Brisbane - How Long From Airport To Thai Consulate?

Thanks Masuk. I will be getting the train and going to the consulate the next morning. So I can walk from South Brisbane station to the consulate in 10 min? Excellent. I'm just looking for a single room accommodation for one night now. I will have been on a plane leaving bkk at midnight (9 hours) arriving in Brisbane noon (3 hours ahead from Thai). So I suspect I will crash around 8-9pm having essentially been up all night. But that first night I will go to where ever the main shopping area is and cruise around, maybe pick up some bottles of wine, and anything else I can find. And then be up early so will have lots of time to get to the consulate by train and walking. I expect to be done by 10:30am so walk back to the South Brisbane station train station and go straight to the airport. Check in by noon and departing at 14:00.

Green, Out curiosity, what visa are traveling all the way to Aus for, was no where closer to Thailand an option ?

Not sure of your finacial situation (given you are looking to stay in a back papers I assume pretty tight) but whilst you have taken the effort to travel there why not hang around for a few days and have a look round ?

That's the closest (and quickest) from Thai. Yes I am thinking the same thing, longs ways to go to turn around and come straight back, but yes I am unfortunately on a budget, the hotels are the drain, what sort of things are there to do in Brisbane? An afternoon/evening shopping is about all I plan to do at the moment.

Shopping? Brisbane? Really?

Forget about it... Everything shuts at 6pm...

As long as it's not pissing down with rain, park yourself at any number of bars or pubs and savour the flavour of decent beer (VB, Tooheys New, Carlton Draught or XXXX do not count as decent beer either) and enjoy the view...

Never managed anything better than a 3-day turnaround from the Annerley Consulate - put the form in Monday and pick up my passport on Wednesday - but that's no biggie when you live a few km away in West End. They never hassled me, but I did see the Thai staff member at the counter give some poor sod a hard time re his application. Even though its reportedly headed by an Aussie, I think it's wise to adopt the 'TiT' attitude espoused earlier in this thread - smile, nod and try not to look like a man in a desperate hurry to get to the airport wink.png

My multi entry non b I got from there in 2006 was issued same day.

My non-B was issued after I'd gone and had a coffee and sandwich nearby. About 90 minutes!

Was told to have a coffee and come back in 1 hour. 35 minutes later I returned and was already available. This was 2011. Maybe MR WORLDWIDE was not very aggreeable with what he was told by the staff.

I dropped it off and got a phone call two days later to come and pick it up - it was a Tourist visa each time and there was no urgency on my part. For those who are willing to hang around Annerley for 60-90 months (from memory, there is a classic pub across the road), more power to you - personally, I'd rather have root canal. I worked in Woollongabba for 8 months and it was the longest 3 years of my life wink.png.

Edited by MrWorldwide

I walked around Woollangabba for 2 hours, trying to find an ATM as the Thai Consulate would only accept cash.

A very long two hours!! Not a very interesting place.

I walked around Woollangabba for 2 hours, trying to find an ATM as the Thai Consulate would only accept cash.

A very long two hours!! Not a very interesting place.

They must have cleaned the place up. At one time you would need to find another ATM on the way back to replace the cash you "lost".

The Gabba is quite expensive now, at least in terms of real estate, but a lot of 'the old brigade' linger in that area - Stones Corner, Coorparoo, Kangaroo Point - and it can still be dodgy at night. Brissie is a weird city - before they redeveloped South Bank for Expo 88, that side of the Brisbane River was widely considered a 'no-go' zone. South Brisbane went from an embarrassment to a tourist attraction (and Yuppie dormitory) in a very short period of time, but only after they bulldozed the majority of what used to be there. Maybe there's hope for the Valley yet ;)

I maybe wrong but I think you have to have the correct money.I am pretty sure my mate had go to a shop to get some change,I will stand corrected if this is not the case,I am old and the memory is not 100%

Planning on staying 5 min walk from 'Fortitude Valley' underground station, then in the morning taking that train to Park Rd station, and walking from there to the embassy. (Will that work?)

Evening before I will be in the city by about 14:00, and plan to pick up a few things: vitamins, some wine, etc. What would be a good place to go for that, a shopping area. If everywhere closes by 6pm then I would probably just have time to go to one central place.

Anyone know what the limits are for bringing back wine/beer?

Thanks.

Planning on staying 5 min walk from 'Fortitude Valley' underground station, then in the morning taking that train to Park Rd station, and walking from there to the embassy. (Will that work?)

Evening before I will be in the city by about 14:00, and plan to pick up a few things: vitamins, some wine, etc. What would be a good place to go for that, a shopping area. If everywhere closes by 6pm then I would probably just have time to go to one central place.

Anyone know what the limits are for bringing back wine/beer?

Thanks.

One Litre.

Hey, I don't know the exact location of where you are going in Annerly but I really doubt you could walk from Sth Bris station to there.

I think there is another station after that that may be a little closer, try Southbank station, may shorten the walk quite a bit, but as I said, I don't know exactly where you have to go.

Perhaps someone on that side of town could let you know for sure though.

If you are staying in 'The Valley' then no problem getting a few beers but still, it will be hard to find anything open for 'shopping'. Just walk out of the valley station and turn left and you will see a Mall with lots of bars and restaurants, just set yourself up with a few ales and enjoy.

Really, Brisbane city area pretty much closes down at about 6pm. Though there is late night shopping in the Queen St Mall in the city, not sure but I think it is on Friday night. But everything expensive so wouldn't actually buy anything there.

Hey, I don't know the exact location of where you are going in Annerly but I really doubt you could walk from Sth Bris station to there.

I think there is another station after that that may be a little closer, try Southbank station, may shorten the walk quite a bit, but as I said, I don't know exactly where you have to go.

Perhaps someone on that side of town could let you know for sure though.

If you are staying in 'The Valley' then no problem getting a few beers but still, it will be hard to find anything open for 'shopping'. Just walk out of the valley station and turn left and you will see a Mall with lots of bars and restaurants, just set yourself up with a few ales and enjoy.

Really, Brisbane city area pretty much closes down at about 6pm. Though there is late night shopping in the Queen St Mall in the city, not sure but I think it is on Friday night. But everything expensive so wouldn't actually buy anything there.

Ok, now I must be losing the plot, I'm quoting myself. smile.png

You are going to Annerly Road, Gabba, not Annerly the suburb.

I would think it best to get the train to Park Road, seems a shorter walk than from Southbank, Sth Brisbane station even further.

After you get your business done why not walk back to Southbank, it will be mostly downhill and Southbank is well worth a walk around and then walk over the bridge into the city centre and train just the one stop to Valley.

Good luck

Thanks Fdog, yes the station closest to the consulate is Park Rd Station. After Im done at the embassy have to go straight to the airport, but i arrive the day before in the afternoon, so plan to go to the city center for a few hours then back to hotel...

Thanks Fdog, yes the station closest to the consulate is Park Rd Station. After Im done at the embassy have to go straight to the airport, but i arrive the day before in the afternoon, so plan to go to the city center for a few hours then back to hotel...

Don't forget that the ticket to the airport is much more expensive than to local stations. Even more so if you're buying a 'paper ticket' for one trip only. It's all to do with that airport track is considered 'private'.

Allow about $30 each way.

Don't forget that the ticket to the airport is much more expensive than to local stations. Even more so if you're buying a 'paper ticket' for one trip only. It's all to do with that airport track is considered 'private'.

Allow about $30 each way.

Jeeez that must have jumped in price. I think last time I used it it was about $15 for a one way but that was just from city to airport. From other stations it would be more expensive.

But anyway, it aint cheap.