Americans Abroad: It's April 15 Tax Deadline But You've Already Got An Extension

I just heard that the USA is the only country in the world other than ERITREA that requires its citizens abroad to file tax forms.

I don't know if that is really true, but anyway, today is APRIL 15, the notorious tax filing deadline.

If you're living abroad today you get an AUTOMATIC two month extension to file and also to PAY taxes due! As you probably know for U.S. residents, the payment is still due April 15 even though you can get an extension to FILE for forms.

Automatic Extension: Expats get an automatic extension to file taxes

If you are living abroad on April 15 (the regular due date for your
return), you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your
return and pay federal income tax if you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent
Resident of the U.S. Therefore, the due date to file your taxes is June

15th.

If you want a LONGER extension you can file for an extension and get the deadline extended until April 15. You can do this for free at

taxact.com

and they do support foreign addresses.

I believe you can also file a later extension request after April 15 and before June 15 if you're living abroad. For the longer extensions, I think any payments would still be due June 15 even though you wouldn't have to file until October 15.

Edited by Jingthing

That is true - as far as it goes. For those out of the country on 4/15, the tax code grants an automatic extension of time to file and pay any tax due. If you need more time, you can request a further extension to 10/15 (if you file this request before 6/15.) The second extension is also "automatic," in that it will be accepted routinely, but it still must be requested in writing. Form 4868 if the form to use; it does not require a signature.

Even though IRS says the automatic extension is for both filing and paying, they still charge interest from 4/15. If payment is made after 6/15, they will also charge a late payment fee from 6/15

Incidentally, www.TaxAct.com is the only online tax service I can find for filing foreign-earned income. They have several pay-for-service elements included on their website, but creating and filing a basic return (including e-filing) is free, and fairly painless, depending on how complicated your taxes are.

Although I haven't paid USA taxes in 10 years (because my foreign-earned income is way below the exemption threshold), one still needs to file a return to avoid problems if/when you return to the USA. More and more, the IRS is linking to other agencies of the federal government (such as Homeland Security, and screening your passports at the border). Don't get caught with your pants down and/or your returns unfiled.

Edited by Fookhaht

Incidentally, www.TaxAct.com is the only online tax service I can find for filing foreign-earned income. They have several pay-for-service elements included on their website, but creating and filing a basic return (including e-filing) is free, and fairly painless, depending on how complicated your taxes are.

Although I haven't paid USA taxes in 10 years (because my foreign-earned income is way below the exemption threshold), one still needs to file a return to avoid problems if/when you return to the USA. More and more, the IRS is linking to other agencies of the federal government (such as Homeland Security, and screening your passports at the border). Don't get caught with your pants down and/or your returns unfiled.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this. The extension for paying tax due is a bit of a misnomer, because as "lanny" notes any taxes due but not paid by 15th April will accrue interest from that date. The question is "what form or voucher should one use to pay any additional tax due by 15th April?" I file and pay quarterly estimated US Federal Income Tax four times each year equal to the amount of federal tax I paid in the previous year to fall within the "safe harbor rule" to avoid an under withholding penalty. But with large increases in taxable income in 2012 (and again in 2013 (or it appears that way thus far)) that amount won't cover my total US federal tax liability. I sent a fifth quarterly estimated tax payment to the IRS last week to more than cover my 2012 US federal tax liability, and will apply the excess to my 2013 estimated US Federal income tax payments. Is there a better way to accomplish this? I guess I could have filed for a filing extension and paid the additional tax with the extension request filing even though such filing is not required. That seemed like "over kill".

Thanks for the clarification about still owing interest after unpaid taxes from 15 April. I also agree that you SHOULD file if there is anything in your record that might indicate you MIGHT not be under the income threshold for required filing even though you know you really are. For example gross amounts of stock sales which when filed will be much lower in actual income.

Edited by Jingthing

Not quite sure what you mean by "Incidentally, www.TaxAct.com is the only online tax service I can find for filing foreign-earned income."

I've been using Turbo-Tax for many years, including when I had foreign-earned income, and it could handle all the needed forms for foreign income and housing allowance issues. It's not free of course. I no longer have foreign-earned income, but still used Turbo-Tax this year and they offered e-filing ... although I kept getting a message that I could call the IRS to get a filing code, which I didn't feel like doing, so I just printed everything and mailed it in.

Also in another thread someone mentioned that everyone had to send in a TD F 90-22.1 to the treasury (not the IRS) if you had foreign bank or financial accounts, but that isn't required if your aggregate holdings at no time exceeded $10,000.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Also in another thread someone mentioned that everyone had to send in a TD F 90-22.1 to the treasury (not the IRS) if you had foreign bank or financial accounts, but that isn't required if your aggregate holdings at no time exceeded $10,000.

FBAR filing deadline June 30, 2013. And yes, if the aggregate holdings are >= $10,000 you must file. You can file electronically now also. FBAR

And take note of this for the future - "Electronic Filing for FBAR Forms – MANDATORY Beginning July 1, 2013"

Unless you have some really complicated tax situations, use Turbo Tax. It takes care of everything that most normal US expats encounter including foreign earned income. If you're really paranoid, pay an extra $49.95 and if you're audited, Turbo Tax takes care of everything for you.

FBAR filing deadline June 30, 2013. And yes, if the aggregate holdings are >= $10,000 you must file. You can file electronically now also. FBAR

And take note of this for the future - "Electronic Filing for FBAR Forms – MANDATORY Beginning July 1, 2013"

Finally the Treasury Dept enters the 21st century. Mailing those forms from oversea is a pain in the butt, and due to the Machiavellian penalties for not filing I also pay the 600 or so baht to send it via EMS so that I have a dated, non-disputable receipt.

If a US expat has 400K or 800K in the bank for Non O visas (Marriage or Retirement) you're aggregate is over $10K.and you must file. Watch out - The FBAR is required to be received NLT June 30. Man, I hope the electronic link works. That will save me 600 baht this year. That great news!

Edited by connda

You can file the TD F 90-22.1 (FBAR) electronically now! You have to apply at http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/Enroll_Individual_Step_01.html, For some reason the link gives a "page not found error" but the menu on the left side of the page works and you can look up how to E-file. It will send you to a page to submit the data, after which you will receive a confirmation, and click on it, set up a password and challenge phrases, then log into the site. Then follow the directions. Have fun! I wish the Turbo Tax would send this for me.

Edited by connda

Some very bad and very dangerous advice in this thread.

Being "out of the US" on April 15 is NOT itself sufficient to qualify for the automatic two-month extension.

While the instructions to the extension form do indeed say that if you "are out of the country" on April 15 you get an automatic extension, they go on in a later paragraph to define what "out of the country" means for this purpose:

You are out of the country if:

• You live outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of work is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or

• You are in military or naval service outside the United States and Puerto Rico.

That is, you must live and work outside the US to qualify for the automatic extension. Indeed, you can be "out of the country" even if you're in the US on April 15: "If you qualify as being out of the country, you will still be eligible for the extension even if you are physically present in the United States or Puerto Rico on the regular due date of the return."

Note that there's still time to file an online extension, since it's not yet midnight, April 15 in the US.

Unless you have some really complicated tax situations, use Turbo Tax. It takes care of everything that most normal US expats encounter including foreign earned income. If you're really paranoid, pay an extra $49.95 and if you're audited, Turbo Tax takes care of everything for you.

Why pay for a service that's free at TaxAct.com?

Generally (but not always) you get what you pay for.

Turbo Tax automatically takes info from my previous years' filings including bringing forward investment losses and master limited partnership data and it downloads everything from my broker, etc. I get Turbo Tax Premier for under $20 and the Basic version is free when used online via my broker's website.

The convenience, for me , is worth it. Only a few things I need to confirm or update and I'm good to go. If the free one does all that, it's probably a good deal, but $20 for a pretty hassle free experience is well worth it even now when my return is less complicated than when I was working.

• Like 2

Turbo Tax automatically takes info from my previous years' filings including bringing forward investment losses and master limited partnership data and it downloads everything from my broker, etc. I get Turbo Tax Premier for under $20 and the Basic version is free when used online via my broker's website.

The convenience, for me , is worth it. Only a few things I need to confirm or update and I'm good to go. If the free one does all that, it's probably a good deal, but $20 for a pretty hassle free experience is well worth it even now when my return is less complicated than when I was working.

+1 Agreed. TT is worth every penny. Usually get it on Amazon at a discount. Peace of mind and ease of filing is what I'm paying for.

By the way, E-filed yesterday (yeah I could wait to June 15, but why?), got my acceptance letter from the IRS via TT, Bob's your Uncle. Easy breezy!

Edited by connda

For taxes like yours, I would go with TT, too. But I was touting TaxAct for us with simpler lives! With my single income source and no (reportable) investments, why not do the freebie? wink.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the "heads up" on this. The extension for paying tax due is a bit of a misnomer, because as "lanny" notes any taxes due but not paid by 15th April will accrue interest from that date. The question is "what form or voucher should one use to pay any additional tax due by 15th April?" I file and pay quarterly estimated US Federal Income Tax four times each year equal to the amount of federal tax I paid in the previous year to fall within the "safe harbor rule" to avoid an under withholding penalty. But with large increases in taxable income in 2012 (and again in 2013 (or it appears that way thus far)) that amount won't cover my total US federal tax liability. I sent a fifth quarterly estimated tax payment to the IRS last week to more than cover my 2012 US federal tax liability, and will apply the excess to my 2013 estimated US Federal income tax payments. Is there a better way to accomplish this? I guess I could have filed for a filing extension and paid the additional tax with the extension request filing even though such filing is not required. That seemed like "over kill".

So you are one of those making over $400,000 single/$450,000 married, filing jointly in taxable income? Otherwise, your income taxes likely didn't go up. You may be confusing payroll taxes - that's for social security and medicare. Indeed, your social security taxes reset to the 6.2% rate that was in effect since Reagan's time in office, but were reduced 2% by Obama to stimulate economic activity after Bush blew up the economy. But income taxes didn't go up at all, unless you were a high-income earner.

Legally, you do not have to file a return unless you are required to pay income. I don't believe living outside of the U.S. changes this issue at all. It would be up to the IRS to have proof that you likely had taxable income in order to audit you.

There is no connection, other than in your paranoia, to connect Border Patrol/Homeland Security action to your IRS tax situation - which is not legal under U.S. law.

Edited by qdinthailand
  • Like 1

Legally, you do not have to file a return unless you are required to pay income. I don't believe living outside of the U.S. changes this issue at all. It would be up to the IRS to have proof that you likely had taxable income in order to audit you.

There is no connection, other than in your paranoia, to connect Border Patrol/Homeland Security action to your IRS tax situation - which is not legal under U.S. law.

There IS a connection, despite your Pollyanna dreams . . . .

Quoting the first few sentences of the previous poster's first link:

"If you owe the IRS, Homeland Security may question you at the airport.
"Taxpayers traveling to and from the United States with unpaid U.S. tax assessments can be detained at the border, questioned, and flagged for follow-up enforcement. If a taxpayer has an unpaid tax liability and is subject to a resulting Notice of Federal Tax Lien, the IRS may submit identifying taxpayer information to the Treasury Enforcement Communications System (TECS), a database maintained by the Department of Homeland Security."

Read on (in the above link) to see exactly how the process works.

Quoting the first few lines from the above poster's second link....

While it's been known for years that the Canada Revenue Agency and the Internal Revenue Service exchange large amounts of information, it now appears that the IRS is also sharing information with Homeland Security, says Carol Fitzsimmons, with Buffalo-based law firm, Hodgson Russ LLP.

"A border crossing guard may have information readily available in his or her booth computer concerning a traveller's unpaid U.S. tax liabilities and may bar the traveller's entry into the United States," she writes in the latest edition of the Canadian Tax Foundation's publication Tax Highlights.

It would behoove QDINTHAILAND to do his research before trying to pass on his druthers/wishes as fact.

Edited by Fookhaht

So you are one of those making over $400,000 single/$450,000 married, filing jointly in taxable income? Otherwise, your income taxes likely didn't go up. You may be confusing payroll taxes - that's for social security and medicare. Indeed, your social security taxes reset to the 6.2% rate that was in effect since Reagan's time in office, but were reduced 2% by Obama to stimulate economic activity after Bush blew up the economy. But income taxes didn't go up at all, unless you were a high-income earner.

Please read my post again. I said that I had "large increases in taxable income" (emphasis added). I did not say or suggest that my tax rate increased from 2011 to 2012 -- but my taxable income certainly did! There is a big difference between "income taxes" and "income tax rates". If my taxable income doubles, my income taxes will go up significantly even if my tax rate remains unchanged. And yes, my income tax rates also rose -- lucky me! I will appreciate some thoughtful help on this point -- maybe I'll get some.

I sent a fifth quarterly estimated tax payment to the IRS last week to

more than cover my 2012 US federal tax liability, and will apply the

excess to my 2013 estimated US Federal income tax payments. Is there a

better way to accomplish this? I guess I could have filed for a filing

extension and paid the additional tax with the extension request filing

even though such filing is not required. That seemed like "over kill".

Not sure what form is available for a "fifth quarterly estimated tax payment." I do my quarterly payments through EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System), and one can use this system to pay additional 'underpayments' towards your 2012 income taxes. Doing so will automatically result in automatic extension of time to file.

See Form 4868 for other methods to send in 'underpayments.' Doing so, as said, will result in extension of time to file -- don't really see this as "over kill" -- and actually seems to be the "official" way to send in underpayments after you've already payed 4 quarters worth of estimated taxes. Here's an excerpt:

There are three ways to request an automatic extension of time to

file a U.S. individual income tax return.

1. You can file Form 4868 electronically by accessing IRS

e-file using your home computer or by using a tax professional who

uses e-file.

2. You can pay all or part of your estimate of income tax due

using a credit or debit card or by using the Electronic Federal

Tax Payment System (EFTPS).

3. You can file a paper Form 4868

I sent a fifth quarterly estimated tax payment to the IRS last week to

more than cover my 2012 US federal tax liability, and will apply the

excess to my 2013 estimated US Federal income tax payments. Is there a

better way to accomplish this? I guess I could have filed for a filing

extension and paid the additional tax with the extension request filing

even though such filing is not required. That seemed like "over kill".

Not sure what form is available for a "fifth quarterly estimated tax payment." I do my quarterly payments through EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System), and one can use this system to pay additional 'underpayments' towards your 2012 income taxes. Doing so will automatically result in automatic extension of time to file.

See Form 4868 for other methods to send in 'underpayments.' Doing so, as said, will result in extension of time to file -- don't really see this as "over kill" -- and actually seems to be the "official" way to send in underpayments after you've already payed 4 quarters worth of estimated taxes. Here's an excerpt:

>There are three ways to request an automatic extension of time to

file a U.S. individual income tax return.

1. You can file Form 4868 electronically by accessing IRS

e-file using your home computer or by using a tax professional who

uses e-file.

2. You can pay all or part of your estimate of income tax due

using a credit or debit card or by using the Electronic Federal

Tax Payment System (EFTPS).

3. You can file a paper Form 4868

Thanks. I will look at Form 4868. I prepared an additional 4th quarterly estimated tax voucher for 2012 and marked it "4A", changed the date to 15th April, and mailed it along with an additional payment/check. Hopefully, it will be applied correctly. I will likely use Form 4868 in the future.

I prepared an additional 4th quarterly estimated tax voucher for 2012 and marked it "4A", changed the date to 15th April, and mailed it along with an additional payment/check.

Interesting. Hopefully the person who received it isn't working there under the "hire the handicapped" program, as he may credit it against first quarter 2013 estimated taxes (did you write 2012 somewhere on the check you sent?).

If you look at the Form 4868, the part you mail in is the same coupon size as an estimated tax coupon, and functions as a 5th estimated tax payment.

And if you've over paid what you owe for 2012, it isn't even important that the 4868 gives you a filing extension until mid Oct 2013. You're not required to file in this situation. Of course, if you want a refund, or want to apply the excess to 2013 estimated taxes, then, yes, you'll have to file -- but do so at your leisure.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to see on-line, or elsewhere, how the IRS has dealt with your filings. EFTPS is nice, in that it's Federal, so when it keeps track of all my payments, I can be assured they've gone where indicated. Also, indicating to have any overpayment refunded, instead of credited against 2013 estimated taxes, will tell you things have been properly handled (or not).

The Feds have your money -- but exactly in which puka is the question..... Worst that can happen is future correspondence to sort things out.

In the UK we have a more sadistic system. You don't have to fill in a tax form as such. They just overtax you and wait for you to protest. At that point they tell you that in order to get everything straight you need to complete a tax form. They can then avoid any criticism that they areheavy handed by stating that, you like many others, do not object to completing tax returns, rather, you do it willingly of your own volition!

In the UK we have a more sadistic system. You don't have to fill in a tax form as such. They just overtax you and wait for you to protest

Yeah, we Yanks figured that out a few centuries back. Poured tea leaves into Boston Bay. Got ourselves a war, but no longer had to pay British taxes. Also, we then realized coffee went better with our morning crumpets than did tea.rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I prepared an additional 4th quarterly estimated tax voucher for 2012 and marked it "4A", changed the date to 15th April, and mailed it along with an additional payment/check.

Interesting. Hopefully the person who received it isn't working there under the "hire the handicapped" program, as he may credit it against first quarter 2013 estimated taxes (did you write 2012 somewhere on the check you sent?).

If you look at the Form 4868, the part you mail in is the same coupon size as an estimated tax coupon, and functions as a 5th estimated tax payment.

And if you've over paid what you owe for 2012, it isn't even important that the 4868 gives you a filing extension until mid Oct 2013. You're not required to file in this situation. Of course, if you want a refund, or want to apply the excess to 2013 estimated taxes, then, yes, you'll have to file -- but do so at your leisure.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to see on-line, or elsewhere, how the IRS has dealt with your filings. EFTPS is nice, in that it's Federal, so when it keeps track of all my payments, I can be assured they've gone where indicated. Also, indicating to have any overpayment refunded, instead of credited against 2013 estimated taxes, will tell you things have been properly handled (or not).

The Feds have your money -- but exactly in which puka is the question..... Worst that can happen is future correspondence to sort things out.

I hope you are right. The envelope contained 2 vouchers and 2 checks -- one for a final 2012 estimated tax payment and one for the first quarter 2013. I wrote "estimated tax 2012" on 1 check and "estimated tax 2013" on one check. It would be hard (but not impossible) for them to not understand what I was doing. I have an on-going issue with them now, so I will just add this to the pot, if necessary.....

In the UK we have a more sadistic system. You don't have to fill in a tax form as such. They just overtax you and wait for you to protest

Yeah, we Yanks figured that out a few centuries back. Poured tea leaves into Boston Bay. Got ourselves a war, but no longer had to pay British taxes. Also, we then realized coffee went better with our morning crumpets than did tea.rolleyes.gif

Yes, but then we added automatic payroll withholding, required quarterly estimated tax payments, etc, etc... Most Americans get money back from the IRS and need to file a return to do that. The real difference is tax rates, and with the way things are going in the US, we will likely equal or pass the Brits in tax rates (and many European countries), at least for people earning over $200,000. And for Brits living outside England, if they are smart, they can pay no tax at all, any where. In the US, they tax your "global income", so no matter where you live and work, Uncle Sam wants his share. To me, it is clear which system is more "sadistic"... Pass the tea. please.