173 Deaths In First Three Days Of Songkran

Lite Beer

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe those high numbers of casualties during a holiday season are unique in the world.

Google "holiday death statistics" The toll here is relatively small when compared to other countries, for example, the 8 day new years period in South Africa this year, over 1,400 died. The US has over 45,000 vehicle deaths every year (about 5 times the population than Thailand).

• Like 2

I believe those high numbers of casualties during a holiday season are unique in the world.

Indeed they are! Most countries with good highway infrastructure, strong driving laws enforcement, and skilled, capable ( I say that with some reluctance) drivers see holiday death tolls at a fraction of Thailand's during this and other holiday seasons. Most in this forum know why they're so high.

NOW...., ban all motor bike traffic (without exception!) during this time and the number would be cut by 65%+. Unfortunate that this is the single most common form of transportation here.

Google "holiday death statistics" The toll here is relatively small when compared to other countries, for example, the 8 day new years period in South Africa this year, over 1,400 died. The US has over 45,000 vehicle deaths every year (about 5 times the population than Thailand).

Figures from Thailand last year: more than 26000 death, around 19000 motorbike victims.

Indeed they are! Most countries with good highway infrastructure, strong driving laws enforcement, and skilled, capable ( I say that with some reluctance) drivers see holiday death tolls at a fraction of Thailand's during this and other holiday seasons. Most in this forum know why they're so high.

NOW...., ban all motor bike traffic (without exception!) during this time and the number would be cut by 65%+. Unfortunate that this is the single most common form of transportation here.

Why stop there?

Ban alcohol as well.

tongue.png

Better still, ban people from throwing water at passing vehicles, but this being Thailand they won't.

• Like 1

Why stop there.. why not ban motorcycles all together?

Why stop there.. why not ban motorcycles all together?

A big majority of people travel by motorbike. It's their way of life and extremely dangerous considering driving abilities.

A post containing a copy and paste of a Bangkok Post news article has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Ban all car, truck, and bus traffic, too, and the numbers get even better.

• Like 1

Don.t know where you get you information but when I checked found the US in 2010 had 32,885 fatalities and 2011 had 32,367. The last time it hit 45,000 was 1989.