางค์ก่คือคนร่ำคนรวย หรือ ชั้นขุนนาง "หมั้ว"หมายเถิง มันสูนสันอูนอันกั๋น หนั๋ว หรือ นัวเนียกั๋น หรือ ครึกครื้น

http://board.dserver.org/L/LannaBoard/00000366.html

"กาดหมั้ว" ซึ่งคำนี้พี่แมวอธิบายว่า..กาดหมั้วก็คือตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกันเยอะ ๆ น่ะเอง อ่านว่า "หมั้ว" นะไม่ใช่ "มั่ว" ที่กาดหมั้วเป็นแหล่งรวมของสินค้าพื้นเมือง อาหารพื้นเมือง

http://www.evilgodzilla.com/tk/keep/00000075.html

"ของกิ๋นบ้านเฮาลำขนาด" เริ่มต้นทักทายด้วยของกินเลยแล้วกันนะคะ

เพราะเดือนนี้เวปเราว่ากันด้วยเรื่องของ "กาดหมั้ว" ก็หมายถึงว่า ตลาด นั่นล่ะค่ะ

แต่ไม่ได้หมายถึง ตลาดที่มั่วซั่วนะคะ...

http://www.chiangmainorthern.com/index_th/...muang_mar05.php

Sabaijai,

I'm not a northern Thai, but I have some cousins there in Chiangmai. They used to tell me about this word.

But you want the better explanation, so that I did some googling and found these.

For the writting and pronouncing northern Thai, there are 6 tone sounds for high class consonant+low class consonant -- as for this word, มา หม่า ม่า หม้า ม้า หมา. But how to pronounce it correctly, I don't think I can explain. You might be interested in this link ;

http://www.geocities.com/lannafolkclub/pas...;นา

And in some pages I got these explanations which confirm my understanding;

"กาดหมั้ว"คือ สถานที่สำหรับแลกเปลี่ยนสินค้าของคนบัวราณ เช่นว่า ใผมีผักมีไม้ เอามาแลกข้าว ไผมีข้าวเอาแลกเกลือ ไผมีเกลือเอามาแลกปล๋า ...........เพราะคนสมัยก่อนบ่นิยมใช้ซะตางค์ถ้าไผใช้ซะตางค์ก่คือคนร่ำคนรวย หรือ ชั้นขุนนาง "หมั้ว"หมายเถิง มันสูนสันอูนอันกั๋น หนั๋ว หรือ นัวเนียกั๋น หรือ ครึกครื้น

http://board.dserver.org/L/LannaBoard/00000366.html

"กาดหมั้ว" ซึ่งคำนี้พี่แมวอธิบายว่า..กาดหมั้วก็คือตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกัน อตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกันเยอะ ๆ น่ะเอง อ่านว่า "หมั้ว" นะไม่ใช่ "มั่ว" ที่กาดหมั้วเป็นแหล่งรวมของสินค้าพื้นเมือง อาหารพื้นเมือง กาดหมั้วเป็นแหล่งรวมของสินค้าพื้นเมือง อาหารพื้นเมือง

http://www.evilgodzilla.com/tk/keep/00000075.html

"ของกิ๋นบ้านเฮาลำขนาด" เริ่มต้นทักทายด้วยของกินเลยแล้วกันนะคะ

เพราะเดือนนี้เวปเราว่ากันด้วยเรื่องของ "กาดหมั้ว" ก็หมายถึงว่า ตลาด นั่นล่ะค่ะ

แต่ไม่ได้หมายถึง ตลาดที่มั่วซั่วนะคะ...

http://www.chiangmainorthern.com/index_th/...muang_mar05.php

The 1st and 3rd references don't really add anything in terms of semantics, but the 2nd one seems to corroborate what my khon meuang friend said, that northern Thai หมั้ว means รวม, 'together' or 'mixed', in other words more or less ตลาดรวม as opposed to a market that separates fresh goods and dry goods.

It makes more sense than 'lively' but I'm still not satisfied. What I'd like to see are some written references where หมั้ว is used in a context other than "กาดหมั้ว". Online all I see are "กาดหมั้ว" and "หมั้ว" alone as a person's nickname. If I wasn't committing this to writing I wouldn't care so much but I don't want to get it wrong.

For the writting and pronouncing northern Thai, there are 6 tone sounds for high class consonant+low class consonant -- as for this word, มา หม่า ม่า หม้า ม้า หมา.

Hmmm the two different falling tones may be similar to the way standard Lao has two falling tones, a high falling and a low falling.

กาดหมั้วก็คือตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกัน ตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกันเยอะ ๆ น่ะเอง

Sabaijai, in both they explained the meaning of "หมั้ว" as " lively" more than 'Mixed"

If I explain it in another way, it should be เมื่อมีคนมารวมกันเยอะ ๆ มันก็จะทำให้เกิดความครึกครื้น หรือคึกคัก หรือ มีชีวิตชีวา. It's lively, not just mixed.

If you want the accurate meaning, I think you need to look this word in Lanna dicitonary. But sorry, I don't have it on hand now.

Edited by yoot

กาดหมั้วก็คือตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกัน ตลาดที่มีคนมารวมกันเยอะ ๆ น่ะเอง

Sabaijai, in both they explained the meaning of "หมั้ว" as " lively" more than 'Mixed"

If I explain it in another way, it should be เมื่อมีคนมารวมกันเยอะ ๆ มันก็จะทำให้เกิดความครึกครื้น หรือคึกคัก หรือ มีชีวิตชีวา. It's lively, not just mixed.

If you want the accurate meaning, I think you need to look this word in Lanna dicitonary. But sorry, I don't have it on hand now.

OK got it, convinced that lively is correct. I didn't fully understood the first line you highlighted in red (มันสูนสันอูนอันกั๋น หนั๋ว หรือ นัวเนียกั๋น หรือ ครึกครื้น), thanks. The second line just says 'a market where a lot of people come together' not necessarily '.lively'

GF (born and bred near Chiang Mai to born and bred Mueang parents) spontaneously said the meaning was "mixed"; "selling a bit of this and a bit of that". She is younger generation Mueang though, so maybe she does not know any supposed 'original' Northern Thai meaning of the word.

Thanks a lot Mead, now I'm confused again. This is what my khon meuang friend - who has a graduate degree in Lanna art - also said. It's looking like the word just isn't used outside the kat mua context.