90 Days Report - Do I Have To Pay Anything ?

Hi there,

I'd like to have a quick update on nthe 90 report. I've seen on this forum that you have to pay 2000 THB if you don't do it. What happens when you do it ? Do you have to pay something ? If so how much ?

Im just trying to figure out what the best option is:

1) Do my 90 report and don't pay or pay X THB.

or

2) Don't do my 90 report and pay 2000 THB fine at the end of the year.

What do you think ?

Thanks guys ;)

• Like 1

It doesn't cost anything, so better to do it.

The maximum fine listed on the 90-day report form is 5000B, and who knows what a year's failure to do it will get you.

You also get a red stamp on your passport for failing to do it, detailing the fine you paid.

Although the normal imposed fine is 2,000 baht below is the listed penalty and indeed some have paid more than 2,000 baht when other factors are involved.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be
punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for
each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Thank you so much guys for the valuable info smile.png

I'll do it for sure. It's free on top of that so I'd be stupid not to.

Best regards !

Good decision. It's best just to do it. In my case, I get a day off work to do it. Often, it takes me longer to do the report than it would for me to finish work and be home for the day. That's just the way the cookie crubles since they moved immigration way out to Chaeng Wattana. I got stung once for not doing it because I was unaware that the 90 day clock resets itself if you leave and re-enter the country with a re-entry permit. They got me for 2,000. I won't be making that mistake again.

I do know some people who simply never report. They seem not to cross-reference these things in their computers when you exit the country for whatever reason. I would not want to be one of those people. Things do seem to be getting more streamlined, even if it takes a bit longer here in Thailand. The slip of paper given with the date of your next 90 day report is now printed instead of written by hand! It's only a matter of time before they sync the computers.

If you can't be bothered to go to immigration for whatever reason, you can do it by mail. Within Thailand, it's a damn cheap alternative. In my case, mailing it to them would be cheaper than the gasoline and tolls that I pay going to Chaeng Wattana. However, I don't like my passport out of my hands for any longer than required ... So, I go myself ....

Doing the 90 day report is free. The only cost incurred is set by the corruption level of the office. In my local office, they charge you 20B if they have to make a copy of anything. They go for the maximum on not reporting, so always do it, on or by the date stamped on the form.

Is it corruption to ask for an unofficial fee to do a certificate of residence.

Charging for copies would not be a bribe.

I have never been asked for anything other than the above and now the copies are not available. You have to make a trip into the center of town to get them done.

I'm new to Bangkok - so long as it's received by the day, it's good, right? Do they send anything back to you as a confirmation?

For post you need to send it AT LEAST 15 days before the due date.

You receive a slip back, saying when you reported and when your next report is due. For that purpose you provide a stamped self

addressed envelope.

If reporting in person you can report 15 days before till 7 days after the due date.

Actually it shouldn't cost anything but one time I paid 20 baht I was at chiang khan and the immigration guy told me he didn't know if there was an expense or not and if I could make a donation he would be very grateful. The provincial workers get paid less than in bangkok so I gave him 20 baht for doing it for me

Normally it is free , if your visa is issued in Bangkok...

l have a retirement visa issued in Chonburi because l went there for personal reasons

did my "90 reporting" in the time prevented for that and had to pay also 2000B because my visa came

from a different province ,on top of that ( and l live here already more then 3 years ) I had to pay an extra fine

because l did not report within 3 days of my return from Chonburi to Bkk..l asked them to show me where that law was written

and since when a visa received in Chonburi is not valid in the "rest" of Thailand , guess what , no one could show me , not even the highest

supervisor, and because i stay calm and cool and kept asking to show me proof , they got angry , start shouting at me and tried to get me out

of balance , i just stayed calm , took their names and walked out of there, didn't do any 90 day report since aug 2012, we'll see what happens this august !!

If you had lived here three years you most likely received an additional extension of stay for retirement rather than a visa so your 90 day report would still have been due 90 days from previous report or last entry into country - extensions of stay, other than the first, do not count as 90 days reports. You were likely fined 2,000 baht for not reporting on time as that is the normal fine for that offence. As for where the reporting requirement when moving is written in the immigration act of 2522

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the
Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law
concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the
law concerned.
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official
of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.
3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty
– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival.
5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the
competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as
possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is
an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.
The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as
prescribed by the Director General.
In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a
letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the
Director General .
  • Like 1

Just sayin...

I was here '91-95 and reported religiously.

Been here again since 2003. Not sure why but I got fed up with the reporting bit and just decided to not do it. The lawyer who we hired was horrified. And naturally she was quite timid when it came time for renewal ... where we both had to go together and 'stand' as it were. I told her... I just take that paper out of the passport. If anyone asks lets say I lost it. She was shaking her head. But... it worked. And, although I had traveled in and out of country during that year, I never got asked anything at Immigration. I did this for a couple years. I realize it is russian roulette but I just copped an attitude. Plus I had the mazuma at the time and didnt care. Nowadays, I play by the rules.

I think they wont say boo at Suvarnabumi if you are exiting without the little paper. If you are renewing your visa and they do not see the paper, they might. But I really believe it depends on the officer paying attention, which of course varies.

It doesn't cost anything, so better to do it.

The maximum fine listed on the 90-day report form is 5000B, and who knows what a year's failure to do it will get you.

You also get a red stamp on your passport for failing to do it, detailing the fine you paid.

+1...Fast, easy, and free. No reason not to do it.

Best regards !

Good decision. It's best just to do it. In my case, I get a day off work to do it. Often, it takes me longer to do the report than it would for me to finish work and be home for the day. That's just the way the cookie crubles since they moved immigration way out to Chaeng Wattana. I got stung once for not doing it because I was unaware that the 90 day clock resets itself if you leave and re-enter the country with a re-entry permit. They got me for 2,000. I won't be making that mistake again.

I do know some people who simply never report. They seem not to cross-reference these things in their computers when you exit the country for whatever reason. I would not want to be one of those people. Things do seem to be getting more streamlined, even if it takes a bit longer here in Thailand. The slip of paper given with the date of your next 90 day report is now printed instead of written by hand! It's only a matter of time before they sync the computers.

If you can't be bothered to go to immigration for whatever reason, you can do it by mail. Within Thailand, it's a damn cheap alternative. In my case, mailing it to them would be cheaper than the gasoline and tolls that I pay going to Chaeng Wattana. However, I don't like my passport out of my hands for any longer than required ... So, I go myself ....

I got stung once for not doing it because I was unaware that the 90 day

clock resets itself if you leave and re-enter the country with a

re-entry permit. They got me for 2,000. I won't be making that mistake

again.

How could you be stung if you didn't realise that the clock resets?

If you tried to do your report early and they didn't accept it, they should have told you what date to come back.

You can download TM 47 here:http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

For your first 90 report you will need a copy of the first page of your passport, your last entry stamp and your departure card. There is a rubber stamp on it when the officer signs it that says; "Keep in Passport. The fine of overdue notification is not exceeding 5,000 Baht."

• Like 1

Had an interesting experience for my last 90 day check in a week ago. In early January, I obtained a new retirement visa,so I assumed that my 90 day check in would be 90 days from the issuance of my new retirement visa. That would make sense, but at Pattaya immigration I was informed that 90 day check is SEPARATE from issuance of retirement visa, and that I was therefore more than two months late !

I pointed out that I had carefully obtained my new visa two weeks before my check in for the old one was scheduled, and that I had thought the schedule for the old one was nul and void after I got the new one. By their logic, I would have to check in five times a month for each of my previous retirement visas.

The officer at the 90 day desk was sympathetic, and agreed to forget the matter for 1000 baht tea money. I know a few commanders in the Thai police force, but I didn't want to make a big deal of 1000 baht, so I paid and left.However, a heads up for all my fellow holders of retirement visas - and heads up for Pattaya immigration, because this kind of scam is not good for Thailand's reputation!

Happy New Year!!!:)

Thank you so much guys for the valuable info :)

Best regards !

smileplur

FYI, if you want to do the 90-day report by mail, there's NO NEED to send your passport with the other copies. Just signed copies of your passport's data page, the page with your last entry chop, and visa or re-entry page. NOT your hardcopy passport.

Mac

Here in Chiang Mai they are no longer accepting Mail in reports.

You do not have to do them in person your Girl friend can do them for you. Here in Chiang Mai there are several services that do it for you with an annual fee of 1,000 baht. That does not cover your renewal.

We have posters here in Chiang Mai who brag about never doing it and just paying a 2,000 baht fine once a year.

Good for them but if the law ever changes they might find them selves in a world of trouble. But then again when you live a life trying to beat the system you should expect set backs. For myself it is not worth the risk as I love living here and can see where conceivably they could be deported.

The 90 day is really a stupid thing but what country dosen't have stupid and meaningless laws on their books.

Had an interesting experience for my last 90 day check in a week ago. In early January, I obtained a new retirement visa,so I assumed that my 90 day check in would be 90 days from the issuance of my new retirement visa. That would make sense, but at Pattaya immigration I was informed that 90 day check is SEPARATE from issuance of retirement visa, and that I was therefore more than two months late !

I pointed out that I had carefully obtained my new visa two weeks before my check in for the old one was scheduled, and that I had thought the schedule for the old one was nul and void after I got the new one. By their logic, I would have to check in five times a month for each of my previous retirement visas.

The officer at the 90 day desk was sympathetic, and agreed to forget the matter for 1000 baht tea money. I know a few commanders in the Thai police force, but I didn't want to make a big deal of 1000 baht, so I paid and left.However, a heads up for all my fellow holders of retirement visas - and heads up for Pattaya immigration, because this kind of scam is not good for Thailand's reputation!

Happy New Year!!!smile.png

Best regards !

It's the same everywhere. The 90 report has nothing to do with a visa extension from my experience. The 90 day form clearly states the date you must report again by. The only reset other than a new 90 days stamp is a new arrival stamp, not a visa extension...

Happy New Year!!!smile.png

Best regards !

Only the first application for extension of stay counts as a 90 day report - it is posted on every immigration web site and has been the rule for years. No scam involved.

Procedure and notification
The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Was at Phuket town immigration last month, for a 90 days reporting.

The immigration officer got mixed up with the documentation in my passport, and told me I was being fined. He showed me a document stating that the fine was 5,000 bahts.

Showed him the last reporting 3 months earlier, and everything was ok.

But I was surprised this time I did not have to pay 200 bahts fee.

The immigration officer sitting next to him is the one who normally processes my request. He normally asks for 200 bahts. Sometimes he does ask, and sometimes not. When he does ask, I just pay....

There should never be any 200 baht fee and there should not be a 5,000 baht fine for normal late reporting (that fine is set at 2,000 baht - 5,000 baht is the max fine allowed by law and even with arrest the normal fine is only set at 4,000 baht).

Although I absolutely hate to do the 90-day reporting, I've been treated very fairly by everyone there over the years. I was once nearly 7 weeks overdue (don't ask, I forgot to add my reminder). I arrived, apologized politely, smiled apologetically, they stamped me, no fine. One's own attitude goes a long way sometimes here.

There’s a fine of up to 5,000 Baht if you are late, so keep note of your next 90-day notification of stay date.

It is also possible to file your report by registered mail. But, first check with your local immigration office if they will accept it.

And I think the immigration office site is outdated. It states the fine is 2000 bahts for an overstay.

Last month, the immigration officer showed me a document showing a fine of 5,000 bahts. And that is what he wanted.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Edited by lopburi3
false information and website