British Police Getting Ready For Disruptions At Margaret Thatcher's Funeral Procession

webfact

seems like the Queen is no happy with the funeral arrangements either,if you believe everything you read in the newspapers

Do you have a link for that? I can't find one.

The Queen and Prince Philip have chosen to attend. It is not a state funeral and they were under no obligation to do so.

Other attendees include many of Thatcher's political oppnents; both from her days in office and since. The only one not doing so is Kinnock, and that is purely becuase he is already committed to attending another funeral at the same time.

Did i say anything in my posting about state funeral;;;read it again....and then if you choose you will be able to find the link

Where did I say anything about you saying it was a state funeral?

My point is that if it were then the Queen would be obligated to attend, or at least send a representative. But as this is not a state funeral she is under no such obligation. Her decision to attend is one of choice, not obligation.

Got it now?

It is you who has said the papers report the Queen is not happy with the funeral arrangements, up to you to provide a link, or at least say which papers.

I can't find a link, despite a thorough search, even looking in the Morning Star!

• Like 1

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people really know how to hold a grudge long-term. Thatcher left office in 1990. 23 years later, some people still haven't got over it. Says a lot about the type of people involved in these death celebrations.

Makes me embarrassed to be British.

+1

seems like the Queen is no happy with the funeral arrangements either,if you believe everything you read in the newspapers

The Queen and Prince Philip have chosen to attend. It is not a state funeral and they were under no obligation to do so.

Other attendees include many of Thatcher's political oppnents; both from her days in office and since. The only one not doing so is Kinnock, and that is purely becuase he is already committed to attending another funeral at the same time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/11/thatcher-funeral-pomp-concerns-palace

It is a state funeral in all but name, apparently the only real difference is that the Royal Navy won't be pulling the gun carriage. There is a very good constitutional reason why the monarch has never attended the funerals of any other PM,( apart from Churchill which was a state funeral). They are meant to remain neutral when it comes to politics. Regardless as to whether this was a personal decision taken by the Queen, ( And many people have serious doubts about that), the House Of Windsor have now nailed their colours to the political mast. It is no secret that Mrs Thatcher was not the Queens favourite PM. In the early days of her premiership there were a few hiccups during the weekly audience at the palace, the protocols of the curtsey, but apparently the Queen soon got the hang of it!

Does anyone know if the Beckhams are going by the way? I can't believe they will pass up a photo opportunity like this.

• Like 2

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/11/thatcher-funeral-pomp-concerns-palace

It is a state funeral in all but name, apparently the only real difference is that the Royal Navy won't be pulling the gun carriage. There is a very good constitutional reason why the monarch has never attended the funerals of any other PM,( apart from Churchill which was a state funeral). They are meant to remain neutral when it comes to politics. Regardless as to whether this was a personal decision taken by the Queen, ( And many people have serious doubts about that), the House Of Windsor have now nailed their colours to the political mast. It is no secret that Mrs Thatcher was not the Queens favourite PM. In the early days of her premiership there were a few hiccups during the weekly audience at the palace, the protocols of the curtsey, but apparently the Queen soon got the hang of it!

Does anyone know if the Beckhams are going by the way? I can't believe they will pass up a photo opportunity like this.

Apparently not although David did have some resepectful words for MT, as we all should but some feel unable to do so, sadly. I wonder how long after the funeral the hurt will carry on for these people? Dont you have any other life to live?

Irrespective of your views on those wishing to show their disdain for the event, at least we live in a country where you can choose to do that rather than, for example, North Korea.

It's a pity we don't live in a country where people feel a measure of compassion for her family and friends and recognize that such protests are in extremely bad taste. Would these be the same people who would like to see a more compassionate society ?

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

It is a state funeral in all but name. I have to agree with you on that point. The Queen is neutral in matters of politics. The funeral of Margaret Thatcher is not a political event.

Thanks for the link to the Guardian, Essexyman.

I note, though, that it says

In discussions (between the Palace and No. 10) about the funeral held over recent years, it is understood that questions were raised by senior figures about whether it would be right to associate the military with such a divisive figure, according to a well-placed Whitehall source.

Which is hardly, as wigantojapan insisted, the Queen herself expressing concerns!

Irrespective of your views on those wishing to show their disdain for the event, at least we live in a country where you can choose to do that rather than, for example, North Korea.

It's a pity we don't live in a country where people feel a measure of compassion for her family and friends and recognize that such protests are in extremely bad taste. Would these be the same people who would like to see a more compassionate society ?

Compassion isn't defined by empty phrases or meaningless gestures, but deeds. Redistribution of wealth from the poor to the rich is a bad deed, void of compassion. That's why Maggie doesn't reserve any respect.

We'll ignore your tired repetition of the Galloway school of Thatcher's economic policies, and look at compassion.

Compassion means, among other things, showing respect for, and respecting the feelings of, everyone; regardless of whether or not you agreed with their political beliefs and/or activities.

This world would be a far better place if you and those others celebrating Thatcher's death realised this.

But what do they care about compassion? Nothing, just another excuse to get pissed out of their tiny minds!

Edited by 7by7

I am saddened and embarrassed by a proportion of my countrymen's attitudes at this time. Why can't they separate out the person and the profession. Should I make a list of bad waiters, poor call centre staff and inefficient ticket vendors at train stations and then dance on all of their graves?

Bloody pathetic!

So in our new age world looks like we can't even DIE in peace !! Pffffffffff.. what is wrong with people? Why such bitterness all the time...??

These same scum bags will be outraged when the extreme right celebrate Scargill's demise.

I cant imagine the so called right wing giving a crap.

But these lefty idiots mostly weren't even born when she was in power, and most weren't miners, shipyard workers or children of them.

They ought to just stick her in the ground or cremate her and be done with this pointless drama.

10 Million quid is unaffordable.

I suppose they could have tendered the entire ceremony out to private providers and I think she would have approved of that. Anyway, I hope it all goes off without disruption.

Exsexyman: I think Margaret Thatcher contributed more to this country than the Queen Mother, gracious lady that she was, and as such I see nothing improper in the cost of her funeral, though your estimate of it's cost is the highest I have seen so far. I have no doubt that the cost is being driven up by security considerations and our duty to protect the mourners from rioting protesters.

• Like 1

^ HM The Queen has been at every former PM's funeral.

Now calm down....

Absolute nonsense. The only one she has attended was Churchill's. Take more water with it!

I think you are confusing the issue of the Queen's attendance with the the separate matter of who received a state funeral. Of the PMs quoted,only Churchill received a state funeral.

I don't know why the Queen has chosen to attend; maybe out of respect for a woman who served her as PM for 11 years, even though they, by all accounts, didn't get on personally.

Essexyman, the Conservatives have not 'orchestrated' this event. Preparations for Lady Thatcher's funeral were begun by Blair's government; as the Guardian article you yourself linked to says!

It also seems that reported estimates of the costs may be on the high side (btw, the Queen Mother's cost £8.6 million, not 4.2); see this Guardian article.

But of course we don't know what the police costs will be if (more likely when) the demonstrations against her descend into riots and vandalism, as unfortunately so many have in the past thanks to the SWP and other's who care nothing for anything except their own gratification.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

^ HM The Queen has been at every former PM's funeral.

Now calm down....

Absolute nonsense. The only one she has attended was Churchill's. Take more water with it!

I think you are confusing the issue of the Queen's attendance with the the separate matter of who received a state funeral. Of the PMs quoted,only Churchill received a state funeral.

I think he's just talking out of his botty.

Douglas Home, Callaghan, Heath, Wilson, Mac and even Eden...

HM has seen the all into the turf pal so please don't post shit.

You are the one posting S**t pal. Not hard to verify.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/UK-queen-to-attend-Thatchers-funeral-20130410

"Queen Elizabeth has not attended the funeral of one of her Prime Ministers since the state funeral of Winston Churchill in 1965".

Hundreds of sources out there . It is a fact, get over it.

• Like 1