173 Deaths In First Three Days Of Songkran

Lite Beer

Well, I just read on my phone, if I can find a way to link it showing 12000+ defined dead at the scene according to the WTO. I have the PDF here.

They report that many stats have to be extrapolated but 12000 at the scene can represent double in comparison with the 30 comparison used elsewhere.

The 2013 (covering 2010) WHO report lists Thailand as having 13,365 deaths within 30-days of the accident. Thailand reported 8,093 deaths for this same year. Basically they add about 40%, for less rich nations, to cover people dying within 30-days.

Where the latest report obviously goes wrong and what many people want to latch onto is a real number is to then take that 13,000 number and double it to say that is the total for all road deaths this year no matter how long after the accident they occur (maybe they didn't even happen yet). Previous reports didn't double the number and this is an obvious mistake as you can see from the graphs and no other country's numbers doubled or came anywhere close to having any kind of significant increase from the last report.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just read on my phone, if I can find a way to link it showing 12000+ defined dead at the scene according to the WTO. I have the PDF here.

They report that many stats have to be extrapolated but 12000 at the scene can represent double in comparison with the 30 comparison used elsewhere.

The 2013 (covering 2010) WHO report lists Thailand as having 13,365 deaths within 30-days of the accident. Thailand reported 8,093 deaths for this same year. Basically they add about 40%, for less rich nations, to cover people dying within 30-days.

Where the latest report obviously goes wrong and what many people want to latch onto is a real number is to then take that 13,000 number and double it to say that is the total for all road deaths this year no matter how long after the accident they occur (maybe they didn't even happen yet). Previous reports didn't double the number and this is an obvious mistake as you can see from the graphs and no other country's numbers doubled or came anywhere close to having any kind of significant increase from the last report.

It could be an error or an extrapolation.

The 2007 number shows 12000 at the scene.

Can't insert it from my phone, but it doesn't really matter whether it's 6th or 16th in the world. It may become OK to say driving in Thailand is acceptably good, internationally, when it gets to 66th.