Pheu Thai Eyes Amnesty Bill Reading This Week

webfact

AMNESTY BILL
Pheu Thai eyes Amnesty Bill reading this week

The Nation

Ruling party MPs push for draft to be placed at top of agenda; Kachit mulls new bill that would include Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai MPs will ask for their amnesty bill to be moved to the top the House agenda on Thursday and they are confident it will clear the first reading on Friday.

Meanwhile, another Pheu Thai MP, Kachit Chainikhom (Udon Thani) said he was considering proposing a new bill of his own that would also absolve former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, so that it could be deliberated along with the pending amnesty bill of Samut Prakan MP Worachai Hema.

Kachit said he would ask the party during a meeting of Pheu Thai MPs on Wednesday to approve his version of the amnesty bill. If the party approved it, he would submit it to the House so that it could be debated together with Worachai's version.

Kachit said his version would seek to absolve all people, including Thaksin, accused of wrongdoing in politically related incidents since the September 19, 2006 coup.

Worachai's bill would exclude Thaksin and the authorities as well as red-shirt leaders from the amnesty, which is mainly aimed at absolving political demonstrators.

Worachai, a red-shirt leader who co-sponsored the bill, said yesterday that he would propose to the House meeting on Thursday that the bill be moved to the top of the agenda.

He said he had sounded out opinions of other Pheu Thai MPs and he was confident he would be able to gather enough votes to ask the House to urgently deliberate the bill on Friday.

He said he would explain to the meeting of Pheu Thai MPs on Wednesday the need for urgent deliberation of the amnesty bill.

"I've talked to other Pheu Thai MPs and all agreed that we need to urgently help the people," Worachai said.

He said that if House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranont agreed to have a meeting held on Friday, the bill would be deliberated in the first reading immediately.

Worachai said if the bill was not debated on Friday, he would consult with Somsak and coalition whips to have it deliberated during an extra parliamentary session for the 2014 budget bill.

Worachai said the bill could be deliberated during extra parliamentary sessions because most MPs would not make foreign trips at that time.

Pheu Thai party-list MP Cherdchai Tantisirin said Pheu Thai would definitely ask for the rescheduling of Worachai's bill during the meeting on Thursday.

Cherdchai said most Pheu Thai MPs supported the proposal to move the bill to the top of the agenda.

Pheu Thai leader Charupong Ruangsuwan said the party had no formal stand on Worachai's bill but Pheu Thai MPs wanted to enact the bill to provide justice to the people.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-15

Murders,rapists,thiefs and arsonists-give all absolution? How easy the ignorant can be cultivated!

"It would kill the past, and when that was dead, he would be free.”

― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

• Like 1

How time flies when you have fun, doesn't it? Only five days ago we had

"House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont said yesterday he had asked the government, opposition and Senate whips to organise a special joint House-Senate meeting to complete the session begun last Wednesday, following a complaint from the opposition....The joint meeting considering the first reading of constitutional amendment bills adjourned on Wednesday after the parliamentarians failed to agree on a timeframe for an ad-hoc panel for a second reading."

Now we get a full program before the house session ends on the 20th. Still wondering if all MPs will be back in time from their well earned and deserved holiday break. Apart from the 45 selected to study the three article amendments, feel sorry for them.

Looks like someone is getting impatient. Skyped Songkran rhetoric to fire up the storm troopers and hopefully intimidate the members of the constitutional court - "stay out of my way, or else".

Then "let's forgive and forget". Now let's crank up the Amnesty bill through parliament.

But isn't the PTP leaders criminal conviction non-political? And doesn't he face outstanding also non-political charges?

The whole fiasco is simply to bring back the leader to take power, at any cost or consequences. Then the retribution will really start.

Looks like someone is getting impatient. Skyped Songkran rhetoric to fire up the storm troopers and hopefully intimidate the members of the constitutional court - "stay out of my way, or else".

Then "let's forgive and forget". Now let's crank up the Amnesty bill through parliament.

But isn't the PTP leaders criminal conviction non-political? And doesn't he face outstanding also non-political charges?

The whole fiasco is simply to bring back the leader to take power, at any cost or consequences. Then the retribution will really start.

I believe the officially-endorsed term is "politically motivated". The charges against him are for breaking criminal Law, not political Law.

If I had been convicted of anything since 2006, and I were to claim it was politically motivated...?

I believe the officially-endorsed term is "politically motivated". The charges against him are for breaking criminal Law, not political Law.

If I had been convicted of anything since 2006, and I were to claim it was politically motivated...?

Amnesty is only good for Thaksin for the crimes he hasn't been charged for yet, like terrorism, for his financing the red riots. For his criminal conviction he needs to rewrite history and have his conviction reversed so he can be the PM again.

• Like 1

Although convicted money launderers currently serving their sentences might be hoping that they will be amnestied together with Thaksin who is on the run, the proposed bill might have been written to exclude them. Lawyers might advise their clients to all sign up with the UDD to stand a chance of benefitting from the proposed political largesse.

Edited by yoshiwara