Exterior Roll-Up Sunshade?

telstrareg

We have a problem in that the afternoon sun heats up a wall on one side of the house and it stays hot well into the night. We have insulation installed on top of the ceiling which actually amplifies the problem because the hot wall heats up the air in the room which then gets trapped at the ceiling. So the only solution at the moment is to try and vent the hot air through the windows using a fan or run the AC for longer and harder.

I was thinking the best solution might be some kind of vertical roll-up sunshade that could drop as low as the level of the fence which goes around the house and then be rolled up as required. Hand or motor operated would be OK. I was thinking of system which could be attached under the eaves. The width of wall to be shaded is 4.5 meters.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? This is all my speculation so suggestions on any other practical solutions are welcome.

We have some large roll-up blinds on our downstairs seating area, the brown things in this photo. They roll up from the bottom round a steel tube.

post-14979-0-29390500-1365839729_thumb.j

We're not in CM, but most outside restaurants have something similar, a few words there should point you in the right direction.

IIRC our 4m wide by 3m high ones were about 5k Baht each, fitted.

I have several of the same roll up blinds around the house. But if your only goal is to block heat build up from the sun and they will not be used to block rain I might try a different material. If the fence is right beside the house the tarp material itself and the airspace around it heats up a lot in direct sunlight and will still heat up the wall to higher than ambient temperature. If it would suit your home, I might try the same thing but made of split bamboo pieces woven together, like you would see at grassroots type Oceanside bungalows and restaurants. This kind of thing would also not set sail with as much force when the wind picks up, but would still need to be secured lightly in moderate winds.

We have some large roll-up blinds on our downstairs seating area, the brown things in this photo. They roll up from the bottom round a steel tube.

attachicon.gifImage00002.jpg

We're not in CM, but most outside restaurants have something similar, a few words there should point you in the right direction.

IIRC our 4m wide by 3m high ones were about 5k Baht each, fitted.

You just roll them up by hand? Can one person do it and how is it secured once rolled up? Something like this would be OK I think.

I have several of the same roll up blinds around the house. But if your only goal is to block heat build up from the sun and they will not be used to block rain I might try a different material. If the fence is right beside the house the tarp material itself and the airspace around it heats up a lot in direct sunlight and will still heat up the wall to higher than ambient temperature. If it would suit your home, I might try the same thing but made of split bamboo pieces woven together, like you would see at grassroots type Oceanside bungalows and restaurants. This kind of thing would also not set sail with as much force when the wind picks up, but would still need to be secured lightly in moderate winds.

White or cream would look good at our place and would also reflect heat better. There would be no issues with heat buildup because the area would not be closed off like in the picture. Hot air would vent out the sides.

I'm having a tough time explaining to my partner why after spending about 10,000 insulating the ceiling the second bedroom is hotter! During the day now most of the house takes longer to heat up and and peaks a few degrees cooler than before. The flip side is that what heat does get in, stays longer so you have to get the hot air out with the AC or fans more actively in the evenings. However second bedroom now actually gets hotter in the afternoon than before because most of the heat it receives comes not from the ceiling but through the wall and with the ceiling now insulated, heat builds up more than before. The trick is to open the windows on that side fo the house as soon as the sun hits it. That way the heat there has less chance to climb obove external ambient termperature.

You just roll them up by hand? Can one person do it and how is it secured once rolled up? Something like this would be OK I think.

Easy to pull up via ropes, my wife can do without difficulty, wrap the ropes round cleats to secure in any position.

If it's just a wall to shade, trees would be best as LM notes. Bananas grow fast, have big shady leaves and bear fruit (often too much fruit).

Also consider a slatted wood or Shera shade stood off the wall by 12" or so, keeps direct sun off the wall and allows airflow to prevent heat build-up behind it.