Car Accident

Sitting at Bo Phut on red traffic lights last night at about 8.50 pm. I was suddenly hit in the rear and shunted into the car waiting for the green, in front of me. Getting out of my car, i asked the guilty driver to wait whilst i went to the front car to make sure everybody were ok. Then the car behind just did the Thai thing and "took off" It was a Black car maybe a Toyota Fortuner, but i am not sure, however his number is 8783. He had minor damage to his front, but what an utter bastard! Luckily i am fully insured and have a current driving licence, but my damage is extensive and to make matters worse i missed my Premiership team, Southampton play West Ham ,i have been looking forward to watching it all week at the Premier Bar Bang Rak. The car is a Toyota Vios only a few months old. I have been riding my motorcy on the island for nearly 7 years without an accident and never normally use the car on the island, but last night it was raining so my partner insisted i take the car...............Bugger !

• Like 1

Looks like your partner is going to be in trouble for weeks. As for the number 8783 it will mean nothing without the letters before it. As it happened at the Bophut lights the police there should have it on cctv. The way i see it's damn bad luck but the insurance will sort out and I do expect you will pay more for your insurance premium next year.

Looks like your partner is going to be in trouble for weeks. As for the number 8783 it will mean nothing without the letters before it. As it happened at the Bophut lights the police there should have it on cctv. The way i see it's damn bad luck but the insurance will sort out and I do expect you will pay more for your insurance premium next year.

The same thing happened to my wife some years back. sad.png

Went to Bophut police "you have to go to Nathon". whistling.gif

We went to Nathon "Are you insured?"

"Yes"

"Then tell the insurance company that it happened at night outside your house whilst you were asleep. Goodbye!"wink.png

There were no CCTV cameras back then. Good luck.

I got the same experience many years ago in Samui.

I took the plate numbers only and made a police report.

The police got the owner of the car in few hours .

How did they catch him? Did the person become a born again buddhist, walk into the station and give himself up?biggrin.png

first thing i do when an accident is take a photo

sometimes before i even get out of a car\

when the person gets out i get a snap of the driver also.

now i just do out of habbit.

as for the fortuna. u might get lucky as if you find the car black with the number plate. maybe with out the letters u miugth be able to link it to the crash by the damage on his car which is why u might want to nake a report.

i know the thai shall say someone else was driving so this is why u need a poilice report with date and time of the incodent as if there is any cctv then it is a nightmare to find thee accident with out the date and time.

the is a family mart after those lights that might also have cctv there are cameras every were round there. if day time then might be easier to see.

night time maybe harder. hold on .... 850 pm so it would have been dark. well make the report at bohput police station u might get lucky.

even offer a reward for catching theXXXXXX just out of spite

Edited by Rooo

The letters show its a Samui vehicle, but seeing as how i have got insurance and a licence the police could'nt care less. If it ever happens again, i will have his keys in my hand pronto !

I dont think you missed much"old sailor" it was 1-1.sorry to hear about the accident but as you said its a "given' that a thai driver will bugger off from the scene of an accident.

Yep you are right there mate, but i was concerned for the old couple in the car in front of me, as they did get a nasty wack. 1-1 not too bad better than Lawro's forcasted 1-2 and we are still in front of WHU.

as for the fortuna. u might get lucky as if you find the car black with the number plate. maybe with out the letters u miugth be able to link it to the crash by the damage on his car which is why u might want to nake a report.

i know the thai shall say someone else was driving so this is why u need a poilice report with date and time of the incodent as if there is any cctv then it is a nightmare to find thee accident with out the date and time.

the is a family mart after those lights that might also have cctv there are cameras every were round there. if day time then might be easier to see.

night time maybe harder. hold on .... 850 pm so it would have been dark. well make the report at bohput police station u might get lucky.

Mai pen lai mate, lessons to be learned every day even after 7 years. Did the full statement, thats why i never got to Premier bar in time, and it was pissing down at the time . Taking the car over to Toyota when they open again, but am told that they are pretty hopeless over there at Naton.

Looks like you have a lot of accidents mate. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Looks like you have a lot of accidents mate. biggrin.png

very true i have been involved in a fair few accidents lol

Took the car (Toyota Vios, 5 mths old) to Toyota today. They say it will take 3 months to fix and cost Bht 140,000 plus. My partners insurance will go up next year i suppose. And nobody appears to be interested in the vehicle which caused the accident, i have no idea how much to fix the car i was 'shunted' into.

We went to Nathon Police station, we made a report, the day after a policeman called us to inform us they got the driver (a farang) thru the plate number, address, etc and we met him at Nathon to get the money for the damage.

No reincarnation, just said I'm a Thaivisa mod laugh.png

yes if he was a forang then strong chanvcve he registered it on the island. easy peasy. for a thai that could have the car bought from anywhere in thailand including yala might find it ore difficult. if you report it quickerly enough or get a icture quickly then it is a small island whaty goes around does come back adventually. by now if u caught him the most u couyld probqably give him is a neating as too late to prove he done it.

Took the car (Toyota Vios, 5 mths old) to Toyota today. They say it will take 3 months to fix and cost Bht 140,000 plus. My partners insurance will go up next year i suppose. And nobody appears to be interested in the vehicle which caused the accident, i have no idea how much to fix the car i was 'shunted' into.

who said crime don't pay sorry to hear about that

No surprise, farang Toyota Fortuner drivers are amongst the worst drivers in Thailand!

where the hell did you get statistic from. i am one for saying what ever comes into my head but that coment takes the piss. so if i went into a ford and drove it i would be a great driver,. if i swapped cars for the day with a fortuna then i would be one of the worst on the island ha ha

• Like 1

Any luck re #9?

NO ! but it was dark, raining very hard and three cars were involved. I don't know wether the insurance company will persue the offending driver, but he is Thai, so i doubt it. He probably has no insurance or money and will claim that he was not driving the car at the time ! This is Thailand, they have an insured Farang, what more do they want !

Edited by oldsailor35

I know the vehicle and driver by sight. His damage was slight, so probably will not be repaired. If i see him he will be stalked until i have the chance to do a little more damage. I know this will stir a few up, but it will take me a long time to settle down.

I know the vehicle and driver by sight. His damage was slight, so probably will not be repaired. If i see him he will be stalked until i have the chance to do a little more damage. I know this will stir a few up, but it will take me a long time to settle down.

If I had the info (inc CCTV) & felt I was being short-changed by my insurance company i'd send it to the underwriters/parent company (cc youtube) & watch it roll downhill.

On a seperate note I can't see a fortuna (the offending vehicle in the OP) not being insured....

Edited by evadgib

If I had the info (inc CCTV) & felt I was being short-changed by my insurance company i'd send it to the underwriters/parent company (cc youtube) & watch it roll downhill.

On a seperate note I can't see a fortuna (the offending vehicle in the OP) not being insured....

Most of them on the never never, I think insurance is compulsory if that's the case.

Take a drive around the panel beaters on the island & gave a look.

Most of them on the never never, I think insurance is compulsory if that's the case.

My take on this I would be pissed for weeks and want to do something but there is very little you can do. The insurance company has now taken over, the 140,000bt is 25% of the value of your vehicle so some photo's would be good to see. You will most likely be out of pocket for your excess which is normally about 3,000bt then next year your insurance could go up by 5,000bt. Is the car still drivable if so keep using till all the part's arrive for the repair then you will be more comfortable.

My take on this I would be pissed for weeks and want to do something but there is very little you can do. The insurance company has now taken over, the 140,000bt is 25% of the value of your vehicle so some photo's would be good to see. You will most likely be out of pocket for your excess which is normally about 3,000bt then next year your insurance could go up by 5,000bt. Is the car still drivable if so keep using till all the part's arrive for the repair then you will be more comfortable.

wow great advise. if the car is still drivable then drive it. I have a dent on my car and it is still drivable. i was going to leave it for a few months till i could get it fixed but with your wisdom John1 i think i might take it for a spin. thanks. You are an amazingly clever man. can i use you for advise consultant. Do you have a website??

I mean imagine have a car that is drivable and not driving it. silly peoplecoffee1.gif