Swede Gets Death Penalty In Malaysia For Drugs

webfact

While it's tempting to say "yeah, another bad guy gets what he deserves!", I tend to think that if you don't see the big picture of a situation, you're better off not looking at all. His sentencing will probably accomplish nothing other than killing him. His job will be given to another willing participant. Drugs will continue to flow in and out of SE Asia. The people behind the manufacturing of the drug will remain anonymous. Supply and demand. If the source of a problem isn't addressed, it's at best a waste of time, and at worst makes the problem even harder to solve.

Agree with the hypocracy that while some substances are illegal and come with death penalties, others have well-paid corporations backing them (alcohol, cigarettes, pharmacies) and come with annual bonuses and promotions.

The solution? Legalize it! At least soft drugs like marijuna, alcohol and cigs. For hard drugs like meth and heroin, manufacturing should be legal, distribution illegal. If you get caught distributing, you go to prison where you work, work, work producing something society can use, like clothing or tupperware. Prisons should make money, not cost money.

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone employed in Australia's criminal "justice" ("Just Ice" is found at the North Pole) system for over 20 years I have seen the junkies come and go and seen their death notices in the papers put in by grieving parents who blame themselves and can't but think of their lovely child who they watched slowly kill temselves.. Amphetamines - "Ice" - are highly addictive because of the "rush" the users get out of it. In a very short time a small bit at a party (usually whilst under the influence of alcohol) can turn into a raging drug habit.

Some people are making huge amounts of money out of it. The ripple effects throughout our community are enormous. It is a problem that all nations must deal with.

But one thing is for sure - this particular Iranian / Swede will not be part of the problem again.

4.3kg of the stuff is worth a lot of money. As far as I am concerned I have no sympathy for him. He gambled his life and lost. No different than a drunk getting behind a wheel and killing a whole family.

• Like 1

Wonder if he's gotten used to his new way of life.

From Pattaya bar owner, with girls and everything else on tap, to a death row cell in Malaysia for the rest of his life....

2008_10_06_cell_bmp_240x240_q85.jpg

Oh well, you win some lose some.

Looks an improvement on a lot of Pattaya bar st rooms to me.

If you're going to applaud the execution of drug traffickers - would you hold peddlars of whisky etc to the same standard -given that alcohol abuse wreaks havoc on the roads and in families in cases of domestic violence and in the community in cases of random and premeditated violence ??. Or perhaps those whose superannuation and pension funds invest in companies that manufacture arms and weapons of war.....which often do untold damage to innocent civilians....Just wondering because the holier than thou mentality of some of the would be local lynch mobbers is pretty nauseating. Where do you draw the line?

get a life! there is no comparison between booze and narcotics! you are just a bleeding heart! best keep your ass out of malasia when using your drugs!

I don't use drugs so I don't have to worry about that. As for no comparison you're right there is for more violence caused through alcohol abuse. Ice by way is not a narcotic it's an amphetamine.

As someone employed in Australia's criminal "justice" ("Just Ice" is found at the North Pole) system for over 20 years I have seen the junkies come and go and seen their death notices in the papers put in by grieving parents who blame themselves and can't but think of their lovely child who they watched slowly kill temselves.. Amphetamines - "Ice" - are highly addictive because of the "rush" the users get out of it. In a very short time a small bit at a party (usually whilst under the influence of alcohol) can turn into a raging drug habit.

Some people are making huge amounts of money out of it. The ripple effects throughout our community are enormous. It is a problem that all nations must deal with.

But one thing is for sure - this particular Iranian / Swede will not be part of the problem again.

4.3kg of the stuff is worth a lot of money. As far as I am concerned I have no sympathy for him. He gambled his life and lost. No different than a drunk getting behind a wheel and killing a whole family.

My point exactly.I've got a cop and two prison warders in my family who've helped shape my views. 'No different to a drunk getting behind the wheel and killing a whole family'. However while he is roundly condemned noone seems to apply the same 'moral' standards to those who sold the drunk his alcohol. Not arguing for or against prohibition although the laws on ganja could be changed as they criminalise a large group of decent law abiding citizens who pay their way in society but pointing to how standards of moral judgement aren't applied equally. That's all.

Edited by borisloosebrain

I read somewhere a few years ago that the public executions in China were so popular they had to hire security guards to stop people stealing the pushbikes of the people who rode there to watch.

Since when do they have public executions in China?

Thanks. In reading about China and, among other things, it's death penalty, I was sure I'd read somewhere that China didn't do that; just goes to show that what I nearly said to Mudcrab is true - don't believe everything you read.

EDIT OT ADD:

Apparently the public executions are in fact not legal?

"Criminal Procedure Law of the People's Republic of China: Article 212

Before a people's court executes a death sentence, it shall notify the people's procuratorate at the same level to send personnel to supervise the execution.

Death sentences shall be executed by means of shooting or injection.

Death sentences may be executed at the execution ground or in designated places of custody.

The judicial personnel directing the execution shall verify the identity of the criminal offender, ask him if he has any last words or letters, and then deliver him to the executioner for the death sentence. If, before the execution, it is found that there may be an error, the execution shall be suspended and the matter shall be reported to the Supreme People's Court for decision.

Execution of death sentences shall be announced to the public, but shall not be held in public."

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thanks. In reading about China and, among other things, it's death penalty, I was sure I'd read somewhere that China didn't do that; just goes to show that what I nearly said to Mudcrab is true - don't believe everything you read.

Keep in mind that was a long time ago--I believe it was in 1989. I don't know when they stopped doing it, but China was a very different country at that time.

I do believe we are straying off the topic, however.

Of course, the ironic thing is that Malaysia has had these very tough drug smuggling laws for years and enforced them and it still has the same drug problems. In fact if anything it is getting worse.

One has to wonder if there has ever been a review of Malaysia's drug laws as they do not seem to be having the effect they were supposed to have.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion that it's getting worse, I'd be interested to know

Just like 1983 Barlow and Chambers , this " Law " is just simple Nonsense . The War on Drugs , individuals scream ..What an absolute Joke ...

Far from as simple as " The Law is the Law " ..How do you think laws are changed ?? ..If you are concerned about those profiting ..Check out who Actually runs the Show . Malaysia , and Simgapre , possibly the biggest of all Hypocrits ..

Take the $$$$ Side out of it , and see who

actually is complaining ..will be yet another set up ..Simply shameful .

I'm trying to comprehend what you wrote . . . but can't make heads nor tails of it . . . would you be so kind as to rephrase it

Of course, the ironic thing is that Malaysia has had these very tough drug smuggling laws for years and enforced them and it still has the same drug problems. In fact if anything it is getting worse.

One has to wonder if there has ever been a review of Malaysia's drug laws as they do not seem to be having the effect they were supposed to have.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion that it's getting worse, I'd be interested to know

> Just like 1983 Barlow and Chambers , this " Law " is just simple Nonsense . The War on Drugs , individuals scream ..What an absolute Joke ...

Far from as simple as " The Law is the Law " ..How do you think laws are changed ?? ..If you are concerned about those profiting ..Check out who Actually runs the Show . Malaysia , and Simgapre , possibly the biggest of all Hypocrits ..

I'm trying to comprehend what you wrote . . . but can't make heads nor tails of it . . . would you be so kind as to rephrase it

One thing has definitely changed is that years ago people like Barlow & Chambers and many others were trying to smuggle drugs out of Malaysia, these days the trend seems to be to smuggle drugs in to Malaysia.

if only they did that to every "major" drug dealer, the world would be a better place

and major would be more than 50 gramsn which is enough to ruin already a lot of lives just out of greed

china, thailand, malaysia, indonesia, singapore ... these countries are known for putting down drug criminals, so ... if you can't do the time...

Ah, the usual idiocy. Anybody with half a brain knows that the "war on drugs" is imbecilic and that the only sane approach is decriminalisation, government licensing of drug sales, public education about the effects of all drugs and social and health programs to help the addicted. Within half a century, this will be the norm in most countries, and people will look back on the attitudes of people like you as barbaric.
Barbaric Ignorant and Idiotic. It takes about 5 minutes to find relevant mortality rates for the Drugs vs Alcohol debate. In the U.k the ONS keeps accurate records now. Last time I checked deaths due to drug abuse were around 800/annum mostly due to Heroin use..things like Cocaine were around 24deaths/annum ...Alcohol 6984/annum and that's just as primary cause not people killed through drink driving etc.

Anyone with an ounce of intellect knows the "war on drugs" is a joke, the repeal of prohibition on Alcohol was a disaster for the Mafia and the drug Laws are a hangover from that whole period.

Respecting a countrys laws is one thing, arguing that they are morally justified because "drugs are the scourge of the earth" is another.

Maybe , one should compare the mortality amongst those actually using/ partake of the substance. What is the ratio of deaths per drug user, compared with other deaths, e.g. car drivers, alcohol users, etc. My guess is that there are fewer drug users than alcohol takers. I dont know the answer. I am just asking the question.

Edited by attento

I'm actually surprised many times over.

Why is this a 'braking news' category?

Why over 130 posters feel like saying something?

Offender is not claiming any excuses as there is none.

Offender is not a 'born yesterday' innocent. Most likely would sell the shit at his own bar. Not a destitute desperado either.

Malaysia has its rules and laws. We all know this is no joke. He gambled and lost. Not the first, not the last one.

The Swedish know better than to interfere. So do the Iranians. Why such a long and heated debate here on this Forum?

Nothing we say changes anything. coffee1.gif

So why did you bother saying anything whistling.gif

• Like 2

> Just like 1983 Barlow and Chambers , this " Law " is just simple Nonsense . The War on Drugs , individuals scream ..What an absolute Joke ...

actually is complaining ..will be yet another set up ..Simply shameful

One thing has definitely changed is that years ago people like Barlow & Chambers and many others were trying to smuggle drugs out of Malaysia, these days the trend seems to be to smuggle drugs in to Malaysia.

I understand . . . and what does that signify to you? That 'users' are now reliant on imported drugs - meaning that the laws have had an effect in curbing/stopping home-grown production. Surely that's a good thing

• Like 1

http://alcoholrehab.com/alcohol-rehab/drug-addiction-in-malaysia/

actually is complaining ..will be yet another set up ..Simply shameful

http://alcoholrehab.com/alcohol-rehab/drug-addiction-in-malaysia/

That wasn't re-phrasing it - wasn't the point that Malaysians now rely more and more on imported drugs?

Wonder if he's gotten used to his new way of life.

From Pattaya bar owner, with girls and everything else on tap, to a death row cell in Malaysia for the rest of his life....

Oh well, you win some lose some.

That pic could be one of those "luxurious" studio apartments that are being built in Pattaya these days by "reputable" developers.

" One thing has definitely changed is that years ago people like Barlow & Chambers and many others were trying to smuggle drugs out of Malaysia, these days the trend seems to be to smuggle drugs in to Malaysia."

I made that comment as a simple observation of what has become the trend. And I don't describe the same significance to it that you do. Contrary to what you think, Malaysians in the 80's were reliant on imported drugs as the drug of choice was heroin and was imported.There was never any home grown production, it was however well known as somewhere it could be purchased much more cheaply than the West.

What has happened now is that the synthetic market has boomed in Malaysia, meth is now second only to heroin hence the increased amount of people being caught importing it. As well as that Malaysia has a growing problem with party drugs like Erimin 5 and has busted quite a few labs for production.

" KUALA LUMPUR: Police statistics show that 10,500 drug traffickers have been detained under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 since 2009, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein told Parliament Monday.

Hishammuddin said 2,955 offenders were detained in 2009, another 3,700 in 2010 while 3,845 were nabbed last year.

"The police statistics showed drug trafficking offences increased due to a number of factors, especially because some see drug trafficking as an opportunity to earn big bucks in a short period.

"Another factor that has contributed to an increase in drug distribution activities is the availability of synthetic drugs, which can be processed easily because the formula and raw material are easily available," he said in a written reply to a question by Karpal Singh (DAP-Bukit Gelugor). - Bernama "

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/3/19/nation/20120319140710&sec=nation

Whether you agree with Malaysia's drug laws is one thing, ascribing success to them is another.

Apologies. Edit problems with my tablet.

I think the message is clear, to all drug mules in Malaysia, DEATH is the consequence.

This is strong deterrent which is not circumvented by lawyers or rights groups lobbies or a bleeding heart judge to control.

Pure justice and no aberration. Think how many lives would be saved if all countries did this.

Then we could go after alcohol, tobacco, wall street, and all the other cancers of society.

I'm actually surprised many times over.

Why is this a 'braking news' category?

Why over 130 posters feel like saying something?

Offender is not claiming any excuses as there is none.

Offender is not a 'born yesterday' innocent. Most likely would sell the shit at his own bar. Not a destitute desperado either.

Malaysia has its rules and laws. We all know this is no joke. He gambled and lost. Not the first, not the last one.

The Swedish know better than to interfere. So do the Iranians. Why such a long and heated debate here on this Forum?

Nothing we say changes anything. coffee1.gif

So why did you bother saying anything whistling.gif

I didn't say anything regarding the issue.

I was and now even more so surprised that so many people in so many words and for so long are prepared to wag their tongues about such an inconsequential event.

I am sure the guy who is really involved has less to say than some. coffee1.gif

BTW, why not have a cuppa too? And take it easy...wai2.gif

Swede on Malaysian death row: I’m prepared to die
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

On Thursday Swedish Ferry Linnbark was sentenced to death by hanging by a court of law in Malaysia. He was found guilty of smuggling 4.3 kilos of amphetamine in 2011.

He is now awaiting execution in a small single cell in the feared Kajang prison. Swedish post Expressen visited him in the prison where he about the horrible conditions of death row.

”I am prepared to die. I know that I am innocent. I have my pride and nobody can take that away from me,” he said.

Up until the ruling on Thursday he was in Sunghai Buloh prison, just North of Kuala Lumpur. After the ruling he was escorted directly to death row at Kajang prison.

”All who are sentenced to death get their own cell. I am in here 24 hours a day. There is no toilet, just a hole in the floor. It stinks beyond imagination from the drain. There is no running water either.

He told Expressen that he is not allowed outside and the cell is so small that it is impossible to exercise.

”Nobody cares if we live or die. We are just waiting to be executed or die from a heart attack. My cell has been flooded. When it rains the sewage water comes up from the drain. It stinks terribly. My madras was soaked with sewage water. When I told the guards that I wanted a new one they laughed and asked if I thought I was in a hotel,” he explains.

Ferry Linnbark still claims to be innocent of all charges but has come to terms with situation.

“I am convicted and I have accepted the situation. Now I am just waiting to die. But I am strong. If you are not mentally strong you will not make it,” he says.

Read the full article from Expressen here

Source: http://scandasia.com/swede-on-malaysian-death-row-im-prepared-to-die/

-- ScandAsia 2013-04-17

4.3 Kgs is a bit hard to deny for personal use or any knowledge within one's baggage (hardly a plant). Don't worry about the humane conditions of your cell - it is only temporary. No compassion from my side. Drugs are the scourge of the 20th and 21st centuries and is compounding. Whoever this lot was meant for - destruction of themselves or people around them will ensue so you may as well have destroyed them yourself. Karma has a way of evening things out. And since there is no confession, remorse or any mention of where the drugs originated from I think the sooner the sentence is carried out, the better.

• Like 1

”All who are sentenced to death get their own cell

Nice . . . a luxury afforded t only the chosen few . . .

the cell is so small that it is impossible to exercise

Oh dear . . . the resort isn't well managed, is it

”Nobody cares if we live or die.

About as much as you care about th people that would have dies had they taken your shi!

If you are not mentally strong you will not make it,” he says.

Make what, exactly? Your execution date? Yes, definitely something to look forward to

Nope, no compassion for this guy, though I don't think he should be put to death . . . which he won't anyway

4.3 Kgs is a bit hard to deny for personal use or any knowledge within one's baggage (hardly a plant). Don't worry about the humane conditions of your cell - it is only temporary. No compassion from my side. Drugs are the scourge of the 20th and 21st centuries and is compounding. Whoever this lot was meant for - destruction of themselves or people around them will ensue so you may as well have destroyed them yourself. Karma has a way of evening things out. And since there is no confession, remorse or any mention of where the drugs originated from I think the sooner the sentence is carried out, the better.

Oh Pfff.. No matter ... Hardly a reason to put someone to death considering so many other crimes committed that go totally but totally unpunished and that are far more severe, serious and that have killed numerous people ... I still think this is a set up and rubbish and even if it wasn't // Death penalty ... !!?? Please ... Where is the world going believimg all this hypocrisy from these countries .///

• Like 1

Great sentence.

Should really be carried out in public and put on the tv in high definition to warn others of the same punishment.

Didn't realize there were so many sadistics morons here on TV...what a cruel reality to face ! Wow ... really quite Mind Blowing .. almost like little a heap of little Hitler Babies have poped up and are qwirming around and itching to kill!!

• Like 1

Personally, I believe this is pretty extreme for carrying drugs. This guy would have to be a loon to pack drugs in his bag and go through an airport with a potential death penalty.

I think the law is too strict with a death penalty for carrying drugs. Jail time is appropriate. The drugs could have been planted and he can't deny he is the owner of the drugs. So if you want to get rid of your competition (bar owner) just pay off the security and plant drugs on the guy.

To implement a death penalty, the law should force the prosecution to prove intent to sell or distribute. That way he is actively demonstrating he is breaking the law. The way the present law is, it's way too easy to set someone up.

Malaysia is a scary country and I can absolutely vouch for that and also vouch for your claim of "The drugs could have been planted and he can't deny he is the owner of the drugs".... I had a very scary and unerving experience there a very long time ago wherein I was threatened to withdraw a complaint lest I would be faced with Possesion of Drugs and as they said to me then ... Surely you know what the penalty for that would be ,,, !! And as I said this was quite a long time ago.... Obviously nothing there has changed and yes I find it hard to believe that this guy would be stupid enough to just throw this stuff in a suitcase and try / expect to walk through incognito ... ?? Duhhh !!rolleyes.gif

Greed knows no bounds....he would of made a mint selling it in Thailand. Fast-buck-Freddy. He might of gotten away with it before..who knows. He looks kind of constipated in the pic. though.

Maybe you would look the same if you had just been given the DEATH SENTANCE /// I really cannot understand why peple on TV Automatically ASSUME things .. and conclude everything in one second without any knowledge whatsoever of the real events ... Amazing TV this is .. we can now refer to Thai Visa as ATV...! which is pretty much equivalent to TIT ( This is Thailand !) or OS ( Land of Smiles ) or maybe TVS ( Thai Visa Smiles ) ... ?? Allay godday !